Off-Topic Volvo EX90 EV - SUV w/Lidar - teaser video

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
Volvo just posted a teaser video about their new EX90 EV-SUV, and their approach to safety using lidar. Public introduction will be in a few weeks.

Yes, they are solid built. I turo’d a Polestar and ended up getting one for my son.

Oct 12nd reveal…

A new video showing Volvo EX90's user-oriented interior design, infortainment and ADAS. It's utilitarian looking but I like the philosophy of fluid context-aware positioning of app icons and functions. In a different design & materials league from Lucid but worthwhile at a price point.

I'm concerned for the Gravity now that there's so many strong competitors with better emphasis on software and materials

I'm concerned for the Gravity now that there's so many strong competitors with better emphasis on software and materials
Not many vehicles will compete directly with the Gravity. I'm sure it will be priced at a premium tier. Volvos are great luxury cars but not comparable to Lucid's efforts so far.

Not many vehicles will compete directly with the Gravity. I'm sure it will be priced at a premium tier. Volvos are great luxury cars but not comparable to Lucid's efforts so far.
what does the gravity compete with? wouldn't a large sized 7 seater premium/luxury EV SUV still take away from potential gravity customers?

I think Gravity is competing with MB EQS, BMW M60, Cadillac Escolate, Jeep Wagoneer segment. It doesn’t have off-road emphasis like Rivian, so it may be more interior refinement like Range Rover.

The Volvo EX90 is in the 7-seater premium/luxury EV SUV market and competes directly with the MB EQS SUV, Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X, VinFast VF9, so it does seem it competes with the Lucid Gravity too.

The BMW iX/M60 is in a different market because it is only a 5 seater. The iX competes with Polestar 3, Audi Q8 e-tron, Mercedes EQE SUV.

With DDP costing $10k, base level Gravity would have to be ideally priced starting at approximately $80-$85k and offer at least 400mi+ range to be competitive.

I know we are all thinking it, just give me that sweet sweet Gravity Sapphire 😁

what does the gravity compete with? wouldn't a large sized 7 seater premium/luxury EV SUV still take away from potential gravity customers?
Probably to some extent, but I'm thinking the Gravity will compete mainly with SUVs at the over-$100k level: EQS, Range rover. Though some will choose Hyundai's Ioniq 7 for the value.

Looked good enough to me ... Reserved one a few seconds ago!
hedging my bets .. can no longer wait for Rivian to decide whether or not they'll deliver us a R1S.

The Volvo EX90 is in the 7-seater premium/luxury EV SUV market and competes directly with the MB EQS SUV, Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X, VinFast VF9, so it does seem it competes with the Lucid Gravity too.

The BMW iX/M60 is in a different market because it is only a 5 seater. The iX competes with Polestar 3, Audi Q8 e-tron, Mercedes EQE SUV.

With DDP costing $10k, base level Gravity would have to be ideally priced starting at approximately $80-$85k and offer at least 400mi+ range to be competitive.
How fast is order to delivery?

3 weeks after I ordered P*2, I saw a new physical location opened up in Houston. Went back online, order immediately from Houston deliver and cancel Austin delivery, and Voila! Online order to deliver totally less than 1 month.

How fast is order to delivery?

3 weeks after I ordered P*2, I saw a new physical location opened up in Houston. Went back online, order immediately from Houston deliver and cancel Austin delivery, and Voila! Online order to deliver totally less than 1 month.
The EX90 is open only for reservations ... order confirmation is not until Fall 2023 and delivery 2024.

The EX90 is open only for reservations ... order confirmation is not until Fall 2023 and delivery 2024.
I just checked it out. It is basically look just like Polestar 2 outside, a little taller with extra longer wheelbase and $30k more price tag. Dashboard looks more minimalic than Polestar 2.

I just checked it out. It is basically look just like Polestar 2 outside, a little taller with extra longer wheelbase and $30k more price tag. Dashboard looks more minimalic than Polestar 2.
The Polestar 2 is just not large enough for us .. w/ 2 large dogs, my wife needs a sizeable SUV to replace her Sequoia. Our kids are a bit older now, so she can downsize a bit, but not too much .. that's why the Rivian R1S looked like the perfect fit .. the Hummer EV SUV may be a little bigger than we need, but at this point, we're betting on any large(r) EV SUV that will actually deliver us a vehicle. Hence the Volvo order .. at this point, 1st come, 1st served!

btw, w/in 2 minutes of placing the Volvo EX90 reservation, I got a call from the dealership confirming the information provided. The person told me that they expect to touch base w/ us every month or so until order and delivery. .. Sounded like my Lucid experience ... a far cry from the BS I've gotten from Rivian .. and the total silence I've received from GMC. 🤞

The Polestar 2 is just not large enough for us .. w/ 2 large dogs, my wife needs a sizeable SUV to replace her Sequoia. Our kids are a bit older now, so she can downsize a bit, but not too much .. that's why the Rivian R1S looked like the perfect fit .. the Hummer EV SUV may be a little bigger than we need, but at this point, we're betting on any large(r) EV SUV that will actually deliver us a vehicle. Hence the Volvo order .. at this point, 1st come, 1st served!

btw, w/in 2 minutes of placing the Volvo EX90 reservation, I got a call from the dealership confirming the information provided. The person told me that they expect to touch base w/ us every month or so until order and delivery. .. Sounded like my Lucid experience ... a far cry from the BS I've gotten from Rivian .. and the total silence I've received from GMC. 🤞
Has it been revealed?
Polestar 2 is not enough space. I think it might even be smaller than Model-3. But when you upgrade the ventilated Napa leather, it feels close to Lucid Air, but smaller cabin and less attractive dash.
I feel R1S is any soccer mom’s perfect SUV. I wish there is more review for this EX90…

And even you put down 500 online deposit, will there be dealership MSRP mark up?

Has it been revealed?
Polestar 2 is not enough space. I think it might even be smaller than Model-3. But when you upgrade the ventilated Napa leather, it feels close to Lucid Air, but smaller cabin and less attractive dash.
I feel R1S is any soccer mom’s perfect SUV. I wish there is more review for this EX90…

And even you put down 500 online deposit, will there be dealership MSRP mark up?
Apparently revealed yesterday. Not sure if it is any indication (i.e. whether or not they've issued sequential order numbers starting at 1), but my order no. is in the low 11 thousands.

Agreed; the R1S was the perfect size for my wife's needs .. unfortunately, I'm in limbo there and may not be getting a delivery any time soon. We owned a Model Y, but that was too small for my wife's needs, so expect that the Polestar 2 is way too small as well.

Like others, the $500 is refundable (at least until confirmation of the order .. which is one year away.. Fall 2023). No idea if the dealer will mark it up. If they do, I'm not confirming the order. I looked at the Mercedes EQS prior to confirming my Lucid, and the dealer I've gone to for the past decade wanted a $50K upcharge on the EQS .. I placed the Lucid Air order that night. (I also didn't like the styling of the EQS, the range, the lack of a frunk, etc., but even if all else was equal, the dealer markup is a showstopper for me).

Regarding the rising popularity of XPeng in Europe, does their new SUV look like Lucid and Volvo just made a new baby?

Back