Lucid Motors is stuck in a fight over the name of its Gravity SUV

I will say one of the reasons I didn’t buy an Air was because even though I am a car nut who really likes the car and hopes Lucid is mega successful, I think there is a non-zero chance they cease to exist other than as a tech partner for another maker. This kind of foolish mistake and the accompanying bad press if it lingers is amateur hour - somebody should be getting fired for the lack of research.

This is not illogical, and it's exactly the kind of reasoning that I worry might become a drag on the SUV sales if Lucid allows this issue to fester as order-taking approaches.

Lucid Atmosphere
Lucid Star
Lucid Dream
Lucid Opal
Lucid Diamond
Lucid Pearl
Lucid Whatever 😜

Another thread just reminded me that a while back I suggested "Quantum" as a name for the SUV if Lucid doesn't got with "Gravity" . . . as in quantum gravity.

This is not illogical, and it's exactly the kind of reasoning that I worry might become a drag on the SUV sales if Lucid allows this issue to fester as order-taking approaches.

Another thread just reminded me that a while back I suggested "Quantum" as a name for the SUV if Lucid doesn't got with "Gravity" . . . as in quantum gravity.
Actually quantum sounds nice, but again, there might be TM issues - quantum scape SSD battery company

Lucid Atmosphere
Lucid Star
Lucid Dream
Lucid Opal
Lucid Diamond
Lucid Pearl
Lucid Whatever 😜

I will say one of the reasons I didn’t buy an Air was because even though I am a car nut who really likes the car and hopes Lucid is mega successful, I think there is a non-zero chance they cease to exist other than as a tech partner for another maker. This kind of foolish mistake and the accompanying bad press if it lingers is amateur hour - somebody should be getting fired for the lack of research.
If you really like driving and admire engineering, you are making a big mistake missing out on a Lucid daily drive! What’s the point in living and missing all the excitement because you don’t like taking a small risk that is not injurious to your health?

I’m in the opposite boat, though there are comments made about Lucid’s viability as a company, I strongly believe their tech, engineering and execution is what puts them apart from every other car company in the world- considering EV’s are here to stay and will eventually be ubiquitous no matter what haters say.

I’ve been enjoying my Lucid immensely over the past year- still get a grin when I get in the car- such is the magnitude of this machine.

Sitting here in an 18" snowstorm, thought I would share the following link. You can do your own US Trademark Office search for free. There are 2000 live tm's for Gravity. And 2000 dead ones

Automobiles are USPTO class 12.

You have no idea how hard it is to get accurate results upon which you can rely to file an application. After 35 years, I still hire search firms. But have fun!

Last edited:
If you really like driving and admire engineering, you are making a big mistake missing out on a Lucid daily drive! What’s the point in living and missing all the excitement because you don’t like taking a small risk that is not injurious to your health?

I’m in the opposite boat, though there are comments made about Lucid’s viability as a company, I strongly believe their tech, engineering and execution is what puts them apart from every other car company in the world- considering EV’s are here to stay and will eventually be ubiquitous no matter what haters say.

I’ve been enjoying my Lucid immensely over the past year- still get a grin when I get in the car- such is the magnitude of this machine.
Not missing any excitement - Tesla Model S Plaid, 911 Turbo, Cayenne GTS. Wanted to buy a Lucid, couldn’t go through with my reservation due to some dealbreakers that applied to only me. I think the Lucid is fantastic and wanted to make it work but it just wasn’t going to for me.

Not missing any excitement - Tesla Model S Plaid, 911 Turbo, Cayenne GTS. Wanted to buy a Lucid, couldn’t go through with my reservation due to some dealbreakers that applied to only me. I think the Lucid is fantastic and wanted to make it work but it just wasn’t going to for me.
Understand. In my case , I “was” a big fan of Ferrari and Aston Martin V12’s, thought of spending 150k on a used one. But after driving electric cars, I lost interest in ICE cars.

Enjoy your rides! You have a pretty pretty pretty good garage there! You won’t get the feel of a 911 turbo with a Lucid.

Understand. In my case , I “was” a big fan of Ferrari and Aston Martin V12’s, thought of spending 150k on a used one. But after driving electric cars, I lost interest in ICE cars.

The car I sold in 2015 to make room for a Tesla Model S P90D was an Audi R8 V10 Spyder. I loved that R8 and was afraid I'd miss the glorious roar of its engine and its superb 6-speed manual. But I instantly fell in love with the seamless low whine that thrust the Tesla forward like a shot out of a noiseless cannon, and I never looked back.

The only ICE vehicle I've bought since then was a 2018 Honda Odyssey which we needed for its passenger-hauling capability. The Gravity will meet that need, and the ICE days in our household will come to an end.

I used to subscribe to every car magazine under the sun. These days, if I come across an internet article about compression or gear ratios, fuel injection, valve timing, oil viscosity, rpm limits, exhaust back pressure, etc., my eyes just glaze over. It grabs my interest about as much as an article on how best to keep your VHS tapes stored.

Haha yeah I agree - right now my Cayenne is under a car cover and I haven’t driven the 911 once in the last 3 weeks. My wife thinks I should just sell them but I’ll try to hold on as long as I can.

Back