Lucid Features and Vaklue

BS8899

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Lucid Air Features and Value

I am approaching my first anniversary of owning my Lucid AGT.

I am wondering:

• Is the LIDAR on the Lucid AIR being used in any useful features on the Lucid? Could these same features be implemented without the LIDAR (as competitors have done)?

Asked differently, will LIDAR on the Lucid ever enable any useful and unique features ahead of their competition?
  • What do you think of the value proposition of DreamDrivePro?
  • Is it worth the price?
  • Don’t most “luxury” cars/SUVs over $60,000 also have many of the same features?

• What about DashCams? Events recording? Sentry mode?
  • Will ANDROID Auto ever come to the Lucid Air?

The answers to all these questions are already around the forum, unless you are trying to make a consolidated list for yourself? Either way...

1) It is my understanding Lidar is currently being used for Traffic Jam Assist which is not available in other cars, AFAIK.
2) DDPro I knew was always a gamblen for future implementation
3) That's a personal thing but for me yes because I wanted a fully loaded car
4) Not sure they all do, but there certain things that seem common like lane keep and lane centering. Traffic Jam Assist seems to be the one missing, but I also am not sure how many cars will still lane center under 25 mph like the Lucid does.
5) I've heard they are working on it. Like I said in a previous post, if Dash Cams are so important, it doesn't take more than an hour to install one yourself. Seems silly to keep complaining about something you can remedy easily. Sentry mode, would be nice but at the expense of draining our previous batteries quite a bit. Ask @joec about keeping sentry mode on at the airport.
6) Again, they've said they are still working on it.

Bob, regarding #1, if my definition of traffic jam assist is the same as yours (hands free driving under some predefined speed I can’t recall…15-20?), my BMW i4 has it.

Bob, regarding #1, if my definition of traffic jam assist is the same as yours (hands free driving under some predefined speed I can’t recall…15-20?), my BMW i4 has it.
Traffic Jam Assist is where the car will self drive in the absence of predefined lane markings using the Lidar to follow the car in front of you. If that's the same, I retract my statement =)

Sentry mode would definitely come at a cost to battery. Even in my old Tesla, when I took a week-long trip to Hawaii, if I had left it on all week, my battery would have been too drained to make it home by the time I got back. So the one time I needed it most, I had to turn it off.

So the question would be, do Lucid owners want to accept a similar compromise to their battery drain?

Would folks rather have it and live with some unspecified amount of drain? Or would it be better for them just not to offer it, since they’d likely never hear the end of battery drain complaints?

Sometimes if you can’t offer a feature without major compromise, it’s better to just not do it at all. So I could see why they might not be thrilled about offering it. Doesn’t mean they’ll never do it, but it does mean if you want it (and can accept the drain) you should let them know. The more customers ask for it, the more likely they’ll do it.

Last edited:
Is the LIDAR on the Lucid AIR being used in any useful features on the Lucid?
The only Lidar feature that I see so far is "Lidar blocked" message when it rains.
Could these same features be implemented without the LIDAR (as competitors have done)?
Currently, Lucid ADAS is a basic radar equivalent features that does not need Lidar to get those features.

Asked differently, will LIDAR on the Lucid ever enable any useful and unique features ahead of their competition?
That's what they hope for in the future. It will enable hands-off, eyes-off driving:

A0mm3O6.jpg

• What do you think of the value proposition of DreamDrivePro?
Currently, it's a simple 1) adaptive cruise control and 2) hands-on self-steering. Not very valuable as a luxury car since 2017 GM SuperCruise, and later Ford BlueCruise.. can already do that with Auto Lane Change.

• Is it worth the price?
Not now. It's a future bet.
  • Don’t most “luxury” cars/SUVs over $60,000 also have many of the same features?

I wouldn't call a $30,000 Chevrolet EUV with 1) adaptive cruise control and 2) hands-off self-steering ($27,800+ $2,200 for SuperCruise before $7,500 tax incentive) a luxury car.

As far as DashCam is concerned, all the cameras are already there. It is a matter of proving access to the video if the owners desired to record. That's what Rivian did recently. Yes, I can buy a separate DashCam from Amazon. The e pain is having to route and conceal the power cords. Sentry mode and associated battery drain is a legitimate concern. That said, it is also a tradeoff for the owner to decide. I am sure one can set a limit for the minimum battery level for shutoff.

I don't see LIDAR being used in any beneficial manner on the Lucid. It probably takes a fair amount of software work to make LIDAR useful. And Lucid is not exactly a software powerhouse. Unlike the 3D scanning LIDARS on the self-driving taxis, (I believe) the Lucid LIDAR is a stationary 1D-2D (light) ranging device with a limited front-view. If true, it is merely an augmentation to the microwave/ultrasound sensors, not real 3D topographical mapping. It seems to me it has limited value-add. Someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in to educate us all.

HA/Lane-keep are pretty much everywhere. I hope DreamDrive is more than these two features. Haven't tried self-park in a while. The last time my daughter tried it, it scared the living daylight out of her.

The best value and feature of my AGT is its dynamic capability. A pure joy to drive in all on road conditions. Absolutely brilliant suspension and astonishing power delivery. The interior luxury, driver seating position, exterior design and more than ample passenger and storage space set it apart from any competition. Its assistance features discussed above work for me and add to its safety. A unique value. Of course its range is superior as well. I am grateful for this marvel of design and engineering!

I would love sentry mode. It’s always better to have features than to not. Tesla allowed you to enable and disable it (even from the app which was incredibly useful). For the day to day sentry mode would be great! As a biproduct, I believe phone key would benefit greatly from having the car always on. Thus it would change it’s reliability above the current 50ish percent.

TLDR; Why wouldn’t we want sentry mode if we could turn it off? More features the better in my eyes.

The best value and feature of my AGT is its dynamic capability. A pure joy to drive in all on road conditions. Absolutely brilliant suspension and astonishing power delivery. The interior luxury, driver seating position, exterior design and more than ample passenger and storage space set it apart from any competition. Its assistance features discussed above work for me and add to its safety. A unique value. Of course its range is superior as well. I am grateful for this marvel of design and engineering!
Agree with you RE: the mechanical attributes of the AGT and its superior range. When I decided to purchase my AGT, I regularly commute between Phoenix and LA (400 miles door-to-door). I thought the 516 mile range would get me there without stopping. In reality, it won't, not if you are driving @75+mph. Nevertheless, the AGT is a good mechanical car and fun to drive. My regret is that Lucid short-changed themselves by poor choices and second-rated electronic/SW implementation. Nowadays, enjoyment of the car is not just the acceleration and handling. It is also all the infotainment, safety, etc.. While I think Lucid have done a good job mechanically, a lot of the gee-whiz of acceleration/handling is simply the difference in the physics between ICE and EVs. Lucid did a good job harnessing the mechanical/physics, they need to do better on the electronics/SW.

If one looks at the trend of Lucid's delivery and its stock price, consumers are not embracing the technology Lucid delivers for the money.

Agree with you RE: the mechanical attributes of the AGT and its superior range. When I decided to purchase my AGT, I regularly commute between Phoenix and LA (400 miles door-to-door). I thought the 516 mile range would get me there without stopping. In reality, it won't, not if you are driving @75+mph. Nevertheless, the AGT is a good mechanical car and fun to drive. My regret is that Lucid short-changed themselves by poor choices and second-rated electronic/SW implementation. Nowadays, enjoyment of the car is not just the acceleration and handling. It is also all the infotainment, safety, etc.. While I think Lucid have done a good job mechanically, a lot of the gee-whiz of acceleration/handling is simply the difference in the physics between ICE and EVs. Lucid did a good job harnessing the mechanical/physics, they need to do better on the electronics/SW.

If one looks at the trend of Lucid's delivery and its stock price, consumers are not embracing the technology Lucid delivers for the money.
Very well put. I’ve been telling people that the Air is the best car I’ve owned but not the best EV I’ve owned. If they perfect the software then that will change quickly.

Reactions: DBV

This has been repeated here dozens of times, and their software stack has improved by orders of magnitude since they launched the Air. What they showed off for the Gravity was superior yet.

Give it time.

Back