EV SUV range: Who hits 400 miles first?

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
After looking at the current and near future slate of EVs, it’s becoming more apparent how remarkable the Lucid Air is in terms of range, cost, power, luxury, looks, and (soon!) software. The Rolls Royce Spectre EV and GM Celestiq are $300K+ and don’t measure up to the Air overall in terms of range and power.

Rivians can’t do more than 320 miles with the benefit of a large battery pack but saddled by the worst efficiency amongst all current EVs. The Polestar 3 won’t make much more than 300 mi in an EPA test. The BMW iX gets 340 or so miles but damn, it’s ugly. I seriously doubt the Lotus Eletre or Volvo EX90 will do much better. The Kia EV9 and Hyundai Ioniq 7 don’t use much larger battery packs than their smaller brethren, so there will be range limitations there, too. So, which manufacturer makes the first EPA rated 400 mi EV SUV?

Maybe… the Lucid Gravity? Here’s hoping! Or is 400 mi range even possible with the boxy shape of an SUV?

Maybe eletric cars will be the death knell for the atrocity known as the SUV. Otherwise, my money is on Lucid.

The Chinese are brewing together some vehicle that allegedly gets 600+ miles of range... We will see and at what cost (200kw pack if I remember correctly).

I think it'll take a major advance in battery construction (new anode etc) for physics reasons. Tall vehicles with increased ground clearance have terrible aerodynamics.

I like R1S for its functionalities, simplicity and modern look. I don’t like traditional like with so many ridges, groove and massive fake grille. R1S is weak in range, I am anxious to see what gravity will offer.

I like R1S for its functionalities, simplicity and modern look. I don’t like traditional like with so many ridges, groove and massive fake grille. R1S is weak in range, I am anxious to see what gravity will offer.
Do you still have an R1S on order? I’m considering a Gravity if it rolls out before my R1S is delivered early to mid next year. As it stands, I’m at 76k with my options AND I should be getting the $7,500. That makes my net price $68,500, which would be hard to walk away from, when the Gravity may be 6 figures +.

Do you still have an R1S on order? I’m considering a Gravity if it rolls out before my R1S is delivered early to mid next year. As it stands, I’m at 76k with my options AND I should be getting the $7,500. That makes my net price $68,500, which would be hard to walk away from, when the Gravity may be 6 figures +.
I have my order at $88k configured, but now whatever I configured wouldn’t count and it will be at market price when it is produced as they took away my specs and classified me as uncommitted reservation. I’m afraid by the time they called me for it, it may be way over that price. This is my wife car, she wants ample 3rd rows space to take her relatives. Only if Model-X can sit adults in 3rd rows… right now in EV space, this is best option. So I am hoping for Gravity. But I doubt Gravity will use air suspension nor focus on off-road capabilities.

I have my order at $88k configured, but now whatever I configured wouldn’t count and it will be at market price when it is produced as they took away my specs and classified me as uncommitted reservation. I’m afraid by the time they called me for it, it may be way over that price. This is my wife car, she wants ample 3rd rows space to take her relatives. Only if Model-X can sit adults in 3rd rows… right now in EV space, this is best option. So I am hoping for Gravity. But I doubt Gravity will use air suspension nor focus on off-road capabilities.
This is why we sold our brand new Tesla Model X 2022 and made way for the Lucid. Felt like it should NOT be called a genuine 3-row SUV. The third row cannot seat even kids properly. The trunk space left with the 3rd row up would leave no room for even one full size suitcase. And if you were to fold the 3rd row to make way for more trunk space, well then the difference between that and a Model Y was negligible.

The aerodynamics are challenging with the SUV body shape. Fisker Ocean is rumored to be around 360-370 miles, which might be the highest range so far. Lucid may be the ones to pull it off.

This is why we sold our brand new Tesla Model X 2022 and made way for the Lucid. Felt like it should NOT be called a genuine 3-row SUV. The third row cannot seat even kids properly. The trunk space left with the 3rd row up would leave no room for even one full size suitcase. And if you were to fold the 3rd row to make way for more trunk space, well then the difference between that and a Model Y was negligible.
Of topic, how long you have to wait for your 2023 Model X? I’m curious. Tesla is mostly focused on Model-3 and Model-Y. Did you wait more than a year?

Of topic, how long you have to wait for your 2023 Model X? I’m curious. Tesla is mostly focused on Model-3 and Model-Y. Did you wait more than a year?
Extremely close to a year...11 months to be exact...which turned out to be a blessing in disguise since we started seeing and reading horrid stories about Model X deliveries on the TMC forums. Decided to sell it within a week or so of taking delivery...making way for the Lucid

If I were in your shoes I would probably do the same and stick with the Rivian, unless Lucid starts taking orders before the Rivian delivery AND can deliver in a “reasonable” time frame. It took Rivian 2+ more years than their initial delivery estimates and it’s hard to really know how far along the Gravity is or if it will face those types of delays. My very uneducated guess is that it comes out at the price point of a GT. I don’t see how it could be less in this inflationary environment.

There is no way my wife would feel comfortable paying 150k +/- for an suv, so in my case it’s going to be Rivian for sure. I just wish it had a range of 400 miles. I’m spoiled by my GT and love driving it like The Stig!

If memory serves me correctly, the Gravity is supposed to be cheaper. Somewhere on these forums someone mentioned 2024 as the projected date for release/production according to members on the team.

One to two years is a lot of time to completely revamp design and targeted audience. I think it would be fair to set expectations at current Air prices and plus/minus some percentage factor. My wife will not a car as expensive as the GT for her daily driver, nor does she care about most of the features.

I hope prices are lower or on par with the Air trim for the lowest released trim on the Gravity.

Back