Vents smell like socks 🧦

blueice89

Cars
Lucid 22”AGT quantum
I think there is a weird smell coming from the vent I believe it’s coinciding with change of seasons from summer to winter or hotter to colder weather. Based in Arizona so we use ac less but still use it. When the ac comes on now it kind of smells like sharp mildew or dirty stocks. I think on my other cars when this has happened people recommend cleaning the vents. Curious what you all are doing to keep the vents smelling good. Also is anyone else having this happen now?

Yes. Both cars are having this issue so it is either 1) a localized climate issue (SoCal here)
2) a user issue (a/c on with windows open)
3) design issue (my other non-Lucid cars have it)

This can happen with home HVAC systems also when they switch back and forth between heating and cooling. The condensation from the cooling remains on the coil and when it warms it, things like mold can grow. I have had to clean the coil on my HVAC system to get rid of the smell. I imagine something similar is required for your car. Maybe if you just run the heat on full blast for a while it will dry out the coil and the smell will go away.

From day one I’ve had an odd odor when I first get into the car (no, even after showering ;)). The odor goes away within a minute after the AC or heating goes on. So mine is almost the opposite of what’s discussed here. I haven’t been able to figure out what’s causing it.

My car smells fine.

It’s likely mold. And you don’t want that in your car.

The cabin air filter could need a change. Or you could have your local detailer flush your HVAC system.

Or text Customer Care and ask them for advice.

My car smells fine.

It’s likely mold. And you don’t want that in your car.

The cabin air filter could need a change. Or you could have your local detailer flush your HVAC system.

Or text Customer Care and ask them for advice.
If I’m interpreting the manufacturing date label on the drivers side correctly, I believe the first two digits, 51, refer to the 51st day of the year. That might mean my car was either sitting in the Lucid lot in Arizona or somewhere else for several months.

Is it possible it accumulated Arizona dust over those months within the vents? There certainly is no evidence that I can see and I’m pretty anal about keeping the car clean inside & out.

If I’m interpreting the manufacturing date label on the drivers side correctly, I believe the first two digits, 51, refer to the 51st day of the year. That might mean my car was either sitting in the Lucid lot in Arizona or somewhere else for several months.

Is it possible it accumulated Arizona dust over those months within the vents? There certainly is no evidence that I can see and I’m pretty anal about keeping the car clean inside & out.
If you want exact production date (month/year) it should be on the vin label sticker A pillar door jamb.
I agree with post comments and would start with replacing cabin air filters.

I have an alternative theory because it reminds me just a little bit of the new leather smell aged poorly. Either way, a new cabin filter is probably the solution.

If you want exact production date (month/year) it should be on the vin label sticker A pillar door jamb.
I agree with post comments and would start with replacing cabin air filters.
Yes, that’s the number I mentioned above, ‘51/2023’. I assume that actually means the 51st day of 2023. I suppose it could also mean May 1, 2023, but I’d bet the 51st day of 2023.

Yes, that’s the number I mentioned above, ‘51/2023’. I assume that actually means the 51st day of 2023. I suppose it could also mean May 1, 2023, but I’d bet the 51st day of 2023.
Do you mind posting a picture with VIN blacked out? My understanding was always that is should be MM/YY format. See image below.

Attachments

• 20231115_133543.jpg
    20231115_133543.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Have you guys had your filters replaced? Never had this problem in 2 years, also SoCal.

In a Lucid Air sleek, a marvel of the street,
A peculiar problem arose, not so discreet.
This car, a vision of electric delight,
Held within its vents a scent not quite right.

Not a scent of leather, nor of machine's grace,
But a whiff of gym socks, out of place.
This aroma, so bold, in a car so airy,
Made the cabin feel less than extraordinary.

"Alas!" cried the driver, in this futuristic scene,
"My Lucid Air's elegance is now not so clean.
This smell, it must go, it’s time for a fix,
Not with sprays or perfumes, but a trick from my tricks."

The solution was simple, yet ever so smart,
A change of the cabin filter, a fresh new start.
For tucked in the dash, hidden from view,
Was the source of the smell, offending the crew.

With a twist and a turn, the old filter came out,
Holding odors of socks, and other such clout.
In its place, a new filter, so fresh and so clean,
Was fitted with ease, in the machine.

The Lucid Air hummed, as it took to the road,
Now free of the scent that once oddly glowed.
The air was now crisp, like a new morning's frost,
The memory of sock-smells completely lost.

So let this be a lesson, in your electric ride,
Keep it crisp, keep it clean, in your automotive pride.
A simple change of the filter, in your car's inner lair,
Can refresh every journey in your Lucid Air!

Have you guys had your filters replaced? Never had this problem in 2 years, also SoCal.
What’s hard to understand is why I’ve had this from the day of delivery. It’s not as if the filter has had time to get dirty. Further, if it’s the vents or a filter issue, why does the odor clear within a minute or two of the HVAC system kicking on? It’s almost as if there’s some material in the car’s interior that’s off-gassing and becomes a non-issue once fresh air is entrained into the car.

Since I have zero issues with the car and the odor clears quickly, I haven’t been inclined to make an appointment with the SC.

We're not having a moldy smell in our Air, but we're getting a very strong moldy odor in our Tesla Model S. The Tesla system was cleaned on its last service visit and the filter replaced, but the smell returned within a couple of weeks. We don't know what to try next.

What’s hard to understand is why I’ve had this from the day of delivery. It’s not as if the filter has had time to get dirty. Further, if it’s the vents or a filter issue, why does the odor clear within a minute or two of the HVAC system kicking on? It’s almost as if there’s some material in the car’s interior that’s off-gassing and becomes a non-issue once fresh air is entrained into the car.

Since I have zero issues with the car and the odor clears quickly, I haven’t been inclined to make an appointment with the SC.
Exact same situation. Clears up and only lasts few minutes. Not enough to being to service. Just waiting for annual service at this point.

Exact same situation. Clears up and only lasts few minutes. Not enough to being to service. Just waiting for annual service at this point.
This point exactly. I suspect the leather is causing the non-moldy smell. Reminds me of vinegar. Wife hated the smell when getting into the car.

HVAC clears it up nicely.

Back