Floor Mats -- Warning

EthanTrull

Cars
Lucid Air Dream Edition
I have a set of the grey all-weather mats. I took my car in for service. When I went to pick the car up, the service was done but they were still detailing the car. I was in a big hurry, and I asked them to stop cleaning and just give me the car back. Which they very nicely did. However, the carpets still seemed a touch damp and the car smelled like carpet cleaner.

Over the next few days, my car started to reek like carpet cleaner. If I left in in my (warm) garage with the windows up, it was truly pungent. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the smell. I even took it to a detailer and paid them to clean the entire interior. The smell persisted. I asked the service center to change the cabin air filters but they said that would not help. Then, I noticed that the smell seemed to be coming from the all-weather floor mats. I tried to clean them several ways. I ended up taking them into the shower with a brush and soap. It helped, but within 24 hours of putting them back in the car I could smell it again. When I replaced them with my original carpet mats, the smell seemed to abate.

I have no idea if this problem is directly associated with whatever products the Lucid detailer used. But I have been experimenting with leaving the mats out of the car and I am pretty sure I have found the source of the smell. If you have the all-weather mats, you might want to consider taking them out of the car when you take it in for service.

I have a set of the grey all-weather mats. I took my car in for service. When I went to pick the car up, the service was done but they were still detailing the car. I was in a big hurry, and I asked them to stop cleaning and just give me the car back. Which they very nicely did. However, the carpets still seemed a touch damp and the car smelled like carpet cleaner.

Over the next few days, my car started to reek like carpet cleaner. If I left in in my (warm) garage with the windows up, it was truly pungent. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the smell. I even took it to a detailer and paid them to clean the entire interior. The smell persisted. I asked the service center to change the cabin air filters but they said that would not help. Then, I noticed that the smell seemed to be coming from the all-weather floor mats. I tried to clean them several ways. I ended up taking them into the shower with a brush and soap. It helped, but within 24 hours of putting them back in the car I could smell it again. When I replaced them with my original carpet mats, the smell seemed to abate.

I have no idea if this problem is directly associated with whatever products the Lucid detailer used. But I have been experimenting with leaving the mats out of the car and I am pretty sure I have found the source of the smell. If you have the all-weather mats, you might want to consider taking them out of the car when you take it in for service.
I’ve had the car serviced and have the all weather mats. Never noticed any particular smell. Are you saying this only happens when they’re cleaned?

Do you have the lucid all weather mats or mats from somewhere else (amazon)?

You say you were in a big hurry and asked them to stop cleaning and give you the car. Perhaps that caused them to leave a cleaning fluid on that was supposed to be wiped off fairly quickly. Just wondering?

Back