A Road Trip, Some Observations, and Questions

Bnwbaron

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
I was happy to take the AT on its first road trip to Vegas last weekend. We left Anaheim Hills with 350mi on the indicator. Initially, the navigator said I would make Vegas with ~90 miles left (Anaheim Hills to Vegas is 256 mi.). By the time I hit Baker (about 2/3rds of the way to Vegas), the navigator said I would arrive in Vegas with ~30 miles to spare on the battery—I didn’t chance it. If anyone is curious, the Baker EA was fine. Plenty of open & working stations, and mine worked after what I have come to expect as the plug-unplug-plug-use the Lucid app sequence.

All in all, a great experience. The car drives live a dream and has a ton of room. Anyone on the fence….jump. The car is awesome. Below are some observations/questions.

Observations:
There is a ton of interior space. My friends even commented, and they are not the frivolous complementing type.
The car looks sharp. I got a lot of looks, questions, and compliments….two from Tesla drivers.
Frunk/trunk is great-plenty of luggage space.
Put it in sprint and stomp on the pedal to get your friends to stop talking for a few seconds.
Highway Assist and Adaptive CC are cool, but Highway Assist is not worth 9k (IMO). Same comments for the Surround Sound and bubble roof—cool, but not worth the $$ unless that stuff is really important to you, and I fully recognize that for some, it is.
Parking Assist is not ready for production, at least not in my car. The lag made it unusable.
I have my doubts about accident avoidance. I have rolled up close to cars in front of me, and my car gives no indication it will stop. I’m thinking of trying it out with a blanket strung up from a couple trees.

Questions:
How effective/strong are your in-dash AC fans and seat fans?
If I turn the A/C (or heater) fan to level 10, it sounds like an aircraft is inside my dashboard. Not like anything is wrong, just like there is an extremely strong airflow. But there isn’t. On level 10, I would say the flow of the air coming from the vent is not at all powerful. Would you describe yours as same??
Similarly, with the seat fan on level 3, I don’t get much air flow, especially on the back of the seat. Anyone else have the same sense? I expected a much more aggressive air flow out of the seat fans.

Thanks for reading and for any responses.

I was happy to take the AT on its first road trip to Vegas last weekend. We left Anaheim Hills with 350mi on the indicator. Initially, the navigator said I would make Vegas with ~90 miles left (Anaheim Hills to Vegas is 256 mi.). By the time I hit Baker (about 2/3rds of the way to Vegas), the navigator said I would arrive in Vegas with ~30 miles to spare on the battery—I didn’t chance it. If anyone is curious, the Baker EA was fine. Plenty of open & working stations, and mine worked after what I have come to expect as the plug-unplug-plug-use the Lucid app sequence.

All in all, a great experience. The car drives live a dream and has a ton of room. Anyone on the fence….jump. The car is awesome. Below are some observations/questions.

Observations:
There is a ton of interior space. My friends even commented, and they are not the frivolous complementing type.
The car looks sharp. I got a lot of looks, questions, and compliments….two from Tesla drivers.
Frunk/trunk is great-plenty of luggage space.
Put it in sprint and stomp on the pedal to get your friends to stop talking for a few seconds.
Highway Assist and Adaptive CC are cool, but Highway Assist is not worth 9k (IMO). Same comments for the Surround Sound and bubble roof—cool, but not worth the $$ unless that stuff is really important to you, and I fully recognize that for some, it is.
Parking Assist is not ready for production, at least not in my car. The lag made it unusable.
I have my doubts about accident avoidance. I have rolled up close to cars in front of me, and my car gives no indication it will stop. I’m thinking of trying it out with a blanket strung up from a couple trees.

Questions:
If I turn the A/C (or heater) fan to level 10, it sounds like an aircraft is inside my dashboard. Not like anything is wrong, just like there is an extremely strong airflow. But there isn’t. On level 10, I would say the flow of the air coming from the vent is not at all powerful. Would you describe yours as same??
Similarly, with the seat fan on level 3, I don’t get much air flow, especially on the back of the seat. Anyone else have the same sense? I expected a much more aggressive air flow out of the seat fans.

Nice writeup. Thanks.

Yeah, my friends continue to be impressed with the interior space. And the trunk/frunk space. They marvel when I can fit a roller board suitcase, small duffel, and my laptop messenger bag in the lower part of the frunk. I could easily take four passengers in this car with luggage for a two-week trip for each of us. Without taking up any room in the passenger compartment. Wish I had had this car when I moved from Philly to CA in my 20s.

Questions:

i try to pre-heat at 80F the car 2mins before departure. it warms up the interior pretty fast. as soon as i enter the car, i bring it down to low 70s but once i start driving, i may raise it back up to 80 depending on how cold it is inside the car. i (and others) have noticed that once you start driving the heat is not as effective. not sure why. i started a thread called 'weak heat' and many forum members have said the same.

i also started using the seat heaters and that helps but if you have rear passengers then it's an issue.

I agree with most of your comments based on my experience of 800 miles in Pure. The epa range of AT is 425 miles but if you actually charge to 100% and you want to go 256 miles, Lucid as you know uses 4.6 miles per kWh to calculate. In the real world you get 20% less at 70mph. So 100% battery is 340 mlies in your car. But you don't want to arrive below 15% or so. That means 290 miles. So, yes that would give you a range of about 35 miles when you arrive. So, no surprise at all in your findings.

i try to pre-heat at 80F the car 2mins before departure. it warms up the interior pretty fast. as soon as i enter the car, i bring it down to low 70s but once i start driving, i may raise it back up to 80 depending on how cold it is inside the car. i (and others) have noticed that once you start driving the heat is not as effective. not sure why. i started a thread called 'weak heat' and many forum members have said the same.

i also started using the seat heaters and that helps but if you have rear passengers then it's an issue.
Probably because of all the glass not bring a great thermal insulator in cold weather. Also, seat heaters and steering wheel heat will do wonders for keeping your comfort levels. The rear seats are heated as well do definitely enable those to keep your passengers comfy.

Great write up! Glad you love the car. I love mine. I'm going my second road trip today and actually am excited to get on the road. Concerning the 9k price tag I agree that it is not worth it for only Highway Assist and Adaptive CC however the price also includes all future developments for self driving so I do think its worth it. I also think ACC and HA are incredible features so considering you get that plus future improvements I do think its worth it.

Great write up! Glad you love the car. I love mine. I'm going my second road trip today and actually am excited to get on the road. Concerning the 9k price tag I agree that it is not worth it for only Highway Assist and Adaptive CC however the price also includes all future developments for self driving so I do think its worth it. I also think ACC and HA are incredible features so considering you get that plus future improvements I do think its worth it.
I could be wrong but I thought ACC is included with regular Dream Drive?

My car is comfortable set at 70-72 in cold weather and that inludes the sub-zero arctic blast we had at Christmas.

Back