Vehicle to Home

Rivian sees the advantage of V2H.
C'mon Lucid...

From a business standpoint I expect it is most Logical for Lucid to focus on Gravity, mid size, and manufacturing. I would be surprised if V2H in the luxury segment has more than 5% of the customers interested is such a feature. The use case is job site power in a work truck. In my opinion.

From a business standpoint I expect it is most Logical for Lucid to focus on Gravity, mid size, and manufacturing. I would be surprised if V2H in the luxury segment has more than 5% of the customers interested is such a feature. The use case is job site power in a work truck. In my opinion.
1. You have already promised V2H to customers who purchased the Air. It reflects badly to not deliver
2. I believe it would be a consideration to boost future purchases of all Lucid vehicles. It may make the difference between purchasing a Lucid vs a vehicle that has that capability.
3 I disagree with your estimate of those who would be interested in using it as a backup power source - but I conceed that I have no data. Even those with existing battery backup systems could still benefit from extra capacity. However, it is clear that at least one start up EV manufacturer feels that it is a great idea...

USA residential utility power is supplied by two opposing 120V branches ("split phase" with 240V between incoming lines) and a neutral line from the street transformer. National and local code specifies how the neutral line must be connected to an earth ground at each house. Lucid's home charging system connects to the home's two 120V phases (240V across them), but not to the neutral line, leading to a mystery of how neutral will be sourced during V2H.

Homes in much of the rest of the world are generally 220-240 volt single-phase, supplied by just a single hot wire and neutral, so Lucid's home charging system would work well for V2H there with little additional equipment.
DeaneG,
Could part of the delay maybe reconciling the issues with the Lucid home chargers? However, some of us are not tied to that particular charger. I wish they would proceed with the software upgrade allowing V2H and then make it right with existing customers of their charging systems. As Sarasota pointed out, we may be missing early incentives by delaying its rollout.

I know for me, it was a really big selling point. I have a nice solar system that is unusable when the power goes down, I would love to be able to plug in the car and between solar during the day and car at night the utility power could be unavailable as long as need be.

We have no idea what "our" cost will be since Lucid HQ hasn't even given us a clue as to exactly what additional hardware will be needed. Someday maybe they will just tell us but the lack of communication is pretty disappointing. I mean if they really aren't working on it at least they could let us know???

We have no idea what "our" cost will be since Lucid HQ hasn't even given us a clue as to exactly what additional hardware will be needed. Someday maybe they will just tell us but the lack of communication is pretty disappointing. I mean if they really aren't working on it at least they could let us know???
If they really weren’t working on it I’m sure they would let you know.

But the costs are not going to be all that different from other manufacturers.

If they really weren’t working on it I’m sure they would let you know.

But the costs are not going to be all that different from other manufacturers.
It should be a little less I'm hoping because early on they said the WunderBox had built in components (inverters I think??) that were supposed to make the installation easier.

For this Tesla Cybertruck owner, his V2H costs $33,837.50:

Joe used to run a garage called Joe’s Last Chance Garage where he worked primarily on Porsches. He has a very cool setup at his house and worked on several of my cars - one of the most honest and thorough guys I’ve ever met. He became a big Tesla fan and documented the construction of the Austin gigafactory from day 1, using drones and posting regular updates. I recall he had just replaced his old solar array with a brand new one when I was at his house 2 years ago. I hope he’s not getting screwed over on this because it sure smells like he is. Hard to justify spending 30%+ of the vehicle price to get some of the features.

...Hard to justify spending 30%+ of the vehicle price to get some of the features.
I was hoping the Air would help me out by reducing my home backup power installation costs to around $5K, using the car's 100+kWh battery. This was one of the main reasons I could justify buying the car. It's been quite a while without any signal from Lucid, so I decided to stop waiting and will go ahead next month with 11kW of PV with 25kWh battery, for a cost of a midrange Mercedes before tax credits. You'd think I'd have learned by paying for full self driving a few years ago in my Model 3, but I didn't. I again bought a promise.

So once again it mentions trial programs with Ford and GM. Where are you Lucid???
Whatever the original reason for the apparent delay, now Lucid has to deal with the NACS transition and its own nascent V2H spec. It's hard to imagine now releasing J1772-based V2H hardware that will have a production life of only one year.

Does the "standardization" to NACS make sense?? How many thousands of J1772 chargers are out there (EA, ChargePoint, EVGO, etc) many of which are 350kW? Are they all going to be obsolete? Add to that all the home chargers that are J1772. If I use an adapter to charge at a Tesla charger (I never have and probably won't) I can get 50kW max. Doesn't make sense to me that Lucid would hold up V2H/V2G because of the NACS "standardization". As far as I know, the V2G being tested by Ford/GM is using J1772 connectors, right?

Does the "standardization" to NACS make sense?? How many thousands of J1772 chargers are out there (EA, ChargePoint, EVGO, etc) many of which are 350kW? Are they all going to be obsolete? Add to that all the home chargers that are J1772. If I use an adapter to charge at a Tesla charger (I never have and probably won't) I can get 50kW max. Doesn't make sense to me that Lucid would hold up V2H/V2G because of the NACS "standardization". As far as I know, the V2G being tested by Ford/GM is using J1772 connectors, right?
Adapters will go both ways to ease the transition, and the chargers will get new cables as time goes by.

Ford and GM are using CCS connectors for their V2H - the bigger one like on DC fast chargers, rather than the pretty manageable J1772 usually used on home chargers.
Lucid's method, not a standard for the industry, would be to use the J1772 connector.

A NACS connector would work for all three of regular L2 home charging, DC fast charging, and eventually V2H/G.

Newly built charging stations will have both CCS and NACS for some time. Also, adapters will work fine.

It isn't the adapter that limits you to 50kW from a Tesla supercharger but the Lucid onboard charger that is limited when attached to lower-voltage EVSEs.

An adapter for a Tesla L2 EVSE (home chargers, destination chargers, etc.) would get you the full speed that charger can provide, as long as your adapter supports the amperage (which currently already exists).

Back