Torn between Model S Plaid and Lucid Touring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N need to repeat all the reasons to buy the LUCID but if you're bent on more power, buy the Performance LUCID

There are two aspects to power in this context: how much power at the wheels, and how much of that power can be used based on tire traction and suspension behavior.

In controlled testing conditions (such as a drag strip with a prepared surface), there is no doubt our Model S Plaid will be quicker to 60 than our Lucid Air Dream Performance. Although the Plaid has about 90 less horsepower than the Air, the Plaid weighs almost 600 pounds less and has significantly wider tires.

However, in ALL other situations, we actually find our Air more fun for playing with hard acceleration when public road conditions allow. For one thing, the front end of the Lucid stays much better planted, allowing us to go deeper into the throttle without risking a spinout. There is noticeably less rearward weight transfer under acceleration in the Air than in the Plaid. For another, when accelerating from speed (say over 50 mph), the Air actually seems to pull harder and longer than the Plaid, again with the suspension feeling much more planted.

And there is another, less-mentioned difference. Our Plaid tram lines on certain stretches of road where the Lucid doesn't, due certainly to the wider tires and perhaps also due to suspension differences.

It will be interesting to see whether the Sapphire, with its tires the same width as the Plaid tires, is equally susceptible to tram lining. It will also be interesting to see if the addition of another rear motor to the Sapphire contributes to more rearward weight transfer under acceleration. Given that the Lucid motor weighs significantly less than the Tesla motor and that Lucid has a better sorted chassis and suspension setup than Tesla even in its dual-motor configuration, I'm betting the Sapphire will be less prone to this particular gremlin.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the yokes for Toyota/Lexus completely different in how much turning you get compared to the Tesla yoke? The Tesla yoke was just a wheel replacement whereas the Lexus yoke modulates the amount of rotation you get right?
Yes I believe Tesla doesn't have adaptive steering yet.

Worth noting, the round wheel still lacks standard stalks. So it’s the same weird turn signal buttons and touch screen for changing drive modes.
In my opinion, that horn button is undoubtably dangerous. Tell me how decades of muscle memory of mashing the center of the steering wheel in an emergency to alert another driver is going to be magically erased and you will know exactly where on the wheel or yoke to press a small button to activate the horn. I had an incident just a week ago in my model S, which has the standard normal steering wheel, where an Audi SUV, swerved into my lane, and I immediately reacted by slamming on the brakes and mashing the horn. There’s no way I would’ve thought in a millisecond reaction time to press a button on a steering wheel. Horn location and activation method really should be mandated by the government and not willy-nilly decided at the whims of a maniacal CEO

I think you need to ask yourself some questions as to what you are looking for.

Do you want a super fast car with poor quality and almost no support? if yes, get the Tesla ( I have had two model S). Maybe you dont drive that much and just want that fast rush every so often.

Do you want an amazing ride with a quick car , and are willing to grow with a new company? if yes, get the Lucid.

Is self driving important to you? If yes, get Tesla

Do you want to have long range? if yes, get Lucid

Is comfort important to you? get Lucid

You love Elon Musk Kool-Aid? Get Tesla

All I can tell you, that I admit my Lucid has its software bugs, no car is perfect! But having said that, I will easily choose it over my Tesla.

Do you want a super fast car with poor quality and almost no support? if yes, get the Tesla ( I have had two model S). Maybe you dont drive that much and just want that fast rush every so often.

Do you want an amazing ride with a quick car , and are willing to grow with a new company? if yes, get the Lucid.

All I can tell you, that I admit my Lucid has its software bugs, no car is perfect! But having said that, I will easily choose it over my Tesla.
Same thinking process. I thought about getting a MS but decided to get the touring and I have zero regrets. Maybe I will run into some issues, but this forum has educated me well enough and Lucid has been very responsive.

Worth noting, the round wheel still lacks standard stalks. So it’s the same weird turn signal buttons and touch screen for changing drive modes.
Yes, the stupid gear change via screen almost caused my aunt to be in accident. And the signal buttons don't work correctly 1/3 of the time

Touring really should not be compared to the Plaid. GT would be the better comparison.

Poor quality on Tesla??? Hmm - have not experienced that on my refresh Model S and I am extremely picky.

Tesla is an also a fast car and good ride. Have not gotten my Lucid yet or had a test drive, so can’t compare, but sounds like Lucid ride is better.

Lucid GT has far more range than Model S LR, but not much less than Touring and Pure is almost a dead match. So, depends what Lucid Air you are talking about.

My Model S seems extremely comfortable and everyone that has driven with me has thought the same. So, if Lucid is even more comfortable that will be great!

Tesla charging network - absolutely nothing comes close in the US or Canada.

Could care less who owns any company, as long as they are successful. You can say the same thing about the Saudi’s owning a big stake in Lucid, but who cares. Elon’s companies, Tesla, Space X, Solar, etc are all definitely successful and leading their industries.

Get so tired of the negativity on Tesla on this forum and some people just stating misinformation or biased info. I just don’t get the hate towards Tesla, as they are the ones that really kicked off the EV industry and others are all still trying to catch. You can mention positives and negatives of every auto manufacturer, including Lucid.

I am no Tesla fan boy either, as my first one, but have definitely enjoyed it after one year of ownership and still amazed by it every time I drive it.

If Lucid Air is even better, then that will be awesome! 🙂

My son drove my DE for about a month beforegetting a Model X Plaid. He loves the Lucid, but the Tesla has features that he really likes and at the moment, the software is much better in the Telsa.

I have a Lucid Touring booked getting close to delivery. But really torn between that and a Model S Plaid. Performance vs Comfort. Roughly same price +/- 10K.

Any thoughts? What would you get?

Thanks in advance!

Can I ask what you want from “performance” ??
is it to race on a track? To burn other drivers off the lights? To fund the local PD?

All are valid answers, not judging, I have done all three - though admittedly a good few years ago.

for me … living in the Bay Area … there are 6 teslas per 10 cars on the road (or that is how it feels). I didnt want to be THAT person. I didnt want to be tarred with the same brush as the 21 year old driving his/her parents model 3 performance 12” from somebody’s rear fender. I know nobody on the forum would ever drive like that, but there are way too many who do, and by driving the same car, many will judge you the same.

Is the plaid really (almost) the same price as a touring?

My plan was to buy a Plaid S, the new yoke/joke along with the rest of the controls and the giant iPad was all a huge turnoff to me. What's crazy is my new daily driver is going to have 225 more HP than my summer/weekend car......
I do wonder if I have a loose screw in my skull, buying my first electric and being somewhat of a guinea pig for Lucid 🤪

I have a Lucid Touring booked getting close to delivery. But really torn between that and a Model S Plaid. Performance vs Comfort. Roughly same price +/- 10K.

Any thoughts? What would you get?

Thanks in advance!
That's my post from April, having owned my AGT for 3 plus months and driven it for 4,000 miles I have no doubt I made the right choice.

An errant Tesla Model S intruded upon our Lucid owners gathering in San Diego over the weekend. As it drove away from us, and by way of jesting, I made some disparaging remark along the lines of “what’s that thing doing here, get it outta here…”

A few people who heard me bristled. I realised immediately that my joking remark had fallen flat. I tried to walk back my derisive comment but pretty quickly gave up, realising that I coudn’t put my foot in my mouth any further.

I used to own a Model S. I loved it when I first got it in 2017. But after owning my Air GT for only three months, I don’t think I’d deign to buy another Tesla Model S ever again. With the exception of UI software development, and road trip charging, my Lucid Air GT bests my old Tesla Model S in every way.

Touring really should not be compared to the Plaid. GT would be the better comparison.

Poor quality on Tesla??? Hmm - have not experienced that on my refresh Model S and I am extremely picky.

Tesla is an also a fast car and good ride. Have not gotten my Lucid yet or had a test drive, so can’t compare, but sounds like Lucid ride is better.

Lucid GT has far more range than Model S LR, but not much less than Touring and Pure is almost a dead match. So, depends what Lucid Air you are talking about.

My Model S seems extremely comfortable and everyone that has driven with me has thought the same. So, if Lucid is even more comfortable that will be great!

Tesla charging network - absolutely nothing comes close in the US or Canada.

Could care less who owns any company, as long as they are successful. You can say the same thing about the Saudi’s owning a big stake in Lucid, but who cares. Elon’s companies, Tesla, Space X, Solar, etc are all definitely successful and leading their industries.

Get so tired of the negativity on Tesla on this forum and some people just stating misinformation or biased info. I just don’t get the hate towards Tesla, as they are the ones that really kicked off the EV industry and others are all still trying to catch. You can mention positives and negatives of every auto manufacturer, including Lucid.

I am no Tesla fan boy either, as my first one, but have definitely enjoyed it after one year of ownership and still amazed by it every time I drive it.

Tesla best quality car was the P85+. Since that car , quality has gone down. The worst part is that there is no support. You just can’t call and talk to someone. My biggest reason to switch to Lucid was support/service.

I have patients and friends that work for Tesla. They all admit that quality has gone down.

The comment about Elon Musk wasn’t negativity about Tesla. There are people out there that will follow him no matter what he does. All I was saying is that if you are an Elon Musk fan boy/girl/person then Tesla is probably a better fit for you.

After owning a Tesla for four years and an Air for three months, I'm going to offer my opinion without nuance as usual: If you're planning to track the car frequently or very often take long road trips with children (supercharger vs CCS), buy the Tesla. In any other situation, the Air is a much nicer (and cooler!) car with far better comfort and convenience: quiet with a beautiful interior, blind-spot warning in side mirrors, 360-degree parking cams, automatic rear cross-traffic/pedestrian braking, among many other things that make the car a joy to use on a daily basis. The Air has a way to go on software development but this is improving rapidly.
Please don't track your Tesla unless you mean the drag strip. They are severely under-braked

Lately, much of this hate toward Elon you read from people (not just here) is unfortunately based on politics. In addition to his incredibly successful ventures you already mentioned, his Starlink system has helped people in impoverished countries as well as aiding communication in the Ukraine.

Credit where credit is due, Tesla kicked off the EV revolution, but their cars leave much to be desired. They left the window open for Porsche, MB, Lucid to produce premium vehicles for those who are seeking a more luxurious experience in EV ownership.

Every car has its pros and cons and must be weighed for the individual use of the owner.

This thread has gotten skewed a little towards a little more subjective negativity instead of the objective comparisons between the two cars/brands. Let's try and push it back towards that and leave the controversial politics aside. I know it is a factor in the decision process, but name calling of certain CEOs is uncalled for on both sides. Let's keep this conversation above keel and offer potential future owners a more objective comparison between the cars.

Tesla best quality car was the P85+. Since that car , quality has gone down.

This has been our experience, too. Our 2021 Model S Plaid was delivered with more initial quality issues than our 2015 Model S P90D. And, with about 14,000 miles on the odometer, our Plaid has developed body noises that our 2015 Tesla never did in six years. Only the software improved with the newer model, but it has not been exactly flawless, often failing to recognize the key fob for starting the car although it recognized the fob for opening the doors -- and it sometimes doesn't even do that without using the key card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back