Tires

MoniputerLM

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Dream Edition Performance
DE Number
I assumed, incorrectly, that the tires on my DE were run-flat because there is no spare. Well, they are not. You must call Lucid road-side support if you get a flat.

Our other cars without spares have run-flat tires.

Maybe this is common on EVs, but not sure I like it.

I assumed, incorrectly, that the tires on my DE were run-flat because there is no spare. Well, they are not. You must call Lucid road-side support if you get a flat.

Yeah, I haven’t heard of an EV with run-flats. I agree it isn’t ideal, though run flats tend to be pretty noisy and give a rough ride. But it isn’t limited to Lucid.

Yeah, I haven’t heard of an EV with run-flats. I agree it isn’t ideal, though run flats tend to be pretty noisy and give a rough ride. But it isn’t limited to Lucid.

I agree. Run flats are noisy and the ride is rougher. I would not have ordered a GT if it came standard with run flats and I did not have the option of deleting them

Why doesn't it come with a spare?
Weight -- and loss of range efficiency and storage space. Had this discussion with Lucid months ago. Ordered mine with 19" wheels so I can have the option of carrying a space on long trips without a lot of luggage. The image of being on the roadside waiting for the mobile service unit to arrive is not very appealing at all.

Man, I haven't bought a new car in 4 yrs. I guess that explains it. But I just got a flat in my maserati last sunday evening coming home from an out of state (in the middle of nowhere) volleyball tournament with my daughter. I would have been waiting for hours.

Potholes in Indiana and Michigan are deep enough to fish out of.

I carry a plug kit, a 12v compressor, and a can of fix a flat. Have had many cars with no spare over the years. As long as it is not a sidewall a plug works well and doesn’t create the mess of a can of fix a flat.

Sidewall I’ll have to be prepared to wait.

My understanding is Lucid will dispatch either one of their mobile service vans, if available in your area, or engage immediate service via the third-party network of https://www.geturgently.com/.

Until Lucid's own mobile service network is built out (of course, will take a while), routine stuff like flats will likely be accommodated via the Urgently platform.

Upon purchasing my Tesla MS in 2016, I obtained a matching full size wheel/tire spare that I keep in my garage except for long trips. In those instances, I carry the tire along with a low-profile platform jack. Purchase of the spare was well worth the expense and will be even more important with Lucid due to the low number of rangers and service centers. Think how long it would be for a mobile service van to visit me in Lexington, KY.

Since 2016, I have experienced three flats, two were slow leaks from screws/nails with the tires changed in my driveway; but one was an immediate blow-out that required a tire change on the highway. The blow-out required tire replacement. The tire for the MS is a low-noise/foam-lined tire that is a special order in most geographic locations. With no replacement tire readily available, my spare saved the day until a replacement could be obtained.

I STRONGLY recommend purchase of a spare wheel/tire. Not only will this save you significant time waiting on a service ranger, but it could save you days waiting on arrival of a special order replacement.

Everyone should visit "modernspare.com". This company offers compact spares for a wide variety of vehicles along with a compact tool kit that includes a low-profile jack that works well with the Tesla. Currently, this company has not created tires for the Lucid but may offer one in the future. I DO NOT have this system but may look closely at this choice when the time comes that my Lucid arrives. QUESTION for Dream Edition owners: Any chance the large frunk could hold a compact spare tire??

Thanks to all for your continuing postings that are highly educational.

Upon purchasing my Tesla MS in 2016, I obtained a matching full size wheel/tire spare that I keep in my garage except for long trips. In those instances, I carry the tire along with a low-profile platform jack. Purchase of the spare was well worth the expense and will be even more important with Lucid due to the low number of rangers and service centers. Think how long it would be for a mobile service van to visit me in Lexington, KY.

Since 2016, I have experienced three flats, two were slow leaks from screws/nails with the tires changed in my driveway; but one was an immediate blow-out that required a tire change on the highway. The blow-out required tire replacement. The tire for the MS is a low-noise/foam-lined tire that is a special order in most geographic locations. With no replacement tire readily available, my spare saved the day until a replacement could be obtained.

I STRONGLY recommend purchase of a spare wheel/tire. Not only will this save you significant time waiting on a service ranger, but it could save you days waiting on arrival of a special order replacement.

Everyone should visit "modernspare.com". This company offers compact spares for a wide variety of vehicles along with a compact tool kit that includes a low-profile jack that works well with the Tesla. Currently, this company has not created tires for the Lucid but may offer one in the future. I DO NOT have this system but may look closely at this choice when the time comes that my Lucid arrives. QUESTION for Dream Edition owners: Any chance the large frunk could hold a compact spare tire??

The frunk could carry the spare no problem

Generally cars drive better without run flats. But I can see this would be an issue if you get a puncture and end up stranded.

I would have thought most people spending this kind of money on a car would have enough cars in the garage that it doesn’t matter if one is down for a week.

Phew

I’d remove run-flats at the first opportunity. Can’t stand the ride / noise they bring

Generally cars drive better without run flats. But I can see this would be an issue if you get a puncture and end up stranded.

I would have thought most people spending this kind of money on a car would have enough cars in the garage that it doesn’t matter if one is down for a week.
The issue is an unexpected occurrence, not a planned need to use a replacement vehicle. Having extra cars in the garage won't be much help with a flat on the road.

The full-size wheel weighs approximately 35 pounds, I understand. I had asked Lucid whether a donut would fit in the trunk or frunk inset and was told No. I have not measured my DE specifically for a full 19" spare wheel or potential donut, since it is being wrapped. Not sure how well a donut would work for anything more than a short, low-speed run to a Lucid service center (when they are more abundant); a location where you could be serviced by Lucid's mobile service network; or just home. I might opt for the Conti kit as an efficient compromise. Never used one: https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/continental-spare-parts/contimobilitykit

The issue is an unexpected occurrence, not a planned need to use a replacement vehicle. Having extra cars in the garage won't be much help with a flat on the road.

The full-size wheel weighs approximately 35 pounds, I understand. I had asked Lucid whether a donut would fit in the trunk or frunk inset and was told No. I have not measured my DE specifically for a full 19" spare wheel or potential donut, since it is being wrapped. Not sure how well a donut would work for anything more than a short, low-speed run to a Lucid service center (when they are more abundant); a location where you could be serviced by Lucid's mobile service network; or just home. I might opt for the Conti kit as an efficient compromise. Never used one: https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/continental-spare-parts/contimobilitykit
I think this will be my approach too. when local there are other vehicles that can Perform a rescue, but if on a road trip this feels like the best compromise

This place is similar to modernspare. I bought one of these for my ‘73 Mustang. Hope they offer one for the Lucid eventually.

One of the downsides to the fix a flat / compressor plan is that the fix a flat will most likely destroy the TPMS sensor.

One of the downsides to the fix a flat / compressor plan is that the fix a flat will most likely destroy the TPMS sensor.
Lucid will sell their tire repair kit for about $90, I was told.

Back