Tire repair

dannyard

Cars
Lucid air grand touring
I got a flat tire today. Was driving in the city and must have run over some big construction staple that was sitting straight up. Either way it is right through the small part of the tread and lucid says they don't repair tires. They can only replace them. This tire has 13,000 mi on it and still looks great. Has anybody repaired their tires versus replacing them. I was told it has to do with the foam that's inside of them.

Attachments

• PXL_20230526_222049896.jpg
    PXL_20230526_222049896.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
I got a flat tire today. Was driving in the city and must have run over some big construction staple that was sitting straight up. Either way it is right through the small part of the tread and lucid says they don't repair tires. They can only replace them. This tire has 13,000 mi on it and still looks great. Has anybody repaired their tires versus replacing them. I was told it has to do with the foam that's inside of them.
A lot of places won't repair these tires because they have to cut the foam out of the place where it is before they patch it and cannot re-attach the foam afterwards. Some shady places could probably do it for you if you rip out all the foam so the balance isn't thrown off, but Lucid definitely will not do anything but replace tires.

I had a screw in one of my 19” tires about the same spot as you. I went to Discount Tire where they repair flats for free. They told me it wouldn’t be a problem to repair the flat. They had done it on other Lucids (and Teslas, which also have the same kind of foam). I had about 17k miles on mine.

Unfortunately, when they went to remove the tire from the wheel, they punctured the tire. This also happened to another Lucid. They apologized and put in a new Michelin tire, while they waited for a free Perrelli replacement. I decide due to the mileage, I would buy an additional 3 new tires so that they would not be unbalanced. I also bought the road hazard warranty.

I guess this was not really necessary on my part, since I had no problems driving around with the new Michelin while waiting for my replacement tires.

Bottom line, go to a place like Discount Tire and get a free puncture repair.

As a side note, I printed the portion of the manual which showed the jacking points, although they already had this information.

I had a screw in one of my 19” tires about the same spot as you. I went to Discount Tire where they repair flats for free. They told me it wouldn’t be a problem to repair the flat. They had done it on other Lucids (and Teslas, which also have the same kind of foam). I had about 17k miles on mine.

Unfortunately, when they went to remove the tire from the wheel, they punctured the tire. This also happened to another Lucid. They apologized and put in a new Michelin tire, while they waited for a free Perrelli replacement. I decide due to the mileage, I would buy an additional 3 new tires so that they would not be unbalanced. I also bought the road hazard warranty.

I guess this was not really necessary on my part, since I had no problems driving around with the new Michelin while waiting for my replacement tires.

As a side note, I printed the portion of the manual which showed the jacking points, although they already had this information.

Good to know! Discount Tire were among the first of the national tyre service chains to accept Teslas for tyre service. I’m glad to see they’re accepting Lucids too.

Is your car riding differently now that it’s no longer shod with the OEM wheels? Noisier, rougher, or anything like that? I had always wondered whether the foamed tyres really made any difference.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately discount tire isn't in my area. I have 14000 miles so I think I'm just going to buy 1 for now.
I saw lucid has a repair kit that is out of stock. Is that just for short term repairs or really small holes?

Good to know! Discount Tire were among the first of the national tyre service chains to accept Teslas for tyre service. I’m glad to see they’re accepting Lucids too.

Is your car riding differently now that it’s no longer shod with the OEM wheels? Noisier, rougher, or anything like that? I had always wondered whether the foamed tyres really made any difference.
The car rides fine. I replaced the tires with the same Perrelli OEM tires that the car came with. Being new tires, they are a bit quieter. They were going to replace the blown tire with a matching OEM Perrelli anyway for free, so I opted to get 3 more. For a while the car did drive fine with the Michelin temp tire, but I didn't check what kind it was. It was probably a non-EV tire.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately discount tire isn't in my area. I have 14000 miles so I think I'm just going to buy 1 for now.
I saw lucid has a repair kit that is out of stock. Is that just for short term repairs or really small holes?
The Lucid repair kit will work fine for small leaks, which your staple looks like. Many people on the Tesla forums repair their own tires using a tire plug. Using the repair kit like Lucid's, or a similar one will cause the inside of the tire and pressure sensor to be coated, but many people have not had issues with that and the pressure sensor can be cleaned when you get a new tire.

I would look around for a tire shop that has repaired Tesla Foam tires at least. Many places charge anywhere from $25-$75 for a puncture repair, which should last you until you have to replace all the tires due to wear. I know Tesla will repair punctures for their tires, although I don't know if they will look at a Lucid. I also heard the GM is doing Tesla repairs, so they could be a candidate for a puncture repair. In that case, maybe other car dealers in your area can do it, if you can't find a tire shop.

If you tell us your location, there maybe a member that can let you know of their experiences in your area.

The Lucid repair kit will work fine for small leaks, which your staple looks like. Many people on the Tesla forums repair their own tires using a tire plug. Using the repair kit like Lucid's, or a similar one will cause the inside of the tire and pressure sensor to be coated, but many people have not had issues with that and the pressure sensor can be cleaned when you get a new tire.

I would look around for a tire shop that has repaired Tesla Foam tires at least. Many places charge anywhere from $25-$75 for a puncture repair, which should last you until you have to replace all the tires due to wear. I know Tesla will repair punctures for their tires, although I don't know if they will look at a Lucid. I also heard the GM is doing Tesla repairs, so they could be a candidate for a puncture repair. In that case, maybe other car dealers in your area can do it, if you can't find a tire shop.

If you tell us your location, there maybe a member that can let you know of their experiences in your area.
Awesome thanks. I am in the Baltimore MD area.

The car rides fine. I replaced the tires with the same Perrelli OEM tires that the car came with. Being new tires, they are a bit quieter. They were going to replace the blown tire with a matching OEM Perrelli anyway for free, so I opted to get 3 more. For a while the car did drive fine with the Michelin temp tire, but I didn't check what kind it was. It was probably a non-EV tire.

You verbalised something I thought I’d only been imagining all these years - so tyres DO get noisier as more miles are put on them. Two of my “things” when it comes to cars, are the broad and general category of “sqeaks and rattles”, which can drive my mind over the edge; and road and tyre noise. I’m keenly aware of it when they intrude into the cabin, and I’m always looking into ways to minimise it.

Which Michelin tires did you get? How does ride and noise compare with Pirelli OEMM

Which Michelin tires did you get? How does ride and noise compare with Pirelli OEMM
I guess you didn’t quite understand my previous post: Discount Tire gave me a temporary Michelin, and then ordered a replacement Perelli. I then bought three new Perellis. I didn’t pay attention to the Michelin tire that they put on the car.

I take my faulty tire to the lugwrenchheroes Tire repair Phoenix. I needed a whole new set of tires while not being available while they were present. They managed to source the tires, come early, and get it done within 1.5-2 hours. They even put my spare tire back under my truck which is no easy feat. They literally made it so I didn't have to do anything

I’m just filing away for future reference, but we have no Discount Tire locations in New York. Anyone know of a recommended chain in the NY area that provides similar services for Lucids?

ASAP Tyres what i use for mobile tyre fitting! That's awesome how they swooped in and took care of everything for me. Getting a whole new set of tires installed within such a short time frame and taking care of everything without your involvement shows their dedication and efficiency. It's definitely a relief when professionals handle things seamlessly, giving you peace of mind.

Discount tire.

America’s Tire on the east coast Where there is no Discount Tire.

America’s Tire on the east coast Where there is no Discount Tire.
Discount Tire and America’s tire are the same company. They primarily have different branding in different parts of the country. Either company should not have a problem repairing tires with foam. It obviously depends on the exact position of the staple, but I have not had problems with Discount Tire here.

Bottom line, go to a place like Discount Tire and get a free puncture Tire Repairs in Pompano Beach.

I just purchased two rear tires last week one had a nail and both the useful life was about gone. I drove about twenty miles from dealership and picked up another nail in the new tire. Depending on what is in it and location can the tire be repaired ? The dealer won’t repair it only replace. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Back