Tire Rotation question on 20” and 21”

steveairgt

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
83YOVHQD
Hi,
For those who have 21” or 20”, which have staggered wheels (different sizes on front and rear) what have you done when it’s time to rotate tires?

You can’t rotate them (left/right) i assume unless they aren’t directionalized. Are they?

Your thoughts?
Thanks

It's normal to not rotate staggered tires. Just watch for uneven wear left-right, and get an alignment if you see something odd.

The owners manual isn't very helpful on this. It says this:
"WARNING: Your vehicle may be fitted with different size tires on the front and rear wheels. The front and rear wheels may also have different offsets. Do not move wheels between the front and rear axles as this will severely affect vehicle handling. Lucid does not recommend moving the wheels between the front and rear axles, or from side to side on the same axle pair."

However, on the maintenance schedule it recommends "Tire rotation and tire balance (19-inch wheels only) every one year or 12,000 miles". Not sure how to rotate given the warning issued above.

The owners manual isn't very helpful on this. It says this:
"WARNING: Your vehicle may be fitted with different size tires on the front and rear wheels. The front and rear wheels may also have different offsets. Do not move wheels between the front and rear axles as this will severely affect vehicle handling. Lucid does not recommend moving the wheels between the front and rear axles, or from side to side on the same axle pair."

However, on the maintenance schedule it recommends "Tire rotation and tire balance (19-inch wheels only) every one year or 12,000 miles". Not sure how to rotate given the warning issued above.
Yeah, that is clear as mud. My guess is the first bit refers only to folks with different sized front and rear tires. Basically, don’t rotate those at all. For the 19s they seem to want you to rotate regularly.

But don’t take my word for it. Contact Customer Care.

I just rotate equal-sized tires when they have more than 1mm difference in tread depth, not by mileage or by time.

And rotate means right front to right rear. Left front to left rear, right rear to right front, left rear to left front?
Also, will the mobile service team do this or do I go to a local tire place?
Thanks

And rotate means right front to right rear. Left front to left rear, right rear to right front, left rear to left front?
Thanks
They are recommending it at 12k miles. Which is a regular scheduled maintenance, anyway. Just have Lucid do it while they have your car for that routine maintenance. That way, they are sure to do it the recommended way.

Oh how I wish I could get 12k miles from a set
Are you thinking the tires won’t last 12k miles? I had over 30k miles when I sold my model S and 19k miles when I sold my model X. Never bought new tires.

Hi
I just got a call from customer care regarding rotating my 20” tires. He said I can rotate the tires right to left. I know they are staggered so you can’t rotate front to back.

What surprised me was that he said since the tires are directional I think and have a marking on the outside saying “Outside”, he suggests removing the tire from the wheel and flipping them around before moving them to the other side.

If I did that then the tires would not show the word “Outside”.

I was confused by this guy. Also I don’t see any direction arrow on my 20” tires.

Still confused.

What surprised me was that he said since the tires are directional I think and have a marking on the outside saying “Outside”, he suggests removing the tire from the wheel and flipping them around before moving them to the other side...
Doesn't sound right. Also, if evenly worn, there's no need to rotate staggered tires.

Hi
I just got a call from customer care regarding rotating my 20” tires. He said I can rotate the tires right to left. I know they are staggered so you can’t rotate front to back.

What surprised me was that he said since the tires are directional I think and have a marking on the outside saying “Outside”, he suggests removing the tire from the wheel and flipping them around before moving them to the other side.

If I did that then the tires would not show the word “Outside”.

I was confused by this guy. Also I don’t see any direction arrow on my 20” tires.

Still confused.
Don't be confused. The person that told you that was dead wrong. I use the term dead on purpose. You do not f--k around with high performance tires, especially on damn heavy and damn fast cars.

Staggered tires are not Rotated. Ever. A downside using staggered for sure. In addition,Virtually all high performance high speed tires now are directional, with an Outside marking and a direction of rotation. Both must be observed or you can drastically change the performance characteristics of the tires. Or worse. High speed tires are constructed to rotate one direction, and to siphon off water to the outside. Tire engineers state that even if a tire is not marked with a rotation direction, once you pick a direction, keep it. Do not reverse. The plies can separate. People die from tired failures.

The only thing you can do with staggered tires is carefully watch for uneven wear and do an alignment. And pray.

I purchased a set of Lucid 21" tires/wheels (staggered) from a local owner (who was frightened by posts here = thanks guys!).
Each wheel had been marked on the inside as to what position it belongs = BY LUCID.

besides, if you rotate tires to get maximum use, how will you know if you have uneven wear...perhaps indicating a problem ?

rotate tires = swap winter set for summer set, each wheel going back to it's "learned" position.

Last edited:
Thanks
The rotation is done as part of the 12K service, which can be done at your home.
Oh how I wish I could get 12k miles from a set
I've got almost 16K on the original 19" tires and they have a lot of life left.

Note for those that are not familiar with staggered fitments, it's quite normal to only have to replace tires in pairs (both fronts or both rears). But full disclosure … I've never had an AWD with staggered fitment myself until now so maybe all four will end up needing replacement at the same time?

Back