21" tires and Blowouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it happens on Pirelli 21 inch tires we got it. But I think we are discounting some of the posts real owners have listed here. OPs is it good idea to close the thread not sure it’s being productive.
Not productive because people are calling you out for your assumptions? I think it’s well understood that several Lucid owners have had pothole and tire issues, not just the 21’s. But as others have mentioned, this is not a Lucid isolated thing, ALL makes of autos with low profile tires have had this happen, especially this last winter.

Maybe put up a poll to actual users if you guys are concerned about data. With my 2016 Model S and then 2022 Model S I checked my records and I had 1 flat tire in 6 years combined. (Bridgestone Tires) I never experienced a bubble in a tire which would leave to a blowout before. There is definitely a design issue and weak wall structure of the Pirelli tires if I have 2 failures in 3000 miles and others have experienced as many as 6 failures in 10,000 miles..great idea
Not productive because people are calling you out for your assumptions? I think it’s well understood that several Lucid owners have had pothole and tire issues, not just the 21’s. But as others have mentioned, this is not a Lucid isolated thing, ALL makes of autos with low profile tires have had this happen, especially this last winter.
Great idea on the poll

I agree its not a Lucid Air issue but Lucid designed a vehicle and as of now only gave us one tire option for our 21's. This is definitely a Perelli issue and there needs to be options and we should get some sort of compensation for switching.

This is a fabulous tire. Responsive and quiet and surprisingly smooth. Would buy again.

Lucid does not recommend the 21" wheel/tire for rough roads. People are just now discovering why?

The 19" set is wonderful, and weighs 8 to 13 lbs less, but the 21's are Muy Macho. Some people would rather look good whilst waiting for the tow truck.

Great idea on the poll
The problem is, Internet sites like this are skewed toward the negative. People with issues have a tendency to seek out others in the same situation. Misery loves company. I estimate that only about 2% of Lucid owners are verified owners here on the forum. Whenever I see another Lucid at Electrify America or in the wild, I asked the person if they are on the forum. Usually, I just get a puzzled look.

I certainly could conduct a survey of owners to see the incidence of issues in this owner subset. The ongoing bug survey, which will be discussed directly with Lucid, has now accumulated almost 1,000,000 miles worth of responses.

The problem is, Internet sites like this are skewed toward the negative. People with issues have a tendency to seek out others in the same situation. Misery loves company. I estimate that only about 2% of Lucid owners are verified owners here on the forum. Whenever I see another Lucid at Electrify America or in the wild, I asked the person if they are on the forum. Usually, I just get a puzzled look.

I certainly could conduct a survey of owners to see the incidence of issues in this owner subset. The ongoing bug survey, which will be discussed directly with Lucid, has now accumulated almost 1,000,000 miles worth of responses.
Just to provide a little more science 🧪 I created a poll:

I have nothing against Twitter, but it is totally unscientific. Did you respond to you own poll for your Turo rental? I think you took it offroading at high speed and did not blow a tire?
As far as I know the tires had no issues so that’s a good data point. Twitter doesn’t let a poll owner answer. But I guess I would say No. although I only drove it for 1 week.

I met

I’ve met 3 Lucid Air owners at EA, and haven’t met one this forum user yet at EA.

but it doesn't mean I don't drive "scared" trying to avoid what bumps and pot holes I can.
Good! You are driving a low-to-the-ground car with very low-profile summer tires. You *should* be more careful with it, as potholes can cause serious damage. You could also scrape the front on many driveways. You should ideally try to avoid doing that too.

This is true of *any* low profile tires; they are known for failing easier than normal tires. You cannot / should not drive them the same. It’s why I have two sets. If I could only have one, I’d have the 19s, or if I had the 21s I’d ensure I have another car.

I’ve been lucky to not have any blowouts yet, but I’m careful on the roads and avoid bumps / potholes.

No one is discounting what these owners have experienced. But it doesn't help anyone to have you purposely try and skew data, it's very disingenuous.

The data can't be skewed because it isn't statistically useful at all. We are not a random selection of owners or potential owners. Consumer Reports reliability is based on subscribers' experiences:

"Consumer Reports obtains its reliability data from a questionnaire that is sent to subscribers. In the questionnaire, we ask subscribers to note any problems with their cars that occurred in the past 12 months. They are asked to identify problems that they considered serious (because of cost, failure, safety, or downtime).

A typical model has about 200 to 400 samples for each model year. For some model years, typically those of older or less popular cars, we do not have a large enough sample size to provide results of statistical confidence."

CR has no report on the Lucid Air because there are not enough out there reporting. What forums provide is "anecdotal" information. Useful but not statistically accurate.

Good! You are driving a low-to-the-ground car with very low-profile summer tires. You *should* be more careful with it, as potholes can cause serious damage. You could also scrape the front on many driveways. You should ideally try to avoid doing that too.

This is true of *any* low profile tires; they are known for failing easier than normal tires. You cannot / should not drive them the same. It’s why I have two sets. If I could only have one, I’d have the 19s, or if I had the 21s I’d ensure I have another car.

I’ve been lucky to not have any blowouts yet, but I’m careful on the roads and avoid bumps / potholes.
Yea, I traded a BMW M5 for the Lucid and the point I was trying to make, albeit poorly, is I feel like I have to treat this car as if it's much more fragile than the BMW. I was not saying it in terms of it being more high performance or any lower than the M5. I think they are about the same, 5"-5.5". I am used to entering driveways at an angle, being careful over speed bumps, etc. I am used to pulling into parking spaces carefully. I am not used to trying to avoid every single pothole for fear of a tire blowout.

I had high performance tires on the M5 as well and hit some bumps/pot holes at times. Although some were cringe-worthy, I did not feel like I might be damaging the car in any way and never had an issue. I baby the Lucid way more than I ever did the M5 out of what probably is misplaced fear of a tire-blowout.

Just to provide a little more science 🧪 I created a poll:

I have nothing against Twitter, but it is totally unscientific. Did you respond to you own poll for your Turo rental? I think you took it offroading at high speed and did not blow a tire?
I agree here.

And why tag tsla on every post :rolleyes:

This poll won't prove anything, as others have stated too, I haven't met a single Lucid owner in person who's on the forums. This is just fishing for drama.

I agree here.

And why tag tsla on every post :rolleyes:

This poll won't prove anything, as others have stated too, I haven't met a single Lucid owner in person who's on the forums. This is just fishing for drama.
Because he owns two Teslas, not a Lucid and is trying to rile everyone up on Twitter and here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back