21" tires and Blowouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. It’s about $260 for all 4.
Discount Tire warrantied mine for $225, but they also will charge $50 per incident to renew the warranty.

Discount Tire warrantied mine for $225, but they also will charge $50 per incident to renew the warranty.
Well that does make sense… The warranty is on the tire. If you have a blowout and need a new tire you will need a new warranty.

Well that does make sense… The warranty is on the tire. If you have a blowout and need a new tire you will need a new warranty.
Yes, and it still seems like a reasonable cost.

Did they need to look at the tires before the warranty? I have a stack (4) of unused 21" wheels/tires I was planning on putting on the car last summer, but didn't get around to it. I guess I can take pictures of the tires or something, if they need to look at them. first.

Two blowouts and four bent rims after a couple months convinced me to switch to the 19s. I really don’t like their look but there was no alternative at that time. I would have ordered the 20s as a compromise but they weren’t available for several months. Any body running the 20s have these issues?
I've been on Lucid 20's with Michelin All Season tires since Dec & they've done well. I'm in a snowy area with a lot of potholes that used to blow out my Tesla 21" tires all the time and so far the 20's have held up to some pretty big hits (knock on wood!)

Did they need to look at the tires before the warranty? I have a stack (4) of unused 21" wheels/tires I was planning on putting on the car last summer, but didn't get around to it. I guess I can take pictures of the tires or something, if they need to look at them. first.
They did.

Yes. They examined them visually and scanned the tread with a handheld device.

Seems like Rivian 22’s get bubbles too! And look, they’re Pirellis as well!!

AB7B9421-0A2B-475E-ADC7-4F3075C84D41.jpeg

Knock on wood, my 21s have had no issues after about 8500 miles. Bought the warranty for peace of mind anyway.
This has inspired me to take the day off yardwork (double dose of psudophed can't deal with current pollen levels = I"ve taken to wearing my Covid masks when outside) and install the 21's.

I thought I'd need to call Mobile Service for this but looks like other's have changed wheels themselves so I'm gonna try it.

Anyone know the wheel lug torque spec ? I'll aim for 100 Amerikan Torques. (We don't got to show you no stinkin' SI units).

And that’s All Season tire. I thought only Summer tire does that.
But most importantly, it's a 50 aspect ratio! ... the Rivian is no truck / was not intended to be used as a truck.

This has inspired me to take the day off yardwork (double dose of psudophed can't deal with current pollen levels = I"ve taken to wearing my Covid masks when outside) and install the 21's.

I thought I'd need to call Mobile Service for this but looks like other's have changed wheels themselves so I'm gonna try it.

Anyone know the wheel lug torque spec ? I'll aim for 100 Amerikan Torques. (We don't got to show you no stinkin' SI units).
Don’t you need to have Lucid reset the TPMS? Also the 21” tires have a slightly different Revolutions Per Mile, which will result in different speed/odometer readings.

But most importantly, it's a 50 aspect ratio! ... the Rivian is no truck / was not intended to be used as a truck.
No, it’s not. But it can be. To me, it’s a covered truck disguised as SUV, rock climber, sporty low rider, people mover, generator and RV bed. I gave 6 people and an animal a ride today on R1S. 🤣

Just my 2 cents on both our very heavy ev cars I have chosen to just downsize my tires. On the S went from 19 inch from 21s and the Y we went from 20s to 18 inch. Let me tell you going 2 inches down results in a much cushioned ride softer , way less pot hole issues. We have 22k miles in the S plaid and no issues original tires from 2021 Pirelli electric pzero t0. I suspect Lucid is similar so my recommendation is just get some nice 19s get the car lowered a bit and call it a day.

Attachments

• IMG_6147.jpeg
    IMG_6147.jpeg
    975.6 KB · Views: 75
Just my 2 cents on both our very heavy ev cars I have chosen to just downsize my tires. On the S went from 19 inch from 21s and the Y we went from 20s to 18 inch. Let me tell you going 2 inches down results in a much cushioned ride softer , way less pot hole issues. We have 22k miles in the S plaid and no issues original tires from 2021 Pirelli electric pzero t0. I suspect Lucid is similar so my recommendation is just get some nice 19s get the car lowered a bit and call it a day.
These are the Pzero 19s if you want to try those

Attachments

• IMG_5031.jpeg
    IMG_5031.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5030.jpeg
    IMG_5030.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
Ha. OK.
Lug nuts are 21 mm.
I forgot to ask the owner I bought them from for the lug nut covers. It looks dumb without them.
Shock and Tilt Alarm can not be turned off (It goes right back on when you jack a wheel). I had to leave a door open to prevent the horn / flashing.
19" Aero covers have a nasty inside edge = do not try to "bare hand" them off. I had to use a hook...even my mechanic gloves weren't able to deal with that cutting sharp inside edge.

The 21" summer tire/wheels are heavy = 69.4 lbs. for the rear; 64 lbs for front .
The 19" All Season set are 55.8 lbs. (bathroom scale on garage floor).
The correct inflation pressure for the 21" set (my car delivered with 19" set) is not on the B pillar so I pumped them to 45 psi until I can confirm that recommended is 42 psi = not in the manual. Someone with factory 21" set tell me what's on their B pillar ?

The jack points are easy to find = large rectangular patches right where one would expect.

Note that when storing tires on rims you should inflate to max sidewall pressure to prevent flat spots, then reduce to B pillar pressure when installing.

Note that the air pump I bought specifically for this job only goes to 35 psi. Tip: when purchasing a tire inflation pump: if the psi range is not listed it's because they are ashamed. Do not buy it.

The Lucid "Shaving Kit" is a nice package, nicely stowed, and simple to operate. The bag has velcro strips so you can toss it in the funk and it will stay stuck to the carpet when you are in the twisties. There are two sets of fill hoses: the one for shaving cream is clear and on top. Make sure your switch selector is set to the hand pump icon and not the turbocharger icon. The analog dial goes to 7 bar / 100 psi. It has a simple on/off button, and (this is brilliant) another button to release air! I checked and it confirms 49 psi on my winter set. Excellent. This is what you should buy. Well done Lucid.

The ride. Given that the 19" A/S set is 13 lbs. lighter, I'm surprised by the difference. I have to say the 21" set is better I, but I have only done a few miles locally. I know, I can't believe it myself, but it makes sense as the car's suspension was likely designed around the 21" wheels. I'm very happy with the swap. It feels smoother. How can that be? Handling is nice, as expected, but the ride quality is not diminished, in fact, it's possibly better!???

The TPMS is not working now (no values shown) but no warning lights so far (only about 30 miles in). Yes the mph and odometer will not be quite right but the speed difference is only one or two mph indicated. I plan to call Mobile Service to find out if I need this corrected twice / year when I swap over. Wish there was a user way to do this.

And the look: Well it's definitely a more stand-out car with the low-profile wheels. I've lost my pretense of "blending" in with the proletariate.

I'm definitely glad to have a winter and summer set. Going to have to start pumping up my arms to get these wheel sets up and down off the rack twice per year!

Last edited:
Me and my friend bought Lucid GT a few weeks apart in October. He has around 4000 miles and two of his 21 tires blew out (one front and one back both on the same side within a few days of each other). Now I have a small bubble (3200 miles) in my front passenger tire. Now I am afraid to drive. I think both Lucid and Pirelli need to step up and take care of this problem. I don't mind permanent change to 19 tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back