21" tires and Blowouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 8000 miles on my Lucid Air and had 4 front tires get the bubble and thus needed replacing. I decided to buy my own 19 inch wheels (they match the gold color pretty closely and look great) and purchased the 19" Pirelli tires. A Lucid tech who has come to my home several times told me this happens all the time with 21" wheels, but he was not aware of any bubbles or blowouts when 19" wheels were installed. Plus the 19" wheels get an extra 40 miles range (EPA numbers; we all know that probably means 25 extra real miles)
I've been on Lucid 20's with Michelin All Season tires since Dec & they've done well. I'm in a snowy area with a lot of potholes that used to blow out my Tesla 21" tires all the time and so far the 20's have held up to some pretty big hits (knock on wood!)
21” rims look nice but at not practical on a heavy EV — Lucid or Tesla or any other.

I have 16,876 miles on my Air GT with 19” wheels. No issues whatsoever. Tires look like new. They give better range as well. Ride nicely and I do not fear potholes as I have in the past worh 21” rims.

I think Lucid should stop selling 21” wheels and let people take their chances after market if they choose to.

21” rims look nice but at not practical on a heavy EV — Lucid or Tesla or any other.

I have 16,876 miles on my Air GT with 19” wheels. No issues whatsoever. Tires look like new. They give better range as well. Ride nicely and I do not fear potholes as I have in the past worh 21” rims.

I think Lucid should stop selling 21” wheels and let people take their chances after market if they choose to.
Love my 21s. I think they make the car look a lot better. I very much prefer having summer tires than all season here in San Diego. About 9000 miles, a little bit of wear is showing but otherwise excellent!

I ❤️ my 21” set, not only they look futuristic and sporty, I feel safer in them at high speed brake. Lock on wood, 8500 miles in, no issue. It’s my freeway high speed cruiser.

I am sure you could get replica 19 inch wheels with bigger side wall. Maybe filing a 20 inch diameter and still have the look of the 21s but get better side walll protection. I have seen so many wrecked 21 inch wheels 🛞 I hope someone is looking at these at Lucid to see if something can be done.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I really like the way my Touring looks on the 19" and my wife likes the look with the inserts, so I'm a happy camper :cool:

I agree. I thought I was in the minority, but
Remove those aero inserts, get black lug nuts and it's surprising how different and better they look than original 19" setup

3100 miles... Got 2nd blowout this weekend on the highway with my 21's and did not even hit anything. My only guess is maybe I had a bubble on the inside of the tire that I did not see and it decided to give away on the highway. First one cost me $400 to replace and I assume the 2nd will cost me the same. Had to get towed off the highway and back to my home where I wait a response from Mobile Service. There really needs to be some other tire we can use.

3100 miles... Got 2nd blowout this weekend on the highway with my 21's and did not even hit anything. My only guess is maybe I had a bubble on the inside of the tire that I did not see and it decided to give away on the highway. First one cost me $400 to replace and I assume the 2nd will cost me the same. Had to get towed off the highway and back to my home where I wait a response from Mobile Service. There really needs to be some other tire we can use.
Other owners have used the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S with success.

Anyone think of filing a complaint with NHTSA on these tires? There is definitely some design flaw if people are having to replace 4+ tires with less than 10k miles.

Anyone think of filing a complaint with NHTSA on these tires? There is definitely some design flaw if people are having to replace 4+ tires with less than 10k miles.
That's VERY hard to prove. The best bet is to protect yourself using some sort of road hazard warranty. I bought mine at Discount Tire, it was about $270 and worth every penny. I haven't had problem yet (9000 miles) but it gives me peace of mind.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Something needs to be done to get Pirelli/Lucid’s attention

For everyone who has had to replace so many tires, I have 17.5k miles on my Pirellis so...

I was actually thinking the same thing. Something needs to be done to get Pirelli/Lucid’s attention
I spoke with Lucid Support about this and their suggestion was to buy 4 new 19" wheels and tires for $4000. They need to do better than this. They did say they were aware of the issue and the many complaints and that they are testing a Michelin 21" tire but they do not have any more information that they can share and Lucid owners will get an email once news is confirmed. For now I will have to buy another $400 Pirelli tire and wait 5 days for mobile service to swap it. Over the weekend when the tire blew out I was stuck on the side of the highway for over 2 1/2 hours waiting for roadside assistance to come get me and the police actually ended up sending their own tow company to tow me off the highway and I now have to get reimbursed for the tow.

Obviously, tire size is a very personal choice. I'm blind to it, I'd pick 16'' if they offer it. I'm also on 19'' but did suffer from one blowout after hitting a pothole (at dark when turning) at ~40mph. It's probably a combination of angle and speed when hitting the pothole. Basically, be careful if you're on 19''s.

I ❤️ my 21” set, not only they look futuristic and sporty, I feel safer in them at high speed brake. Lock on wood, 8500 miles in, no issue. It’s my freeway high speed cruiser.
Please knock on wood! I was starting to feel the same way, then blamo, a tire welt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back