21" tires and Blowouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please knock on wood! I was starting to feel the same way, then blamo, a tire welt!
Just happened? How many miles when yours blew?

Just happened? How many miles when yours blew?
I’ve got about 10k, but it can happen at any time. I went through this with my old Mercedes AMG with thin walled Pirellis. I ended up selling that car after 4 welts in less than 6 months because at the time all that was available for that Model were Pirellis and I got sick of replacing new tires. After that I went through 3 Panameras with 22 inch rims with Michelins and haven’t experienced another welt until now. I actually kind of feel fortunate it made it this long. Crap shoot.

New Barron style troll hunting and wishing bad news to broadcast.

D6DCAEE3-71DA-4C39-8FEB-83C3752CDE21.jpeg

It’s pretty clear there might be some design issue with the tire if everyone on this thread is asking the same questions. Ie what type of of work is being done to check that there is no issue tire wise or design wise. But i will let the thread 🧵 speak for itself.

It’s pretty clear there might be some design issue with the tire if everyone on this thread is asking the same questions. Ie what type of of work is being done to check that there is no issue tire wise or design wise. But i will let the thread 🧵 speak for itself.
If you add up the miles driven by people without tire issues vs the ones with issues, it seems like the number would skew towards the non issue drivers. Is it the tires or the drivers 🤔?

If you add up the miles driven by people without tire issues vs the ones with issues, it seems like the number would skew towards the non issue drivers. Is it the tires or the drivers 🤔?
I do not think that is a valid comparison for what might be normal. What are the failure rates on other similar vehicles? Not really sure that data is published. I do not think recalls are based on whether a problem is more likely than not to occur, just that there might be an issue that impact safety that can be mitigated.

This, to me, is just a reach to give Lucid the benefit of the doubt on this. I have not had a tire issue yet, knock on wood, but it doesn't mean I don't drive "scared" trying to avoid what bumps and pot holes I can. My attitude toward driving is definitely different with the Lucid and it is not necessarily a good thing.

I do not think the issue lies with the car specifically, but I am not so sure about the tire choice or Pirelli, in general. It may also relate to the rim design and Pirelli combination, who knows, I don't. What I do know is that there appears to be disproportionately more issues than with other vehicles.

I do not think that is a valid comparison for what might be normal. What are the failure rates on other similar vehicles? Not really sure that data is published. I do not think recalls are based on whether a problem is more likely than not to occur, just that there might be an issue that impact safety that can be mitigated.

This, to me, is just a reach to give Lucid the benefit of the doubt on this. I have not had a tire issue yet, knock on wood, but it doesn't mean I don't drive "scared" trying to avoid what bumps and pot holes I can. My attitude toward driving is definitely different with the Lucid and it is not necessarily a good thing.
You're right, I think people who are not used to driving on low profile tires in such a heavy car don't realize the impact hitting even a small pothole has on the tire itself. I don't necessarily think it's a flaw in the design, because you can't beat physics, just that owners on 21s need to take more care in avoiding road hazards due to the combination of the tires and the weight of the vehicle.

I do think nasty weather in many parts of the country this year, causing more potholes than usual, is a contributing factor. As well as many who may be new to both EVs and low-profile tires.

Having said that, there may very well still be an issue with the tires themselves. I just don’t think we have enough data to support that.

My guess is Lucid is likely working with other manufacturers to offer a variety of tires to support the Air. More choice is always good.

View attachment 11592
It looks like @blueice89 is cherry picking the owners that he knows from either Twitter of the forum. I am pretty sure that there is a lot of overlap between the owners that I have personally met and the owners that @blueice89 has personally met. The 80% number is not true for the owners that I have met.

I am sure there are many many more users with issues that are not on the forums. When I had my first bubble in my first tire at 1000 miles the mobile tech said that he has been replacing tires every day for the same issue. I know some got lucky and did not have to pay for the tire after the bubbles but they billed me $400 for it plus $100 to replace the tire. There is definitely a design flaw in this tire if there are so many having the issue.

It looks like @blueice89 is cherry picking the owners that he knows from either Twitter of the forum. I am pretty sure that there is a lot of overlap between the owners that I have personally met and the owners that @blueice89 has personally met. The 80% number is not true for the owners that I have met.
Yes to clarify that 80% is the users I correspond on a daily enough basis that they let me know they have seen a tire issue.

I know my detailer had advised a lot of Tesla owners in the past to not get the larger tire options. Honestly, it's a crap shoot though. We went thru 2 new tires on our last Mercedes within first 3 months, so you never know. I personally went with the 19's because the roads in central TX can get chewed up. As many others have mentioned on this forum, there are ways to make them look better, including removing the inserts, having the black lug nut caps and center cap, etc. I ended up powder coating them too, and am very satisfied with the look.

I know my detailer had advised a lot of Tesla owners in the past to not get the larger tire options. Honestly, it's a crap shoot though. We went thru 2 new tires on our last Mercedes within first 3 months, so you never know. I personally went with the 19's because the roads in central TX can get chewed up. As many others have mentioned on this forum, there are ways to make them look better, including removing the inserts, having the black lug nut caps and center cap, etc. I ended up powder coating them too, and am very satisfied with the look.
Can you share a pic ?

Yes to clarify that 80% is the users I correspond on a daily enough basis that they let me know they have seen a tire issue.
There’s like six of us that you are referring to. That does not represent a significant number of anything and you know it. So many factors skew what you are trying to portray here, and there’s no reason for it. What are you hoping to gain by stirring the pot? You need to let it go.

View attachment 11592
This was created by @blueice89, who I understand doesn’t own a Lucid and posted someone else’s photo. The Lucid being too heavy lacks basic research of the issue, as a Google search would show that this happens time and time again, over multiple cars going back many years. Just a trolling post in my opinion.

Yes it happens on Pirelli 21 inch tires we got it. But I think we are discounting some of the posts real owners have listed here. OPs is it good idea to close the thread not sure it’s being productive.

Yes it happens on Pirelli 21 inch tires we got it. But I think we are discounting some of the posts real owners have listed here. OPs is it good idea to close the thread not sure it’s being productive.
No one is discounting what these owners have experienced. But it doesn't help anyone to have you purposely try and skew data, it's very disingenuous.

I had 4 tire welts in less than 6 months with the Pirellis on my old Mercedes C55 AMG, which was as light as it gets. My 3 heavy Panamera’s had 22 inch rims and Michelins and I haven’t had a welt until now.

I’m not sure what your intent is, but do a Google search if you are actually interested.

No one is discounting what these owners have experienced. But it doesn't help anyone to have you purposely try and skew data, it's very disingenuous.
Maybe put up a poll to actual users if you guys are concerned about data. With my 2016 Model S and then 2022 Model S I checked my records and I had 1 flat tire in 6 years combined. (Bridgestone Tires) I never experienced a bubble in a tire which would leave to a blowout before. There is definitely a design issue and weak wall structure of the Pirelli tires if I have 2 failures in 3000 miles and others have experienced as many as 6 failures in 10,000 miles..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back