Test Drive

RAK

Cars
Ordered Lucid Air Touring
I had my first test drive in a Lucid Air GT at Oak Brook Ill. yesterday. I love the look and drive of the Lucid, it's great fun. I am a 6'1" 77 year old man and when I tried to enter the cockpit of the Lucid it became glaring obviously the end result of this car is not geared to older men like me. I really had a hard time entering because of lack of head room when entering. I am healthy but am not as flexible as I used to be. Don't tell me to enter head first then legs. I am just not flexible for that, I tried it. I fully understand why it is designed the way it is. I guess it's target demographics must be younger upper income professionals. Old guys have money to spend too.

I had my first test drive in a Lucid Air GT at Oak Brook Ill. yesterday. .... I am just not flexible for that, I tried it. I fully understand why it is designed the way it is. I guess it's target demographics must be younger upper income professionals. Old guys have money to spend too.
An SUV might be a more comfortable choice - BMW iX, Mercedes EQS, Polestar 3 (Q1 2024), Cadillac Lyriq, Volvo XC40, Infiniti GV60. Our XC40 EV is a very handy in-town vehicle.

I had my first test drive in a Lucid Air GT at Oak Brook Ill. yesterday. I love the look and drive of the Lucid, it's great fun. I am a 6'1" 77 year old man and when I tried to enter the cockpit of the Lucid it became glaring obviously the end result of this car is not geared to older men like me. I really had a hard time entering because of lack of head room when entering. I am healthy but am not as flexible as I used to be. Don't tell me to enter head first then legs. I am just not flexible for that, I tried it. I fully understand why it is designed the way it is. I guess it's target demographics must be younger upper income professionals. Old guys have money to spend too.
I think the low profile of the car is how they are achieving that industry-leading range. Does make it difficult to get in and out for some folks, which is unfortunate. Some folks who are a bit taller than you and I have said they have visibility issues as well, as there's no seat position where they can both reach the wheel and have their field of view not be right where the tint / visors are on the windshield.

It's fairly common for sleek little sports cars to be tough on entry/exit and visibility. But it is odd for a sedan. Part of that dual personality for the Air.

I think the low profile of the car is how they are achieving that industry-leading range. ...
Low roof and high floor = great aerodynamics and plenty of room for that big battery.

Reactions: RAK
I'm a bit younger and an inch or so shorter, but [I assume] much more rotund and I have a hard time getting in and out .. still have hair on top of my head, so I end up with all my hair pointing left when I get in .. the good news is that when I get out, it gets straightened out. :)

I'm glad you had a chance to take a test drive. Once inside, I'm very comfortable and the car drives like a "dream" (pun intended), but as a daily driver, it's tough. Had I taken the opportunity to test drive one, I may not have placed my order. That said, I've been very happy w/ the car.

Good luck!

Sit then pivot
not as easy for everyone .. until my wife saw me get in the car, she didn't believe that I actually had an issue.
I do have to sit and pivot, but that comes with a lot of head rubbing and leg contortions 🥴

I think the low profile of the car is how they are achieving that industry-leading range. Does make it difficult to get in and out for some folks, which is unfortunate. Some folks who are a bit taller than you and I have said they have visibility issues as well, as there's no seat position where they can both reach the wheel and have their field of view not be right where the tint / visors are on the windshield.

It's fairly common for sleek little sports cars to be tough on entry/exit and visibility. But it is odd for a sedan. Part of that dual personality for the Air.
The EQS is a little easier to get in/out of.

I think its height more than age. I will be 75 next month and am 5'7"(after having shrunk 1").

Don't have a problem entering the car. Headroom is fine for my height. Perhaps not for those who are taller.

I think its height more than age. I will be 75 next month and am 5'7"(after having shrunk 1").

Don't have a problem entering the car. Headroom is fine for my height. Perhaps not for those who are taller.
One of the assistants was 6' 4" about 300 lb. probably middle forties and he demonstrated the head first method of entering.
He made it but he would not admit to being comfortable doing it. I told him there was no way I could do that.

One of the assistants was 6' 4" about 300 lb. probably middle forties and he demonstrated the head first method of entering.
He made it but he would not admit to being comfortable doing it. I told him there was no way I could do that or even try.
How do you like your car?

Last edited:
I'm a bit younger and an inch or so shorter, but [I assume] much more rotund and I have a hard time getting in and out .. still have hair on top of my head, so I end up with all my hair pointing left when I get in .. the good news is that when I get out, it gets straightened out. :)

I'm glad you had a chance to take a test drive. Once inside, I'm very comfortable and the car drives like a "dream" (pun intended), but as a daily driver, it's tough. Had I taken the opportunity to test drive one, I may not have placed my order. That said, I've been very happy w/ the car.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply

An SUV might be a more comfortable choice - BMW iX, Mercedes EQS, Polestar 3 (Q1 2024), Cadillac Lyriq, Volvo XC40, Infiniti GV60. Our XC40 EV is a very handy in-town vehicle.
I like the Lyric but it's an extremely long wait now. From what I can see Dealers still aren't getting them in and orders for 2023 are closed

I like the Lyric but it's an extremely long wait now. From what I can see Dealers still aren't getting them in and orders for 2023 are closed
My Lyriq reservation is in the 2024 production run.

• Wow
Entry is hard for me at 80 since I have new hip replacement, but I have no problem sitting down with feet out and pivoting in. I am 6 ft and 225+. But I will be honest, I will probably be making a reservation for the Gravity because when I hit 81 I will probably need a crane lift to get in any vehicle except my golf cart.

5'9" and older than you. Other than an occasional bump on the head when entering, followed by my wife's comment that I should loose the spare tire to make it easier to bend down a bit more, the car drives like no other. My Wife's IX is a lot easier to enter, rides like a RR, but no match for the Lucid's driving dynamics.

5'9" and older than you. Other than an occasional bump on the head when entering, followed by my wife's comment that I should loose the spare tire to make it easier to bend down a bit more, the car drives like no other. My Wife's IX is a lot easier to enter, rides like a RR, but no match for the Lucid's driving dynamics.
Would a handle in the A pillar help? I don’t recall seeing one in lucid.

No handles in the front. It does have them in the rear. It's not really a problem for me but the car does have large A pillars and the opening and the roofline is low to the ground for aero efficiency. I had the same problem with our Taycan.

Entry is hard for me at 80 since I have new hip replacement, but I have no problem sitting down with feet out and pivoting in. I am 6 ft and 225+. But I will be honest, I will probably be making a reservation for the Gravity because when I hit 81 I will probably need a crane lift to get in any vehicle except my golf cart.
Thank You for your honesty

Back