Lucid entry & exit, with lower back pain

Wow, guys! Thank you for the quick responses.

I am in Boca Raton, Florida.

I am almost an hour from a Lucid Studio, which is doable but it would be great if someone local would be willing to let me see their car locally.
One more thought. I enjoy driving (within limits). A one hour drive, at least not during rush hour, is fun. You have a Mach-e, but I don't know which model but if it is a GT, and driving an hour to a Lucid studio is a hassle, I am not sure you really want/need a Lucid. I often drive 45 to 50 minutes to golf courses and enjoy it. Of course, if I had a base model Mach-e I might not enjoy it so much).

Lucid has two clear advantages over other EVs: extended range and performance through the twisties (I am confident that even a base Mach-e can rapidly pull away from a traffic light). If you don't like to drive, you are eliminating one of the major reasons to get a Lucid -- it simply drives better than anything else.
Have fun at your test drive! Take as much time to drive it as they offer you, the more time behind the wheel the better. Bring a list of your questions, too. PS: I suspect you’ll love i
Have fun at your test drive! Take as much time to drive it as they offer you, the more time behind the wheel the better. Bring a list of your questions, too. PS: I suspect you’ll love it!
Here in Scottsdale there are five test drive cars and they park them in the mall where I do walking (when I am not playing golf). I don't think I have ever seen more than two out at any one time. My suggestion is to do the test drive and then after demonstrating how serious you are as a potential buyer, see if they are willing to let you do a 24 hour test drive (I don't know how busy the test drive cars are there nor how many there are). If they have a surplusage of vehicles, as in Scottsdale, perhaps they will let you. The personnel here at the Scottsdale design studio are wonderfully pleasant and accommodating.

Thank you for your response, Steve.

I actually love to drive but not in South Florida in season!! Traffic is tough here at the moment and even on the freeway it's tough, trying to avoid all the drivers who have no clue what they are doing or where they are going! Turn signals? Absolutely not. They seem to be an optional extra down here!

Anyway, we love our Mach-E, which is the AWD Premium. It is plenty quick, both off the mark and mid-range but not Lucid quick.

The reason I am looking at the Lucid is not only for extra power (I am a real driver, taught to drive in England, where we had real driving tests) but, of all the many, many cars I have owned, I consider the Lucid to be the best looking daily driver ever made!

Thanks again, Steve.

Roger

Thank you for your response, Steve.

I actually love to drive but not in South Florida in season!! Traffic is tough here at the moment and even on the freeway it's tough, trying to avoid all the drivers who have no clue what they are doing or where they are going! Turn signals? Absolutely not. They seem to be an optional extra down here!

Anyway, we love our Mach-E, which is the AWD Premium. It is plenty quick, both off the mark and mid-range but not Lucid quick.

The reason I am looking at the Lucid is not only for extra power (I am a real driver, taught to drive in England, where we had real driving tests) but, of all the many, many cars I have owned, I consider the Lucid to be the best looking daily driver ever made!

Thanks again, Steve.

Roger
I do understand. Florida and Arizona share a propensity of drivers from other locations who have no idea how to drive and drive at various speeds in various lanes without any thought. I have often thought that if drivers followed the rules in the driver's manuals that we all had to study to pass our license test, and drive to the right until one is either keeping pace or all the way to the right (like they do in Germany), we would not have a traffic problem.

My saving grace is that I am able to drive in the car pool lane because I drive an EV. Without that, it would often be no fun.

Will you be keeping the Mach-e or replacing it with a Lucid? I have met several Mach-e drivers and they all say they love the car.

I do understand. Florida and Arizona share a propensity of drivers from other locations who have no idea how to drive and drive at various speeds in various lanes without any thought. I have often thought that if drivers followed the rules in the driver's manuals that we all had to study to pass our license test, and drive to the right until one is either keeping pace or all the way to the right (like they do in Germany), we would not have a traffic problem.

My saving grace is that I am able to drive in the car pool lane because I drive an EV. Without that, it would often be no fun.

Will you be keeping the Mach-e or replacing it with a Lucid? I have met several Mach-e drivers and they all say they love the car.
Although we rarely need 2 cars, we will probably keep the Mach-E as we would take quite a hit if we sold it.

It is not yet 18 months old and bought at the peak, at MSRP.

What with Ford and other EV makers having reduced the prices numerous times, it has really hit the resale market. However, the $7,500 tax credit that we received back then will go a long way towards mitigating the potential loss.

Although we rarely need 2 cars, we will probably keep the Mach-E as we would take quite a hit if we sold it.

It is not yet 18 months old and bought at the peak, at MSRP.

What with Ford and other EV makers having reduced the prices numerous times, it has really hit the resale market. However, the $7,500 tax credit that we received back then will go a long way towards mitigating the potential loss.
That should work out well for you. Because the storage in the back of the Lucid is a trunk, there are height limitations on rear storage despite how deep the trunk is. But the hatch back Mach-e should give you a good alternative when you need to carry taller items.

Well, I have now test driven the Air and, unfortunately, it is not working out for me with my back pain issues.

The entry/exit of the vehicle, while not difficult as such, did leave me in a little pain.

I love everything about Lucid, so I guess my wife and I will just love our Mach-E a little longer when, hopefully, there will be a Lucid Gravity in our future.

Again, thank you so much to all those who responded to my initial question.

Roger

Well, I have now test driven the Air and, unfortunately, it is not working out for me with my back pain issues.

The entry/exit of the vehicle, while not difficult as such, did leave me in a little pain.

I love everything about Lucid, so I guess my wife and I will just love our Mach-E a little longer when, hopefully, there will be a Lucid Gravity in our future.

Roger
A shame it couldn't work out for you so that you can experience the wonderful car. Hope to see you back when Gravity reservations happen before June of this year!

Roger
It does appear that you are locked into a crossover instead of a sedan. That is a shame. I reluctantly went that way only partly because of the ease of entry and exit but also because I prefer a smaller car. When and if you are ready to change from your current Mach-e, do make sure you do test drives in all the vehicles you are considering. Technical specs are good for certain things but seat comfort and ease of in and out is very variable and depends upon how each of us is shaped and built.

Hi Guys:

I am in love with the Lucid Air and desperately want to buy one but I have a concern about entry and exit of the vehicle.

I am in my mid 70's, with minor lower back pain from arthritis. I understand that I will need to lower my head when entering or exiting the car, due to the low roof line but I am wondering if the floor of the Lucid is also lower than a typical sedan, which may result in me having to put more effort into pushing myself up, to exit the car?

Are any of you guys in your 70's and around the same height as me, which is 5'8" and slim build and can comment for me?

I understand that I can visit a Lucid studio for answers but I am not conveniently located to one, so your input and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Roger
My father is 90 years old and is probably about that height now. My mom is 89 and has a lot more physical issues and uses a walker or cane. My father complained about my Model S a lot but had no problems with the Lucid. He didn't make a single comment, which he would have had it been an issue. For my mom, it would have been awkward with any car but she didn't bump her head or lack something to hold onto or have any issues related to the car itself.

Those are experiences as a passenger, and I think it's a bit easier as a driver with a steering wheel to hold onto. Hopefully this will help others who might have similar but different issues.

My father is 90 years old and is probably about that height now. My mom is 89 and has a lot more physical issues and uses a walker or cane. My father complained about my Model S a lot but had no problems with the Lucid. He didn't make a single comment, which he would have had it been an issue. For my mom, it would have been awkward with any car but she didn't bump her head or lack something to hold onto or have any issues related to the car itself.

Those are experiences as a passenger, and I think it's a bit easier as a driver with a steering wheel to hold onto. Hopefully this will help others who might have similar but different issues.
Could it be possible your father got used to the model s?

I am guessing that the wider opening on the Lucid doors made it easier for him to enter and exit.

One more thought for you. If you like a large vehicle, the Gravity is coming out; if you prefer a smaller vehicle (as I do) the Porsche Macan is coming out. One of those two vehicles should meet your needs both in terms of getting in and out and performance and handling (although I find it hard to believe that Lucid and Porsche can make a crossover handle like a sedan but if anyone can, it is those two companies).

One more thought for you. If you like a large vehicle, the Gravity is coming out; if you prefer a smaller vehicle (as I do) the Porsche Macan is coming out. One of those two vehicles should meet your needs both in terms of getting in and out and performance and handling (although I find it hard to believe that Lucid and Porsche can make a crossover handle like a sedan but if anyone can, it is those two companies).
The regular macan does indeed handle like a sedan. The BMW iX might also be a good alternative.

There are SOME sedans that could be able to work for you.. notably the 7 series and the 5 series, both of which come in electric forms. Here is the 7 series vs your mach e for reference:
1705339685154.png

Wider doors help. Grab handles in the back help. They would presumably help in front too or other automakers wouldn't have them. Tesla lacks them completely.
Not only Tesla. Some other car companies are starting to do away with them. Luxury priced cars should always included grab bars as the age of owners will tend to go up as prices go up.

Hi Guys:

I am in love with the Lucid Air and desperately want to buy one but I have a concern about entry and exit of the vehicle.

I am in my mid 70's, with minor lower back pain from arthritis. I understand that I will need to lower my head when entering or exiting the car, due to the low roof line but I am wondering if the floor of the Lucid is also lower than a typical sedan, which may result in me having to put more effort into pushing myself up, to exit the car?

Are any of you guys in your 70's and around the same height as me, which is 5'8" and slim build and can comment for me?

I understand that I can visit a Lucid studio for answers but I am not conveniently located to one, so your input and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Roger
I am 72 and have somewhat limited mobility. I went from a compact SUV EV to the Lucid. Getting in it is fine for me but getting out is a slight challenge. Because the car is still running the steering is live and I can't really use the steering wheel to help push myself up and out. I have to rotate in my seat about 60 degrees and push off the top of the seat, which looks awakward anda is awkward. This is why I wish the Lucid had a stop button, to kill power to the steering and immobilise the steering wheel. Still, I love the car.

I am 72 and have somewhat limited mobility. I went from a compact SUV EV to the Lucid. Getting in it is fine for me but getting out is a slight challenge. Because the car is still running the steering is live and I can't really use the steering wheel to help push myself up and out. I have to rotate in my seat about 60 degrees and push off the top of the seat, which looks awakward anda is awkward. This is why I wish the Lucid had a stop button, to kill power to the steering and immobilise the steering wheel. Still, I love the car.
Once you are in Park mode, moving the steering wheel to help exit will not shift the "gear" setting (unless you had your foot on the break and your hand moved the shift stalk; both unlikely since you are trying to get out). No question a stiffened steering wheel would make it easier to use for pushing against, but I don't believe you need to worry about engaging the car's movement in doing so.

Back