Lucid entry & exit, with lower back pain

rogerdodger

Cars
Mach-E
Hi Guys:

I am in love with the Lucid Air and desperately want to buy one but I have a concern about entry and exit of the vehicle.

I am in my mid 70's, with minor lower back pain from arthritis. I understand that I will need to lower my head when entering or exiting the car, due to the low roof line but I am wondering if the floor of the Lucid is also lower than a typical sedan, which may result in me having to put more effort into pushing myself up, to exit the car?

Are any of you guys in your 70's and around the same height as me, which is 5'8" and slim build and can comment for me?

I understand that I can visit a Lucid studio for answers but I am not conveniently located to one, so your input and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Roger

I had my left hip replaced. Before the replacement, getting in and out of the Lucid would have been a real challenge (that was before Lucid updated its software so that easy entry/easy exit was enabled). That was one of the reasons that I jumped on the GV60P when it became available in my market (one of only 8 initial states) and I tired of waiting on the Lucid Air Pure, or even the specs of the RWD Pure and getting in and out of my BMW sedan was a hassle.

I could now get in and out relatively easily as the hip replacement was terrific. But I must admit that for my 78 year old body, getting in and out of a small SUV (really IMO a raised hatch) with easy entry/easy exit is a whole lot easier than a sedan (and I owned BMW sedans for many years).

I second the suggestion of Adnillien. Tell us where you are and I am confident that if there are members there, someone will be happy to meet up with you and let you try getting in and out of the car. If it is too difficult for you, stop there. Lucid is not for you. But if you are okay with it, you really need to get to a studio and do an extended test drive before making a final decision. If you can drive to the studio, that would give you a great opportunity to compare getting in and out of the Mach-e with the Lucid Air (for this purpose, and for this purpose only, ignore the fact that the Mach-e is a mainstream vehicle and the Lucid Air is a luxury vehicle).

Wow, guys! Thank you for the quick responses.

I am in Boca Raton, Florida.

I am almost an hour from a Lucid Studio, which is doable but it would be great if someone local would be willing to let me see their car locally.

Wow, guys! Thank you for the quick responses.

I am in Boca Raton, Florida.

I am almost an hour from a Lucid Studio, which is doable but it would be great if someone local would be willing to let me see their car locally.
@Bocabob

Hi Guys:

I am in love with the Lucid Air and desperately want to buy one but I have a concern about entry and exit of the vehicle.

I am in my mid 70's, with minor lower back pain from arthritis. I understand that I will need to lower my head when entering or exiting the car, due to the low roof line but I am wondering if the floor of the Lucid is also lower than a typical sedan, which may result in me having to put more effort into pushing myself up, to exit the car?

Are any of you guys in your 70's and around the same height as me, which is 5'8" and slim build and can comment for me?

I understand that I can visit a Lucid studio for answers but I am not conveniently located to one, so your input and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Roger
Im 5 10 and in 70’s. While I have to duck to get in and out, it’s not really a problem. Love the car.

I'm 6'2" and in my mid-50s with no significant back problems. So take this with a grain of salt. Getting in is easier of course because gravity is helping you. And don't worry about getting out. Once you're in you won't want to get out LOL

My wife and I are both in our mid 70s. I'm 6' 2" and she's 5' 5", and we are both about normal weight for our age. I have minor back issues, and my wife just had a total hip. Both before and after her surgery, she had no problems getting in or out of our Pure. I have no problems either, although I do sometimes put my hand on the seat bottom to assist in getting in and out. I don't think the low roof is an issue, as it's just something that you unconsciously adjust to one you are aware of it. Hope that helps.

Hi Guys:

Thanks.

Roger
Roger, are you thinking of the Miami studio, which certainly is a hefty drive from Boca? Or the one in West Palm Beach, which really Isn’t very far from you? I’m in Fort Lauderdale, and have had my Touring since March 2023. I absolutely love it, but it’s a tough comparison about seat comfort, after coming off a MB CLS550, which was basically driving your living room sofa. Getting in and out isn’t really a problem (in fact, the Easy Entry/Exit feature pushes the seat so far back, and so lowdown, that it’s even more of a challenge than leaving it in driving position. I don’t bother using it and leave the seat where is is.). For you, though, especially with a lower back issue, the seat itself might be problematic. You’d have to really play around with the adjustments to find what works for you. All that said, if Fort Lauderdale is easier and closer to get to than West Palm, maybe we could work out a place to meet so you can see what it’s all about. Let me know in a private message. Good luck! Hank

I'd love to have a GT3 or something but I'd just look ridiculous.
However ridiculous you look getting in or out of the Lucid all evaporates when you drive it.

I think most of us in our seventies have been through the back hell...we know what works and what doesn't...

having a really really nice car works.

Rodger, I am 75 and had spinal fusion surgery 6 years ago In the lower lumbar region. I have an Air Touring and find the car seats incredibly supportive. I just finished a 1200 mile roundtrip between my home and the Atlanta area. Even after 8 hours of driving, I did not feel fatigued - and that is without the massage feature! The same was true of a 1600 mile post-Thanksgiving trip to Indy.

I am 5’11” in the morning and have had no trouble with the roofline. Exiting is only a problem when I park too close to the garage wall on the driver’s side and have to convince a cranky right knee that it can bend enough to fit between the tight Vee of the door bottom and the sill. In normal scenarios, the door opens wide and provides great ease of exit for me. You can easily swivel around on the cushion, put your feet on the ground and if necessary gain purchase with the B pillar and door arm rest.

like others have said, sitting in one yourself is the best way to form your own opinion.

Another data point. I’m 5’11” , 65 years old and coincidentally have been dealing with a bad back after slipping on ice carrying a sand bag this week. Yes the lucid is lower then say the wife’s Range Rover so getting in and out is a bit more of a pain. You can hold on to the door and or roof getting in or out . Once in the seats are so adjustable you can configure to any creaky back. The heat and massage functions are icing on the cake. If you are worried long term wait for the gravity in about a year which will just be a taller Air

Guys.... I don't quite know what to say! What a great group this is, with so many of you taking the time to leave such detailed reponses to my question. I am grateful, more than you know!

I have made an appointment for tomorrow to test drive the car at Palm Beach. As many of you have said, it is really the only way to know for sure. I just wish they did 24 hour test drives!!

Again, I thank you so much and I will post here, after my test drive.

And thanks to you, Hank, for offering to meet up with me. Very much appreciated.

Roger

Guys.... I don't quite know what to say! What a great group this is, with so many of you taking the time to leave such detailed reponses to my question. I am grateful, more than you know!

I have made an appointment for tomorrow to test drive the car at Palm Beach. As many of you have said, it is really the only way to know for sure. I just wish they did 24 hour test drives!!

And thanks to you, Hank, for offering to meet up with me. Very much appreciated.

Roger
Excellent. Do let us know how it works out. Hoping you like the car even more after driving it. And hope the entry and exit is good for you.

Roger
Have fun at your test drive! Take as much time to drive it as they offer you, the more time behind the wheel the better. Bring a list of your questions, too. PS: I suspect you’ll love it!

Back