Tesla to J1772 Adapter

Interestingly, I was looking last night as well. And was going to post. I was looking at

Looks the same as yours. Just different logo. Probably all comes from same Chinese factory. I liked all the great reviews until I saw many many were from people given the adapter for free. Saw Several comments that you need to put the adapter on the Tesla charger plug, WAIT 30 seconds and then plug in to our car.

The 60 amp and high wattage on both also seem like they can handle the 16kw Tesla Destination Chargers. My client's hotels have the 16kw. Should be appreciately faster than the 6 or 9 or 12 kw Destination Chargers

I am sure (hope) we will get comments from actual users.

Reactions: ksn
A 60A adapter ain't enough for 16kW at 240V (and definitely not at 208V ...)

I have the 80A TeslaTap Mini. It's solid, it locks at the both Tesla and J177s ends, it's easy to use and doesn't take up much space if I decide to take it with me on a road trip. It was a little pricier than some of the Amazon offerings but I didn't want to cheap out - esp since we can't yet dial down the charging current.

If only I were cool enough.

@DeaneG , It all starts with a change in your handle name!!

Bye the way, I love the stuff from State of Charge!!! Clearly, he has a master electrician or engineer review his feeds before posting. Real knowledge, and not just DIY opinions just to make $$, so unusual for Youtube

Are any of these adaptors UL listed? Does Lucid have any recommendations for a L2 Tesla/J1772 adaptor? I'm guessing there will be a lot more L2 Tesla connections over J1772, as destination chargers, in the future. I would go with what Lucid is recommending.

Are any of these adaptors UL listed? Does Lucid have any recommendations for a L2 Tesla/J1772 adaptor? I'm guessing there will be a lot more L2 Tesla connections over J1772, as destination chargers, in the future. I would go with what Lucid is recommending.
Information/recommendations from Lucid? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I do agree there will be many more adapters out there . I have absolutely zero trust in any claim of UL or CE or CTL or ETL approval on a third party Asian seller on Amaxon.

• Haha
Reactions: ksn
The only ones I've found that can handle a 100amp destination charger is Tesla Tap. I got the Lectron 48 amp one earlier this year. Haven't used it yet.

Information/recommendations from Lucid? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I do agree there will be many more adapters out there . I have absolutely zero trust in any claim of UL or CE or CTL or ETL approval on a third party Asian seller on Amaxon.
If I wait for Lucid recommendation to make my trip, I may be stuck for a long time :).

With every major brand jumping tom the NACS standard I wish Lucid would at least provides one adapter along with the mobile charger in the near future

Great article. No adapter for non-Tesla Evs is UL rated. Just claims from China that they are tested in house to UL standards. 😜🤣 YMMV

The only ones I've found that can handle a 100amp destination charger is Tesla Tap. I got the Lectron 48 amp one earlier this year. Haven't used it yet.
I haven't seen any 100 amp L2 adapters. Lucid is capable of 80 Amp (based on their wall charger). There is a huge difference in price between the US and International Tesla Tap adaptor. I would probably still favor the US version as long as it has locking on both ends of the adapter. I looked it up and the Tesla wall connector and it is up to 48 amp.

Tesla to J1772 Adapter, E-Kite J1772 EVs Charging Adapter, Max 60 Amp & 250V, Waterproof, Security Lock- Suitable for Tesla Mobile Connector, Wall Connector and Destination Charger https://a.co/d/dspqhd1

I just bought this one. Works fine.

Tesla to J1772 Adapter, E-Kite J1772 EVs Charging Adapter, Max 60 Amp & 250V, Waterproof, Security Lock- Suitable for Tesla Mobile Connector, Wall Connector and Destination Charger https://a.co/d/dspqhd1

Thanks! This is the same one I was looking at last night, good to know it works

For $70, I figured I’d just leave an extra one in the car. Less stress.

I haven't seen any 100 amp L2 adapters. Lucid is capable of 80 Amp (based on their wall charger). There is a huge difference in price between the US and International Tesla Tap adaptor. I would probably still favor the US version as long as it has locking on both ends of the adapter. I looked it up and the Tesla wall connector and it is up to 48 amp.

Trouble is, it’s impossible to tell visually whether a V1 or V2 Tesla wall connector is capable of providing 48A, 80A or somewhere in between. But if the wall connector can do 80A, that’s what your Lucid will ask for and that’s what the EVSE will provide - and your $70 48A or 60A adapter might be fine, or it might not and catastrophe may ensue. Sure, it’s an edge case, but it could happen.

I’ll get off my soapbox, y’all do what you want. I guess my feeling is if you’re spending six figures on a car, another three hundred for a US-made, 80A TeslaTap isn’t going to break the bank.

Back