Tesla to J1772 Adapter

It is also worth repeating: Lucid specifically says to avoid using any type of adapter to charge your car.
MB has the same message, too. That said, I also own a Tesla tap just in case.

Trouble is, it’s impossible to tell visually whether a V1 or V2 Tesla wall connector is capable of providing 48A, 80A or somewhere in between. But if the wall connector can do 80A, that’s what your Lucid will ask for and that’s what the EVSE will provide - and your $70 48A or 60A adapter might be fine, or it might not and catastrophe may ensue. Sure, it’s an edge case, but it could happen.

I’ll get off my soapbox, y’all do what you want. I guess my feeling is if you’re spending six figures on a car, another three hundred for a US-made, 80A TeslaTap isn’t going to break the bank.
I will join you on your soapbox and say it won't be fine, 66 amps on a 48 or 60A adapter is asking for trouble.

I wonder if any of these adapters are constructed to meet NEC Section 210.19(A)(1) which states, "Branch-circuit conductors shall have an ampacity not less than the maximum load to be served. Where a branch circuit supplies continuous loads or any combination of continuous and noncontinuous loads, the minimum branch-circuit conductor size, before the application of any adjustment or correction factors, shall have an allowable ampacity not less than the noncontinuous load plus 125 percent of the continuous load."

NEC Section 625.14 requires electric vehicle supply equipment be considered a continuous load.

I will join you on your soapbox and say it won't be fine, 66 amps on a 48 or 60A adapter is asking for trouble.

I wonder if any of these adapters are constructed to meet NEC Section 210.19(A)(1) which states, "Branch-circuit conductors shall have an ampacity not less than the maximum load to be served. Where a branch circuit supplies continuous loads or any combination of continuous and noncontinuous loads, the minimum branch-circuit conductor size, before the application of any adjustment or correction factors, shall have an allowable ampacity not less than the noncontinuous load plus 125 percent of the continuous load."

NEC Section 625.14 requires electric vehicle supply equipment be considered a continuous load.
TeslaTap, at least, accounts for this. But I bought the 80amp (which is 80 continuous) because I’d never wanna be caught unawares.

Because TeslaTap has the chip the emulates a Tesla, it actually negotiates the amperage, if I understand correctly.

Interestingly, I was looking last night as well. And was going to post. I was looking at

Looks the same as yours. Just different logo. Probably all comes from same Chinese factory. I liked all the great reviews until I saw many many were from people given the adapter for free. Saw Several comments that you need to put the adapter on the Tesla charger plug, WAIT 30 seconds and then plug in to our car.

The 60 amp and high wattage on both also seem like they can handle the 16kw Tesla Destination Chargers. My client's hotels have the 16kw. Should be appreciately faster than the 6 or 9 or 12 kw Destination Chargers

I am sure (hope) we will get comments from actual users.
This is the exact model that I purchased, and it's working fine.

Are any of these adaptors UL listed? Does Lucid have any recommendations for a L2 Tesla/J1772 adaptor? I'm guessing there will be a lot more L2 Tesla connections over J1772, as destination chargers, in the future. I would go with what Lucid is recommending.
I asked. Lucid says an adapter might damage the charging port. Translation: They want you to buy their $1,200 charger.

I asked. Lucid says an adapter might damage the charging port. Translation: They want you to buy their $1,200 charger.
To be fair, there are examples online of third-party adapters damaging a car's charging port.

To be fair, there are examples online of third-party adapters damaging a car's charging port.
And our Manual contains a warning from Lucid not to use any adapter between a wall charger's (EVSE) plug and the Lucid charging port.

The problem with the anecdotal reports is lack of context of the use that generated the comment. I would guess that most third party adapters MIGHT/SBHOULD BE ABLE to handle the new Tesla Gen 3 Destination Chargers set at 32 or 40 amps (9kw), but the Tesla older Destination Chargers, Gen 1s and 2s can go to 80amps - 16kw. The Aisian no name adapters are just dumb pass through adapters. Unlike the Tesla Taps. Further context: ARE WE talking about using a cheapie adapter for a few hours/few kw's while shopping at the mall, or parked for 7+ hours overnight in a hotel bringing the car from 15% SOC to 80% or higher?

The context issue is real: many EV home chargers used the cheap Leviton 14-50s for hybrids, at 24 amps, for a few hours a night, for years -- with no problems at all. Then, WHAM, they buy a BEV Lucid or Tesla, big battery, and now charge at 40 amps over night and the receptacles melt.

One thing I do know for sure, if you use a no-name Asian, Amazon $99 adapter between a Tesla Destination Charger and a Lucid, and the "charging" malfunctions for ANY REASON and the Lucid port or Lucid electronic components are damaged, the Lucid warranty WILL NOT cover that. Nor Tesla, nor the hotel. Have fun chasing the three guys working on a folding table in a storage shed in Shanghai that sold the item on Amazon. YMMV.

Translation: They want you to buy their $1,200 charger.

I disagree. You conflate the issues here. You should not automatically equate Lucid's caution about using a no-name, NOT UL listed, third party, $99 Amazon "adapter" as opposed to using a real, legitimate Level 2, UL listed home charger. There are THOUSANDS of Lucid owners successfully using Level 2 home chargers from CP, Juice Box, Autel and many others, everyday, pumping 40 or 48 amps "all night long." With No issues. I know a guy at CP, a very real and substantial company and they are not three guys working on a folding table in Shanghai.

That’s not true; you’re welcome to use any other EVSE or just a 14-50 plug. This is just saying that if you adapter causes an issue, Lucid’s warranty won’t cover that. Fairly straightforward.

@DeaneG . I just read the Tesla technical manuals for electrians installing their older Gen 1 and 2 destination charger. I am even more concerned about using cheap Asian no name adapter with any of these Gen 1 and 2 for adapting a destination charger for our cars. They can output 80 amps and the user has no idea what the hotel wired them for: anywhere from 24-80. Those Tesla EVSEs were made specifically to communicate only with their cars and limit current is necessary. Not so when using a cheap adapter.

I can fully understand why Tesla went with 48 amp max draw for their current Gen 3 and brand new universal UWC. Less chance of mismatch issues, far more compatibility for other brands. And 11.5 kw is nothing to laugh at for overnight charging in a hotel.

Reading the Tesla EVSE manuals, I was thoroughly impressed with their use of technology being transparent to users. The extensive fault checking circuits in their EVSEs were state of the art, based on my limited knowledge. Far more extensive, useful and detailed error information than Charge Points go/no go. And pages on each type of 3-phase!

Imho, the brand new Tesla UWC will sell well. Had it been out, I would have purchased it.

I actually turned my Gen2 tesla wall connector down to 64A recently.

With the 2015 Model S (equipped with dual chargers) I had noticed that the charging handle and cable would get quite hot at 80A, so would manually dial down the charge current through the car or app. This wasn't an issue with the 2020 Model S which would only charge at 48A anyway. But the Lucid will happily slurp away at 80A and once again I noticed the cable getting hot. At 64A, though, it doesn't heat up at all, and even at my measly 208V it's plenty fast enough. Hopefully soon we'll be able to adjust the current from the car or app interface.

Very wise. The entire NEC is based on staying safe and cool.

After telling my EVSE wiring stories to a Tesla friend, he asked to borrow a clamp Amp meter. I told him he already had two, his hands. Unless it's heat tape, no cable or plug out receptacle should ever get HOT. In the immortal words of Vincent in Pulp Fiction, Stay cool.

@DeaneG - the hand suggestion was my quick thinking to not loan out my Flukes!

Back