Tesla to J1772 Adapter

I haven't seen any 100 amp L2 adapters. Lucid is capable of 80 Amp (based on their wall charger). There is a huge difference in price between the US and International Tesla Tap adaptor. I would probably still favor the US version as long as it has locking on both ends of the adapter. I looked it up and the Tesla wall connector and it is up to 48 amp.

... Lucid is capable of 80 Amp (based on their wall charger).... I looked it up and the Tesla wall connector and it is up to 48 amp.
Older Tesla wall connectors are capable of up to 80 amps.

Your linked website says 80 amp.
Which is the maximum under SAE J1772. L2 charging doesn't go any higher than 80A. I suspect the 100A figure has crept into the discussion because you can only draw a continuous 80% of circuit breaker capacity - hence my 80A L2 wall connector is on a 100A breaker.

I’ll get off my soapbox, y’all do what you want. I guess my feeling is if you’re spending six figures on a car, another three hundred for a US-made, 80A TeslaTap isn’t going to break the bank.
And you get REAL UL or ETL certificates you can trust.

High amperage electrical products is not the place to skimp. Some will pay thousands for PPF and coatings, but balk at an extra few dollars for Hubbell receptacles or a certified known quality adapter.

In my associated electronics company, I have seen far too many melted mains input receptacles and power supplies from people who thought what they were wiring up or the third party device they purchased was, in their opinion, ok.

I’ll get off my soapbox, y’all do what you want. I guess my feeling is if you’re spending six figures on a car, another three hundred for a US-made, 80A TeslaTap isn’t going to break the bank.
Even for us five digit car buyers I can tolerate $300.

Nope. V3 maxes out at 48A. V1 and V2 can go up to 80A.
@Spin Doctor I read they are not marked as to version. Indistinguishable. And since our cars can pull 80 amps AC from an EVSE, and our cars do NOT permit us dialing down charging amperage, then any adapter we use on a Tesla destination charger plug must be able to handle the 80 amps our cars can draw. Correct??

Broadly speaking, yes. There are visual differences between Gen3 and the earlier versions, most notably white glass faceplate instead of silver, gray or black plastic, concave rather than convex upper surface, and thinner cable. So if you're sure you're plugging into a Gen3, it's only capable of 48A. But with the earlier two, there's no way of telling, just from looking at it, what it's configured for.

My client's hotels all have the older 80s. Getting the 80 amp adapter. Confucius say: No one was ever fried by using a higher rated than necessary electrical service component.

1000002582.png

I've used this for over 2,000 miles no problem connected to our Tesla wall charger

My client's hotels all have the older 80s. Getting the 80 amp adapter. Confucius say: No one was ever fried by using a higher rated than necessary electrical service component.
😊

Found the following 80 amp adapters . The first one seems to be UL rated

EVDANCE Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter - Max 80 Amp & 250V J1772 EV Adapter Tesla Charger Adapter Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors Destination Chargers and Mobile Connectors https://a.co/d/cgXSnlj

ShockFlo Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Fit for All J1772 EVs, 80A 250V Max-Portable and Waterproof IP55 J1772 EVs Adapter, for Tesla Destination Charger Mobile Connector Wall Connector https://a.co/d/ixP4ApB

😊

EVDANCE Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter - Max 80 Amp & 250V J1772 EV Adapter Tesla Charger Adapter Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors Destination Chargers and Mobile Connectors https://a.co/d/cgXSnlj

ShockFlo Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Fit for All J1772 EVs, 80A 250V Max-Portable and Waterproof IP55 J1772 EVs Adapter, for Tesla Destination Charger Mobile Connector Wall Connector https://a.co/d/ixP4ApB
I'd stay away from both of those.:
1) They do not appear to be UL listed. If they were, they would have a UL or cUL mark on the product, with a file number you could look up online to verify
2) Shockflo is aptly named as it has no latch at either end - a proper adapter would have both.
3) Saving $100 on cheap equipment to carry 20kW into your $100k car? No thanks.

😊

You found two THAT CLAIM to be 80 amp.

It's hard to fathom but products on Amazon make unsupportable false claims all the time. And Amazon could care less. All these Chinese electronic companies are just sales and marketing entities. They buy the same schlock from the same no name factory, have their name put on it. And then all their effort and $$ is put into designing a listing that will fool you into thinking that they are a real electronics company. They are three guys in a back room in Shanghai stuffing boxes.

IMHO, I would not go near either. They are not UL rated. All the Chinese products on Amazon state in the fine print: we test inhouse to UL standards. Yeah, right, tell that to your fire insurance company after your garage burns down. Or the plug on your Lucid melts.

In the reviews on the second, it even talks about a unit melting. Gotta think twice about a product that has reviews that say: customer service was so wonderful in quickly replacing my molten pile of flaming plastic.

Could they? :)

(Haha sorry, just being a pedant this morning)

Seriously, it's a good point. Many of us are older and remember buying stuff from Sears. Like a battery or hose. If it broke, you brought it back and Sears stood behind their product. I dare say few understand that NO ONE stands behind the goofy named, Chinese, third party schlock on Amazon. Amazon absolves themselves. And worries only about IP infringement. I am fine with no name garden furniture covers. But sensitive high amerage electronics? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

It is also worth repeating: Lucid specifically says to avoid using any type of adapter to charge your car.

You found two THAT CLAIM to be 80 amp.

It's hard to fathom but products on Amazon make unsupportable false claims all the time. And Amazon could care less. All these Chinese electronic companies are just sales and marketing entities. They buy the same schlock from the same no name factory, have their name put on it. And then all their effort and $$ is put into designing a listing that will fool you into thinking that they are a real electronics company. They are three guys in a back room in Shanghai stuffing boxes.

IMHO, I would not go near either. They are not UL rated. All the Chinese products on Amazon state in the fine print: we test inhouse to UL standards. Yeah, right, tell that to your fire insurance company after your garage burns down. Or the plug on your Lucid melts.

In the reviews on the second, it even talks about a unit melting. Gotta think twice about a product that has reviews that say: customer service was so wonderful in quickly replacing my molten pile of flaming plastic.
@Worldwide Beagle , @DeaneG , @Spin Doctor - Thanks a lot taking the time to provide feedback. I ordered the Tesla tap but look like it may not reach me before my trip. So was trying to see if there if there are other options available. Looks like I just need to hope the Tesla tap makes it in time.

It is also worth repeating: Lucid specifically says to avoid using any type of adapter to charge your car.
I would love to do that. But the US is going NACS so perhaps Lucid will provide an adapter for us early adopters, or for the future add a NACS port on the backside so we can pull in like a Tesla.

Back