• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Tesla Superchargers to open to all EVs in California

erivaldoff

Cars
Air Pure
From California give on threads today

“Huge news for California drivers – the Tesla supercharging network is opening to non-Tesla vehicles!

This adds thousands of fast chargers to California's EV charging network, bringing us to more than 105,000 public EV chargers – including 10,000 fast chargers – and counting.”

From California give on threads today

“Huge news for California drivers – the Tesla supercharging network is opening to non-Tesla vehicles!

This adds thousands of fast chargers to California's EV charging network, bringing us to more than 105,000 public EV chargers – including 10,000 fast chargers – and counting.”
Not sure how this is news when it's been in the works for a year already ? What's new with this?

Wonder why this is taking time, isn’t this just a matter of some software updates? Why 2 years drag for this?
Maybe because the chargers will be absolute garbage if they release now (and then of course, the same people who wanted it early would complain about slow speeds)? Maybe because Tesla is openly lying to us about V4 chargers being 1000v when they are just using the old V3 cabinets (there is NO evidence of a single 1000v SC being released)?

I don't know why everybody thinks SCs are a big deal in their current state. Maybe if they used 1000v cabinets it would... but right now, they are pretty useless.

Wonder why this is taking time, isn’t this just a matter of some software updates? Why 2 years drag for this?

I don't know but I don't expect instant results in the real world even when it only means a few programming lines in the software.

There is a logistics for an orderly rollout. Adapter order must be filled and shipped. Interoperability must be debugged: You've complaints charging problems with EA not recognizing Lucid. Hundreds of thousands of VIN need to registered in the system...

Ford and Rivian can now access Tesla Superchargers. GM and some others will be next.

Procrastinators like Mazda and Lucid who didn't enroll in the program earlier like Ford will access last.

Maybe because the chargers will be absolute garbage if they release now (and then of course, the same people who wanted it early would complain about slow speeds)? Maybe because Tesla is openly lying to us about V4 chargers being 1000v when they are just using the old V3 cabinets (there is NO evidence of a single 1000v SC being released)?

I don't know why everybody thinks SCs are a big deal in their current state. Maybe if they used 1000v cabinets it would... but right now, they are pretty useless.
I’ve got to disagree here. While 50 kW chargers are definitely slower than optimal, they can be quite instrumental on a road trip. It really means a difference of an extra 30 minutes, which is worth it to reduce range anxiety, etc. It’s still significantly faster than charging at home. The main reason that many so far refuse to buy EVs, especially non-Tesla EV’s, is range anxiety and infrastructure concerns. This solves that. We should all take it as a win instead of ask for more. Over time, as I’ve said now for years, this problem will solve itself. Even the highest charging speeds we have in our present-day Lucids will seem ridiculously slow and antiquated over the next decade.

If it is an additional increase in access of chargers, slow or fast, it is a big deal.

It's not a big deal for those who have access to an electrical outlet at home but many don't such as apartment dwellers, and travelers.

It's not a big deal if you can wait in a long line for the fast 350kW while you could charge slowly at 50kW next door with so many more stalls.

Speed is nice but the basic necessity of predictable and reliable slow 50kW is still better than nothing.

In addition, remember: many others like Ford, GM, Mercedes... Have committed to build their own 350kW chargers for everyone already. There will be no need for slow 50kW charger at that time.

Last edited:
We should all take it as a win instead of ask for more.
You can do both. Be happy about the fact that there will be more (if slow) chargers, and simultaneously ask/expect them to get better.

Agreed on the rest.

What does Tesla charge to use their chargers? Today I was at an EA ($0.56 kW-hr) a 4 stall station 150 kW each. In the same parking deck there are 8 Tesla Superchargers. One of the four EA spots had a Model 3 charging while a Taycan was waiting. There were open spots at the Super Chargers.

PlugShare lists prices. For example: https://www.plugshare.com/location/214425

1714342621530.png

Just checked, its not in Plugshare. Looked it up on Tesla's web site, listed as $0.53 per kW-hr (12 stalls all 250kW). So the owner I saw was taking one of 4 spaces at EA, paying 3 cents per kW-hr more, rather than use the Tesla chargers. Does not make any sense to me, unless I'm missing something. Maybe EA (150kW) was faster than Tesla (250kW).

Just checked, its not in Plugshare. Looked it up on Tesla's web site, listed as $0.53 per kW-hr (12 stalls all 250kW). So the owner I saw was taking one of 4 spaces at EA, paying 3 cents per kW-hr more, rather than use the Tesla chargers. Does not make any sense to me, unless I'm missing something. Maybe EA (150kW) was faster than Tesla (250kW).

That Model 3 owner might have an Electrify America Pass+ Membership with 25% off. Or got a promotional code for free charging....

Or the superchargers were down. Tesla isn’t perfect either haha

Unless the Superchargers have longer cables on them than the ones I've used for our Tesla or the Lucid owner can straddle two spaces (not a good way to make friends), I don't think Tesla charging will be of much use. Maybe there are some Tesla SC's with the charging stands mounted alongside the cars, but every one I've been to had the charging stand at the end of the space. Tesla charging ports are in the rear taillight, and even then it can be a stretch for a cable to reach.

He was paying $0.56 (according to his screen when he hooked up). I did not drive over the other side to see if the Tesla station was working. He only had 3% when he connected. He and his family went to the outlet mall to go shopping once the car started charging.

Unless the Superchargers have longer cables on them than the ones I've used for our Tesla or the Lucid owner can straddle two spaces (not a good way to make friends), I don't think Tesla charging will be of much use. Maybe there are some Tesla SC's with the charging stands mounted alongside the cars, but every one I've been to had the charging stand at the end of the space. Tesla charging ports are in the rear taillight, and even then it can be a stretch for a cable to reach.
They are actively replacing the short cables with longer ones.

Back