Tesla Superchargers to open to all EVs in California

I think this issue has been discussed in several threads, with individual concerns in each. But for me, the take away was...

1. Incentives for EVs have outpaced the priduction of charging stations - hence the relative scarcity
2. Free charging has exacerbated the imbalance as many use the charging stations as routine instead of home charging.
3 The situation may improve as free charging runs out and number of charging stations increase (along with access to Tesla SCS)
4. There are jerks across the nation that vandalize charging stations which may be an increasing problem.
5. Improvements in the design of charging stations, including increased security, and better queuing flows may augment increasing the.number if charging stations.
I've always thought that putting these stations in a crowded mall, near the front, looking like regular parking spots is a recipe for confusion, anger and jealousy as non EV cars compete for these spaces...

If you want a great reference for Tesla superchargers currently available to Lucids go to Tesla.com/findus. This will provide a map of the US with all of the Tesla superchargers. On this map, there are 3 supercharger icon styles: Tesla only (old 150kw units), Tesla and APPROVED non-Tesla with NACS or adapter (currently Ford, Rivian and soon GM), and Supercharger sites for all EVs due to the Magic-dock. With this map, you can selectively travel to the Magic-dock locations until the day arrives that Lucid can access all of the units except the old 150 kw units.

It's a bummer that tesla is so far behind at producing the adapters.. and Lucid is way down the list ... I contacted lucid and they confirmed the 3rd party adapters will void you warranty.

Meaning that you cannot charge a Lucid even at a Magic-dock without an adapter provided via Tesla?

Meaning that you cannot charge a Lucid even at a Magic-dock without an adapter provided via Tesla?
There are three Tesla -> Lucid charging situations:
1) Superchargers with a magic dock will work at a max of 50kW without any additional adapter. The magic dock is a built-in adapter, and the fact that it is present also indicates that the stand is open to more than just Tesla and Tesla-approved vehicles.
2) Regular superchargers won't currently work at all even if you do have an adapter because they will only authenticate Tesla-approved vehicles.
3) Tesla destination chargers (L2) will work with an adapter because they don't have special authentication.

So the destination chargers you sometimes find at hotels are the only case where you'd need an adapter now. But the talk above is regarding if/when Lucid is added to the approved list to access the regular superchargers.

I think this issue has been discussed in several threads, with individual concerns in each. But for me, the take away was...

1. Incentives for EVs have outpaced the priduction of charging stations - hence the relative scarcity
2. Free charging has exacerbated the imbalance as many use the charging stations as routine instead of home charging.
3 The situation may improve as free charging runs out and number of charging stations increase (along with access to Tesla SCS)
4. There are jerks across the nation that vandalize charging stations which may be an increasing problem.
5. Improvements in the design of charging stations, including increased security, and better queuing flows may augment increasing the.number if charging stations.
I've always thought that putting these stations in a crowded mall, near the front, looking like regular parking spots is a recipe for confusion, anger and jealousy as non EV cars compete for these spaces...
For the first time ever I saw a queuing system at a charging station. The EA charging station (14 chargers) at Westfield Valley Fair Mall in Santa Clara, CA has an enter only lane that you go up to a placard with wait here until charger available. Worked pretty well.

For the first time ever I saw a queuing system at a charging station. The EA charging station (14 chargers) at Westfield Valley Fair Mall in Santa Clara, CA has an enter only lane that you go up to a placard with wait here until charger available. Worked pretty well.
That's great! I've yet to see one but I hope that's their template for the future.

Back