Negotiations on Tesla opening superchargers: thought it was further along

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
Still quite a way to go before any chance of Tesla opening its supercharger network to CCS vehicles?

I believe it when I see it.
Musk and his promises... well, we all know how that goes.

I wish it would happen as it would completely change the charging landscape in Texas.

Even if it opens it’s still a long way off from cars with 800/900v architecture being able to use it to its full potential.

We will only see the benefit when Tesla rolls out 1000v superchargers and I don’t think that’s coming until next year.

I would imagine Tesla owners are going to be pretty pissed off when they have to wait to charge their car because so many non-Teslas are using their chargers.

Even if it opens it’s still a long way off from cars with 800/900v architecture being able to use it to its full potential.

We will only see the benefit when Tesla rolls out 1000v superchargers and I don’t think that’s coming until next year.
It will be more reliable than EA and many more stations.

I would imagine Tesla owners are going to be pretty pissed off when they have to wait to charge their car because so many non-Teslas are using their chargers.
Just like I get pissed off seeing a Tesla owner at a 4 charger EA station when a 20 charger supercharger is down the road. Fair game!

They can bitch and moan all they like but stop using non Tesla chargers then. The new supposed V4 supercharger location in Coalinga in CA will have something like 100 chargers and Tesla stated that only a handful will be CCS so Tesla owners will still have the advantage at Suoercharger locations

Just like I get pissed off seeing a Tesla owner at a 4 charger EA station when a 20 charger supercharger is down the road. Fair game!
I recently saw a Tesla driver doing just that, right in the same parking lot as a supercharger. I asked him why and he said because EA has cheaper rates.

I recently saw a Tesla driver doing just that, right in the same parking lot as a supercharger. I asked him why and he said because EA has cheaper rates.
Perhaps, that is the problem. EA is cheaper also than EVgo. Do we get what we pay for?

Is that true, charging speeds limited to 50kW?
Yes. Superchargers are only 400v. The wunderbox can only handle max 50Kw on a 400v charger.

It’s not just limited to Lucid, it’s all 800v+ cars. The Taycan is the only one that can go to 100Kw I believe but it’s far short of what it’s capable of also. Ioniq 5, max 75Kw

This is why it’s not as easy as opening up the supercharger network and we’re all cheering with joy. 50Kw is sloowww! My biggest concern is Elon slaps some CCS cables on the current supercharger, gets government funding and all of us on 800/900v still can’t get what the government promised, 150Kw minimum. Do our politicians really know the difference between 800/900v cars and 400v ones? I doubt it.

Yeah, Tesla's superchargers are not cheap. Maybe that's part of the reason they are more reliable.

Tesla Inc. TSLA 1.64%increase; green up pointing triangle will open part of its proprietary Supercharger network to other kinds of vehicles for the first time, the White House said Wednesday. The move qualifies the company for a share of billions of federal dollars on offer to build a national network of electric-vehicle chargers.

I know PR said that they won't be investing in their own charging network. However, given the incentive, why not utilize the funds and build better network that EA or others which would eliminate the #1 pain point of reliable charging. This way they can let the world know that whatever they marketed is indeed actually true and achievable. Possibly, attracting more buyers as it the charging speed is relatively quicker than other EVs out there....
just wondering..

"Tesla plans to open at least 3,500 new and existing 250-kilowatt chargers to drivers of all kinds of EVs by the end of next year" Let us hope so and by then I
hope EVgo and CHPT will also have more DCFCs.

Back