Taking Delivery in WINTER Help!

AlignTrex

Hi all,
I am taking delivery Friday here in Chicago. The car has the summer 20" tires on them. How am I going to drive it home with summer tires? Can't get a hold of anyone at the service center to see what my options are. Can't buy the 19" tire with all season because they are not available when I take delivery. Wanted to ask service if I bring in tires/wheels would they be able to put them on for me. But again, can't get a hold of anyone at the service center. My DA tells me I'll be fine driving it home and I am not too sure since there will be snow and sub zero temps on Friday. What are my options? What are people doing when they take delivery with 20" or 21" summer tires with winter conditions???

I might wait for the roads to be clear to drive home or you can get winter rubber. The storm hasn't hit yet and tough to tell if it will be really snowy or one of those a bit of snow on the windshield deals.
How far do you live from the delivery location (are you picking it up from Goose Island or Oakbrook)?
How would you bring in wheels with winter tires to the delivery location (they will take up a bunch of room)?
Does Lucid know when they can get you a set of winter wheels and tires?
Does TireRack (or fill in the blank vendor) know when they can get you a set of winter wheels and tires?
Will the folks at Goose Island program the car for the new TPMS if you purchase wheels and tires on your own (I was told they would not but other folks seem to have overcome this Lucid policy issue)?
FYI, Goose Island will not store your wheels/tires, they brought my Summer set to my home in the mobile service van.

Hi all,
I am taking delivery Friday here in Chicago. The car has the summer 20" tires on them. How am I going to drive it home with summer tires? Can't get a hold of anyone at the service center to see what my options are. Can't buy the 19" tire with all season because they are not available when I take delivery. Wanted to ask service if I bring in tires/wheels would they be able to put them on for me. But again, can't get a hold of anyone at the service center. My DA tells me I'll be fine driving it home and I am not too sure since there will be snow and sub zero temps on Friday. What are my options? What are people doing when they take delivery with 20" or 21" summer tires with winter conditions???
If you want to buy a second set of tires and wheels…tirerack.com can get you a 19inch set of wheel and tires around $2000-$2500 depending on what you choose…I got a full set of 19 on all seasons for just under $2000…they mount and balance them at tirerack making it easy to switch your tires back and forth depending on weather.

Please tell us what happened. Driving with those tires in those temperatures is muy no bueno.

I predict he moved the delivery out to next week

Really cold and windy and somewhat snowy here in Chicago today

Hi all,
I am taking delivery Friday here in Chicago. The car has the summer 20" tires on them. How am I going to drive it home with summer tires?
Looking at the temps: DEFINITELY DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR
What are my options? What are people doing when they take delivery with 20" or 21" summer tires with winter conditions???
If you can afford the car you can afford a covered trailer to tow your car home.

Learn how to adjust the regen to low and allow roll to make it easier to load/unload in the tight space of a trailer. Learn how to turn off the bump / tilt warning. You need to learn how to get to the 12v in the right rear wheel well...to put the car in neutral... to install the tow loop....so much to look forward to. keep a pencil and a note book in the glove box and keep a log.

you are going to love this car like no other

welcome to the asylum

Looking at the temps: DEFINITELY DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR

If you can afford the car you can afford a covered trailer to tow your car home.

Learn how to adjust the regen to low and allow roll to make it easier to load/unload in the tight space of a trailer. Learn how to turn off the bump / tilt warning. You need to learn how to get to the 12v in the right rear wheel well...to put the car in neutral... to install the tow loop....so much to look forward to. keep a pencil and a note book in the glove box and keep a log.

you are going to love this car like no other

welcome to the asylum
Lucid wants to deliver cars prior to year end.
If you ask them nicely, I would have to believe they will deliver to home.

Hi all,

Really cold ,,, here in Chicago today
mid-western humor

The issue is not how the car drives/handles on ice and snow ... (all cars perform well with proper winter tires).

The problem is a whole lot of folk have no idea how terrible summer performance tires are when it gets even close to freezing.

The issue is not how the car drives/handles on ice and snow ... (all cars perform well with proper winter tires).
Summer tires are clearly much worse. However, not all cars perform the same when it comes to being on all seasons. Winter tires are better of course, and at the end of the day the tires make a massive difference, but it is true that various vehicles with the same all season tire will have extremely varying handling profiles.

Lucid 20" wheels come with Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires.

I just got these Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons from Tire Rack and had them put my the 20" rims for a drive from New Hampshire to Florida.
Same Load Range (XL) and Service Description (99Y/104Y). Had TireRack ship them to my local tire store for the install. No one locally had them in stock.
They seem very good. And after experiencing this arctic freeze we're having, I'm really glad I did
Lucid Tires.jpg

Last edited:
Lucid 20" wheels come with Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires.

I just got these Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons from Tire Rack and had them put my the 20" rims for a drive from New Hampshire to Florida.
Same Load Range (XL) and Service Description (99Y/104Y). Had TireRack ship them to my local tire store for the install. No one locally had them in stock.
They seem very good. And after experiencing this arctic freeze we're having, I'm really glad I did
View attachment 7982
but those aren't rated or warrantied for EVs?

The Pilot Sport the same load ratings which Tire Track said was required. The EV variant have foam inside to make them a little quieter.

Well,
It was a questionable day to take delivery. We faced some challenges along the way which was not shown in our video.

Congratulations and enjoy it in the best of health.
They upgraded the gift, I didn't get the License plate frame(s).

Thanks for doing the DIY aero cover removal. I hadn't seen what folks were referring to about having to order new lug nuts and center caps when going without the aero covers.

I also think what Lucid is calling a Silver color is a nice lLght Gray.

Have the Summers wrapped up and ready for the flight to FL.
IMG_0547.jpeg

Back