Sprint Mode

If the alternative drive modes do not impact EPA range testing (OEM has shown same results in either mode) then the OEM can use any drive mode on start up. Either Lucid has less range in Sprint or has not tested it.
Since most of the test is moderate accelerations I can't see the mode changing the range much. Test and submit the lower range (if it is lower) to the EPA. This will allow starting in any mode.

If the alternative drive modes do not impact EPA range testing (OEM has shown same results in either mode) then the OEM can use any drive mode on start up. Either Lucid has less range in Sprint or has not tested it.
Since most of the test is moderate accelerations I can't see the mode changing the range much. Test and submit the lower range (if it is lower) to the EPA. This will allow starting in any mode.
For sure Sprint is lower range because it automatically preconditions the battery.

The next time we have a meetup, if you still haven't launched yet, you can experience one with me.

(That's never not going to sound like a bad pickup line. 😏)
I'll join @Amster and @terrycs for this as well.

The thing is, I'd try it if another Lucid owner who has done it before was my copilot.

I'll join @Amster and @terrycs for this as well.

The thing is, I'd try it if another Lucid owner who has done it before was my copilot.
So we can all just pile into each other's cars to compare 🤣

I get it. I've been the same way about the Launch thing, even though it sounds like I drive faster than you in general.
I live in Vegas and so my "city" driving speed is 45-70. Is rare I'm under 45.

I'm almost never on the highway/freeway here but when i am, I'm between 75-85, and getting passed by 85% of drivers.

I once _might_ have gone over 3 digits passing some traffic coming from Cali and had no clue i was going that fast. The Lucid was handling like i was going 45 😂.

Can’t until the regulations change. Presently, the EPA requires testing to be done in the mode the car defaults to when it boots.

Tesla, iirc, ignores this and hasn’t gotten burnt yet, but all the other manufacturers follow the rules.
I don’t know the regulations well enough but couldn’t they work around this by having a “preferred driving profile” setting that is only activated once the car is put into drive after the car has booted? The car would still ship with smooth being the default until the driver changed it. Then when the car boots, it gets thrown into smooth mode, driver puts it in reverse or drive and that triggers the look back to the “preferred driving profile” setting. Idk just a thought.

I don’t know the regulations well enough but couldn’t they work around this by having a “preferred driving profile” setting that is only activated once the car is put into drive after the car has booted? The car would still ship with smooth being the default until the driver changed it. Then when the car boots, it gets thrown into smooth mode, driver puts it in reverse or drive and that triggers the look back to the “preferred driving profile” setting. Idk just a thought.
Read this: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=6c7bc068-8a4e-4de2-ab84-4537836ee29c

In short: no. If they did that, their range would go down to an average of the range in Sprint and in Smooth.

Read this: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=6c7bc068-8a4e-4de2-ab84-4537836ee29c

In short: no. If they did that, their range would go down to an average of the range in Sprint and in Smooth.
  • If a vehicle has a manual drive selector (i.e., a shift lever or shifter) that can activate multiple drive modes, the vehicle will be considered to have a single drive mode only if the manufacturer provides the end user instructions on which mode to use for normal, everyday driving.

Idk this point seems pretty straightforward to me and this is effectively what I’d be saying they would do with the gear shifter.

• If a vehicle has a manual drive selector (i.e., a shift lever or shifter) that can activate multiple drive modes, the vehicle will be considered to have a single drive mode only if the manufacturer provides the end user instructions on which mode to use for normal, everyday driving.

Idk this point seems pretty straightforward to me and this is effectively what I’d be saying they would do with the gear shifter.
That is referring to having the car in “Drive,” vs. “Snow” or similar. The screen is not a “manual drive selector” as much as I wish it were.

If there were a physical button for switching drive modes between Smooth, Swift, and Sprint, and if there were a section in the manual that specified that all normal, everyday driving should be done in Smooth, I’d agree with you.

That is referring to having the car in “Drive,” vs. “Snow” or similar. The screen is not a “manual drive selector” as much as I wish it were.

If there were a physical button for switching drive modes between Smooth, Swift, and Sprint, and if there were a section in the manual that specified that all normal, everyday driving should be done in Smooth, I’d agree with you.
Furthermore, having a “preferred profile setting” would go against this point:

• Generally, EPA will consider the factory drive mode that the vehicle is in when first delivered to be the default drive mode for certification testing barring “substantial evidence” that the vehicle will be driven in another mode. Such evidence may come from the owner’s manual or any publication from the manufacturer or the manufacturer’s proxy instructing the operator to use a different mode.

The manual having a preferred option would likely constitute “substantial evidence” that the vehicle will be driven in another mode.

And THAT is one of the main features Lucid should implement: user customizable drive mode profiles. For example, soft suspension with max power and torque to emulate a comfortable grand tourer car on the highway, firmer steering but with lower power, etc! One of the best features of Tesla's is how they have so many customizable options and so much "statistics" you can see, which is literally pure bliss for the tech nerds (suspension data, etc).
IIRC, Lucid's rationale is that they want to limit the number of combinations to tune and refine; otherwise it's too many variables to calibrate. This is decidedly a different approach from other manufacturers, but I can understand where they're coming from.

Back