Spare tire

Never had a tire blow out in my life until until last night. The blow outs I have heard here have generally been on the 20“ or 21” wheels. I have the 19”. Coming back from dinner in Mira Mesa last night. Made a right turn onto vista Sorrento Parkway and within 100 feet I hit a huge pothole which I couldn’t see in the nighttime fog. Blew out the sidewall on the right front tire. Had to get towed to the house and towed to Discount Tire this morning as they have the tires in stock. I am not contemplating getting a spare in case this happens the evening of a holiday weekend again.. Not really how I was planning to spend my Saturday, but at least I will have it fixed. Now I will have to have the service center check the alignment and suspension for any damage before I send the bill to the city.

Never had a tire blow out in my life until until last night. The blow outs I have heard here have generally been on the 20“ or 21” wheels. I have the 19”. Coming back from dinner in Mira Mesa last night. Made a right turn onto vista Sorrento Parkway and within 100 feet I hit a huge pothole which I couldn’t see in the nighttime fog. Blew out the sidewall on the right front tire. Had to get towed to the house and towed to Discount Tire this morning as they have the tires in stock. I am not contemplating getting a spare in case this happens the evening of a holiday weekend again.. Not really how I was planning to spend my Saturday, but at least I will have it fixed. Now I will have to have the service center check the alignment and suspension for any damage before I send the bill to the city.
It’s only been 21s thus far, but that sucks!

Tell me more about this “sending the bill to the city.” Does that work?

I will let you know. A SD police car showed up while I was waiting for the tow and asked if I needed help. Told him I was just waiting for a tow after the pothole shredded my tire. The police told me, without prodding, that the road is city maintained and that I should submit a claim. We had already planned to do that before he arrived as others we know have done it but that confirmed it for us.

I will let you know. A SD police car showed up while I was waiting for the tow and asked if I needed help. Told him I was just waiting for a tow after the pothole shredded my tire. The police told me, without prodding, that the road is city maintained and that I should submit a claim. We had already planned to do that before he arrived as others we know have done it but that confirmed it for us.
No wonder California municipal districts go bankrupt with so many bills. 😢

Well, finally got my EZ Spare which has an outside diameter of 28.4". It fits in the front trunk well enough but does not sit flat at the bottom of the space. I do not know the outside rolling diameter of the Pirelli 245/45R19 OEM tires and trust that the EZ Spare diameter will not be a problem for short distances in the event of sidewall damage. (I appreciate the link to the Modern Spare, but when I went to the site it did not list a spare for Lucid.)
What tipped your decision in favor of Modern Spare? It looks like a solid choice.
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I like the Modern Spare wheel better. This is a full-blown real tire (Continental) also so not as limited as a regular space saver tire.

Is the $90 jack kit from EZspare a cheap Chinese kit like the ones on Amazon for $50?

Blew my left front 21" tire on a pothole. Lucid said to deal straight with Pirelli as Pirelli told them they were turning in too many warranty requests. I have a new tire coming thru Les Schwab. I told Lucid they need to source a better tire.

... Lucid said to deal straight with Pirelli as Pirelli told them they were turning in too many warranty requests. I have a new tire coming thru Les Schwab. I told Lucid they need to source a better tire.
Wow, the car is delivered with what appears to be an interior/insufficient OEM tire... Lucid should be standing behind their product on this and not passing the buck for their own bad decision on what tire to put on the car.

Yes it does. You have to take pictures of the pothole and damage to your vehicle and submit bills to the risk mgmt department. This is the case in cities across CA. I know SF also covers damage caused by potholes. You won't believe how much SD pays out annually to bicyclists/scooter riders thrown off their bikes when they hit a pothole along with pedestrians tripping on uneven sidewalks..

Wow, the car is delivered with what appears to be an interior/insufficient OEM tire... Lucid should be standing behind their product on this and not passing the buck for their own bad decision on what tire to put on the car.
Sounds like they were, and Pirelli told them to have the customer deal with it directly 🤷‍♂️

Yes it does. You have to take pictures of the pothole and damage to your vehicle and submit bills to the risk mgmt department. This is the case in cities across CA. I know SF also covers damage caused by potholes. You won't believe how much SD pays out annually to bicyclists/scooter riders thrown off their bikes when they hit a pothole along with pedestrians tripping on uneven sidewalks..
Good to know!!

Blew my left front 21" tire on a pothole. Lucid said to deal straight with Pirelli as Pirelli told them they were turning in too many warranty requests. I have a new tire coming thru Les Schwab. I told Lucid they need to source a better tire.
So I hit a pothole this morning on my way back from Vegas.

Called Pirelli, they told me to go through an authorized dealer.

Went through discount tire who was able to get 2 new tires.
They're back ordered for 6 weeks though.

Pirelli warranties the tires depending on tread, so less than 1/32th wear and they'll cover 100%
And less, so on..
They're covering $272 each and the tire cost is like $360

These are the 19 inch

So I hit a pothole this morning on my way back from Vegas.

Called Pirelli, they told me to go through an authorized dealer.

Went through discount tire who was able to get 2 new tires.
They're back ordered for 6 weeks though.

Pirelli warranties the tires depending on tread, so less than 1/32th wear and they'll cover 100%
And less, so on..
They're covering $272 each and the tire cost is like $360

These are the 19 inch
Good to know and a little unusual that they're warranted by Pirelli. I think Michelin no longer warrants their OEM tires.
That must have been a monster pothole. I think you may be the first on the forum to have lost a 19" tire. 😢

Good to know and a little unusual that they're warranted by Pirelli. I think Michelin no longer warrants their OEM tires.
That must have been a monster pothole. I think you may be the first on the forum to have lost a 19" tire. 😢
Yeah, one of the reasons I wish the cameras on the car were recording so I can review the footage.
Let me paint a picture, blizzard and snowstorm, fog, visibility less than 200 ft
80 mph highway

I was going about 45-50, but still was driving and hit a 'thump'. Never even saw it coming, it was underneath a thin layer of powdered snow.
No idea what it was. My wife said I ran over ice. So I was thinking it may have just fell off a semi or something.

Now I'm finding out it was a pothole, both tires had some damage and he's putting in for the claim.

I'm getting all 4 tires warrantied by Discount tire, they'll cover all the tires up until they're bald for a piece of mind.

Total cost puts me around $400 for 2 replacements and all 4 warrantied.

Going to write up a full Vegas review here soon on how the trip went, I'm back home now

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I like the Modern Spare wheel better. This is a full-blown real tire (Continental) also so not as limited as a regular space saver tire.
I have the modern spare from my Tesla S. Does the Modern Spare work on the Lucid without any modifications or add ons?

Nope. I lost A 19” tire here in a massive San Diego pothole. I think not fixing the potholes is their way of forcing everyone to mass transit.

Back