Spare tire

I read a post somewhere in this thread stating the Tesla Model S listed on Modern Spare's web page will work. I tried calling yesterday to verify and they were closed. Will call again Monday, or Tuesday and post there recommendation.
It will work, but it won't fit in the subspace in the frunk. It will still fit above that space. The EZ Spare one fits in the subspace in the frunk.

I just looked at the EZ Spare website and it says that for my Air GT with 21" wheels it would recommend a 20 " spare - is that correct? We were pretty shocked that these cars don't have spares, guess we are old school. We had a blow out on a tire with less than 400 miles on it and Lucid is saying Pirelli won't help us out on this. I had been told that the cameras on the car do not retain the video now that I am putting up a stink about this - yet when we had to sign away our privacy rights, I asked our delivery agent about that and she said that Lucid uses that video to help if there was an accident, which indicted to me that they DO retain the video. I am now asking Lucid to provide me with the video footage of what we hit to cause a "road hazard flat" rather than a factory defect blow out - so far they say they have nothing for us. We heard and saw nothing hit the bottom of the car - just heard a loud pop and instant flat tire - the hole is in the thickest part of the tread too. These tires come with no warranty and are pretty fragile from my experience. And I heard they suck in the rain and snow - strictly a high performance summer tire. We have been told by tire people and Lucid that 10-15,000 miles is the life expectancy - whaaaat!?$$$ We would like some kind of spare as the Pirelli do not run flat and you can't use the goo spray stuff to fill a hole and give you 50 miles to find a place to pull over.

I just looked at the EZ Spare website and it says that for my Air GT with 21" wheels it would recommend a 20 " spare - is that correct? We were pretty shocked that these cars don't have spares, guess we are old school. We had a blow out on a tire with less than 400 miles on it and Lucid is saying Pirelli won't help us out on this. I had been told that the cameras on the car do not retain the video now that I am putting up a stink about this - yet when we had to sign away our privacy rights, I asked our delivery agent about that and she said that Lucid uses that video to help if there was an accident, which indicted to me that they DO retain the video. I am now asking Lucid to provide me with the video footage of what we hit to cause a "road hazard flat" rather than a factory defect blow out - so far they say they have nothing for us. We heard and saw nothing hit the bottom of the car - just heard a loud pop and instant flat tire - the hole is in the thickest part of the tread too. These tires come with no warranty and are pretty fragile from my experience. And I heard they suck in the rain and snow - strictly a high performance summer tire. We have been told by tire people and Lucid that 10-15,000 miles is the life expectancy - whaaaat!?$$$ We would like some kind of spare as the Pirelli do not run flat and you can't use the goo spray stuff to fill a hole and give you 50 miles to find a place to pull over.
The EZ Spare site is correct. Most cars now don’t come with spares anymore.

No idea on the video.

The 21” tires do great in the rain; I was very pleasantly surprised. I wouldn’t use them on snow; I bought a spare set of the 19s for that.

I’m at 9k+ miles on the 21s and still have 7/32-9/32 of tread left (depending on the tire) so doubt it’s only 10k-15k miles, but they’re definitely summer performance tires.

You can use the Lucid tire sealant / fix a flat kit for a hole, but not a blowout.

Well, finally got my EZ Spare which has an outside diameter of 28.4". It fits in the front trunk well enough but does not sit flat at the bottom of the space. I do not know the outside rolling diameter of the Pirelli 245/45R19 OEM tires and trust that the EZ Spare diameter will not be a problem for short distances in the event of sidewall damage. (I appreciate the link to the Modern Spare, but when I went to the site it did not list a spare for Lucid.)
Elsewhere I posted this:
(but then failed to point at any one specific calculator... there are many)...
Just did a quick google and see this one (that will yield you the diameters given the other parameters):

At 14k miles, and these tires, the 21s, can probably do 20k.

At 14k miles, and these tires, the 21s, can probably do 20k.
I hope so - I was pretty shocked at the concept of new tires once a year, I mean at 20,000 that still is potentially every other year. We actually drive our cars - not in the driveway to look pretty. We too are shopping different tire options as we really want more longevity. I believe it was the Michelin ones that Costco gave us a decent price on, although not substantially cheaper, they had a longer projected life span. We found no run flat tires in this size. I too would like to hear from anyone that has gotten the Michelins.

I hope so - I was pretty shocked at the concept of new tires once a year, I mean at 20,000 that still is potentially every other year. We actually drive our cars - not in the driveway to look pretty. We too are shopping different tire options as we really want more longevity. I believe it was the Michelin ones that Costco gave us a decent price on, although not substantially cheaper, they had a longer projected life span. We found no run flat tires in this size. I too would like to hear from anyone that has gotten the Michelins.
Run flats suck. Harsh ride and noisy. You don't want them.

I had a blowout at 700 miles and had to pay for a new tire. Lucid was kind enough to trailer my car to Torrance (from near San Luis Obispo) to change the tire and balance the wheels in case the alignment got messed up with the blowout (it didn't). You've paid $150k for the car. You can afford a $400 tire...

Just got my EZ Spare tire today.
This one is "Made in Thailand," whereas the one I got 8 months ago for another car was made in Italy.
Just FYI, when I spoke with her last, she was intimating that there may be a price hike because the shipping cost.

Hmm .. I received my Ez-spare set yesterday (as promised by Ginny). When I went to test everything out today, I realized that my tire doesn't fit in my frunk?? How did you make it fit? I ordered the 20" wheel .. is yours a 19" ?

Since a photo is worth 1000 words, I'm attaching photos of my order from Ez-Spare (which included the jack and wrench). I'm also attaching a photo of the Lug Cap Removal Tool [Example Of one here] mentioned in various posts to show how to use it (but was not part of my order from Ez-Spare).
I also got the same as you and same torx bolts and it was six in the plastic bag. I havent tried it on yet. What are these bolts for? Cant the car five nuts be used for the spare as well? If not, I need to buy a torx socket.

I also got the same as you and same torx bolts and it was six in the plastic bag. I havent tried it on yet. What are these bolts for? Cant the car five nuts be used for the spare as well? If not, I need to buy a torx socket.
You should have received 5 lugnuts and the torx to hex adapter. No torx socket needed. The different lugnuts are to ensure that they mate up with the spare wheel correctly, there are different shapes of lugnuts/lug bolts. If you use the wrong one, it can come loose.

You should have received 5 lugnuts and the torx to hex adapter. No torx socket needed. The different lugnuts are to ensure that they mate up with the spare wheel correctly, there are different shapes of lugnuts/lug bolts. If you use the wrong one, it can come loose.
Yes, the bag that came with the wheel/tire contains the 5 Lug nuts and the Adapter.
I'm attaching a photo w/ the contents of the bag (lug nuts & adapter) and a photo of the Torx-Hex Adapter (they call a Key). The adapter allows you to use the standard socket and as @Shuasha said, I'd use the lug nuts that came w/ the EZ-spare.

Attachments

• LugNutsAndAdapter.jpeg
    LugNutsAndAdapter.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Torx2Hex.jpeg
    Torx2Hex.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 81
Yes, the bag that came with the wheel/tire contains the 5 Lug nuts and the Adapter.
I'm attaching a photo w/ the contents of the bag (lug nuts & adapter) and a photo of the Torx-Hex Adapter (they call a Key). The adapter allows you to use the standard socket and as @Shuasha said, I'd use the lug nuts that came w/ the EZ-spare.
Thanks a lot. I first only looked through the plastic and assumed they were all the same. After closer look now, i do have the torx adapter and five bolts.

Just saw this video of the Rivian R1S spare tire setup

I'm probably never going to get my R1S (my reservation seems to be in "permanent hold"), but hope the Gravity will come w/ a spare tire.

Just saw this video of the Rivian R1S spare tire setup

I'm probably never going to get my R1S (my reservation seems to be in "permanent hold"), but hope the Gravity will come w/ a spare tire.
That tire is awesome. I had one on my R1S order, but Rivian pulled all accessories so it will have to be ordered later. I like that it is stored in a deflated state, and when inflated gets to the right size. What’s even more impressive that it returns to its original form when deflated so I can fit back in the storage area. in my opinion, all manufacturers should offer a spare tire like this to save space.

That tire is awesome. I had one on my R1S order, but Rivian pulled all accessories so it will have to be ordered later. I like that it is stored in a deflated state, and when inflated gets to the right size. What’s even more impressive that it returns to its original form when deflated so I can fit back in the storage area. in my opinion, all manufacturers should offer a spare tire like this to save space.
I got the same email .. but will likely have a better chance of buying the Adventure Gear from the shop then I ever will in actually getting the R1S.

As for the tire, I thought the same thing .. couldn't believe how well it "deflated" .. will have to change my mind about Engineers from the Netherlands 😜

I got the same email .. but will likely have a better chance of buying the Adventure Gear from the shop then I ever will in actually getting the R1S.

As for the tire, I thought the same thing .. couldn't believe how well it "deflated" .. will have to change my mind about Engineers from the Netherlands 😜
Yes, Neanderthals seem to be getting smarter by the day! My current delivery window for my R1S is October to December 2023. But Rivian will be releasing new delivery estimates sometime in January, I thoroughly expect that it will push out to Q1 2024.

Yes, Neanderthals seem to be getting smarter by the day! My current delivery window for my R1S is October to December 2023. But Rivian will be releasing new delivery estimates sometime in January, I thoroughly expect that it will push out to Q1 2024.
Good Luck .. it's a good thing you're in CA.

I had my mid 2021 reservation set for delivery on the 1st half 2023 (as of Apr. 2022) and then a month or so, I got booted into "Processing Estimate" due to "lack of Service Centers near me" .. So, considering that there are no plans for new service centers anywhere near me, I'm guessing I'll stay in limbo for a while. If you ordered after the price hike, you'll have a much better chance or receiving a delivery in 2023 ..

Good Luck .. it's a good thing you're in CA.

I had my mid 2021 reservation set for delivery on the 1st half 2023 (as of Apr. 2022) and then a month or so, I got booted into "Processing Estimate" due to "lack of Service Centers near me" .. So, considering that there are no plans for new service centers anywhere near me, I'm guessing I'll stay in limbo for a while. If you ordered after the price hike, you'll have a much better chance or receiving a delivery in 2023 ..
I’m pre-price increase, but after Launch Edition. Funny thing is, the service centers for Lucid, Rivian and Tesla are all within spitting distance of each other in Costa Mesa! Right now I think the delay for me it’s just simple ramp up in production

I’m pre-price increase, but after Launch Edition. Funny thing is, the service centers for Lucid, Rivian and Tesla are all within spitting distance of each other in Costa Mesa! Right now I think the delay for me it’s just simple ramp up in production
A bit frustrating, but hopefully as they finish their Launch Edition deliveries, you'll be near the top of the list. Seems that So. Cal. is on the "good list".

I have a Lucid (delivered in Sep) and had a Tesla (Tesla center is a few miles from me), but for some reason, Rivian can't figure out how to deliver one to me (though there's plenty of R1Ts driving around town).. I guess I'm on the naughty list.

Good luck!

Back