South Jersey: goin' down the shore

Cosmo Cruz

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
2022 Air GT: Cos/Cruz
DE Number
Wife wants to take me to take her "down the shore" tomorrow.

The trip from our house in the Philly 'burbs to our regular spot, just over the 34th St. bridge below Ocean City, is 100 miles and about 90 minutes if you leave by 6:30 AM. So a little over 200 miles round trip. No worries. But. She retired two weeks ago and we've never gone to check out Cape May (at the very bottom of S. Jersey) and stayed in one of the vintage hotels in this historic town. So maybe 300 miles and with a few side trips since we are in no hurry to be back in time for work, maybe 400 miles. Maybe we take the ferry to Lewes, DE.

So I"m lookin' at the EA map of S. Jersey and don't see any chargers. They dry up just outside Camden. It gets worse:

Check it out on the EA site: not a single charger in Delaware! Not one! None in that entire peninsula with includes Eastern Maryland.

So going to plug in tonight and fill 'er up. Got the 21's on now so need to subtract some miles from my 516 range. I guess I'll plan on having 400 miles...that should give me enough to get back to civilization. Love the irony: they finally approved building wind farms off the shore, but all the power goes to making salt water taffy!

Wife wants to take me to take her "down the shore" tomorrow.

The trip from our house in the Philly 'burbs to our regular spot, just over the 34th St. bridge below Ocean City, is 100 miles and about 90 minutes if you leave by 6:30 AM. So a little over 200 miles round trip. No worries. But. She retired two weeks ago and we've never gone to check out Cape May (at the very bottom of S. Jersey) and stayed in one of the vintage hotels in this historic town. So maybe 300 miles and with a few side trips since we are in no hurry to be back in time for work, maybe 400 miles. Maybe we take the ferry to Lewes, DE.

So I"m lookin' at the EA map of S. Jersey and don't see any chargers. They dry up just outside Camden. It gets worse:

Check it out on the EA site: not a single charger in Delaware! Not one! None in that entire peninsula with includes Eastern Maryland.

So going to plug in tonight and fill 'er up. Got the 21's on now so need to subtract some miles from my 516 range. I guess I'll plan on having 400 miles...that should give me enough to get back to civilization. Love the irony: they finally approved building wind farms off the shore, but all the power goes to making salt water taffy!
Sounds about right in south jersey. Cape May is a very nice town to visit but traffic can get pretty bad getting into and out of there. Enjoy!

Result of trip.

Total distance: 180 miles.
SOC start 85%
SOC end 40%
kWh used 45%
(calculated range at 100% to 0% = 400 miles )

miles per kWh indicated 3.6

conditions for test:
factory 21" Pirelli P-Zero inflated to 45 psi
temp. 21 to 26 degrees;
light wind;
elevation change fewer than 20 meters
cruising speed ~ 75 to 80 mph;
max speed ~ 90 to 95 in short bursts... most of expressway driving cruse control mode.
min. speed: some 10 or so min. of creeping/stop & go, 20-30 min. or so of city driving

I am pleased with this result. This means my "don't worry about it" range is about 320 miles,
using the 80% to 20% SOC range recommended, the sticky tires, and driving ten over with bursts of excess.

Today I went to my local 150 EA chargers in Plymouth Meeting, PA to replenish. There was a service guy there last week, and it looks like he took one of the 4 chargers out of service and limited the flow on the others to 56-57 kW. I tried two of them but no joy, (would be over an hour to 80% from 35% with conditioning) so went to King of Prussia EA 350 chargers. Only one was out of service. Got 201 kW one minute after plug-in then it followed the charge curve. Went 32% to 80% in 23 minutes. Next to me was a kia pulling 23 kW... on a 350 charger... and something else pulling 52 kW, also on a 350. This guy had just pulled-in ...it was his peak. I felt sorry for them, but this is an enormous shopping mall with plenty of things to do if you have to wait several hours for a fill-up.

Stopped by the Lucid Service center on the other side of the Mall. Two guys wearing safety vests standing around next to a van, doing nothing. Huge front window shattered on building (was it the violent electrical storm we just had??), so you can go in and walk around...no work being done inside, it's still empty. The location is "remote" / isolated from the Mall and can't be seen from anywhere. If you don't know where it is you'd never find it. No signs at the access road off of Mall Blvd. Looks like a regular hang- out for miscreants. The entire parking lot (huge) is full of circular tire marks (burnouts and donuts) and signs of partying. Place has been abandoned for 5 years or so. Lots of debris and trash dumping. If you have some barrels of Dioxin you need to get rid of this is the place. Nobody will see you.

Side note: the AQI today is 157 (red = unhealthy). My eyes are burning, sinuses aching, feel crappy all over.
It is recommended that N95 masks be worn when outside... it's the opposite of the Covid pandemic: take it off inside, put it on if going outside. Set the car AC to recirculate.

Anyone know how long we have to wait for all the trees in Canada to burn up ? Seems like all the air quality measures we've taken are pointless. Might as well go back to burning Pennsylvania coal, and driving 8 mpg Chryslers. 440 Six Pack anyone ?
1688147331915.png

ahh the good old days, when air pollution was of no concern, and Canada was a silvan Eden for Moose, Inuit / Meitis,
Red Green
1688149939630.png

and the McKensey Brothers.

Last edited:
Result of trip.

Total distance: 180 miles.
SOC start 85%
SOC end 40%
kWh used 45%
(calculated range at 100% to 0% = 400 miles )

miles per kWh indicated 3.6

conditions for test:
factory 21" Pirelli P-Zero inflated to 45 psi
temp. 21 to 26 degrees;
light wind;
elevation change fewer than 20 meters
cruising speed ~ 75 to 80 mph;
max speed ~ 90 to 95 in short bursts... most of expressway driving cruse control mode.
min. speed: some 10 or so min. of creeping/stop & go, 20-30 min. or so of city driving

I am pleased with this result. This means my "don't worry about it" range is about 320 miles,
using the 80% to 20% SOC range recommended, the sticky tires, and driving ten over with bursts of excess.

Today I went to my local 150 EA chargers in Plymouth Meeting, PA to replenish. There was a service guy there last week, and it looks like he took one of the 4 chargers out of service and limited the flow on the others to 56-57 kW. I tried two of them but no joy, (would be over an hour to 80% from 35% with conditioning) so went to King of Prussia EA 350 chargers. Only one was out of service. Got 201 kW one minute after plug-in then it followed the charge curve. Went 32% to 80% in 23 minutes. Next to me was a kia pulling 23 kW... on a 350 charger... and something else pulling 52 kW, also on a 350. This guy had just pulled-in ...it was his peak. I felt sorry for them, but this is an enormous shopping mall with plenty of things to do if you have to wait several hours for a fill-up.

Stopped by the Lucid Service center on the other side of the Mall. Two guys wearing safety vests standing around next to a van, doing nothing. Huge front window shattered on building (was it the violent electrical storm we just had??), so you can go in and walk around...no work being done inside, it's still empty. The location is "remote" / isolated from the Mall and can't be seen from anywhere. If you don't know where it is you'd never find it. No signs at the access road off of Mall Blvd. Looks like a regular hang- out for miscreants. The entire parking lot (huge) is full of circular tire marks (burnouts and donuts) and signs of partying. Place has been abandoned for 5 years or so. Lots of debris and trash dumping. If you have some barrels of Dioxin you need to get rid of this is the place. Nobody will see you.

Side note: the AQI today is 157 (red = unhealthy). My eyes are burning, sinuses aching, feel crappy all over.
It is recommended that N95 masks be worn when outside... it's the opposite of the Covid pandemic: take it off inside, put it on if going outside. Set the car AC to recirculate.

Anyone know how long we have to wait for all the trees in Canada to burn up ? Seems like all the air quality measures we've taken are pointless. Might as well go back to burning Pennsylvania coal, and driving 8 mpg Chryslers. 440 Six Pack anyone ?
View attachment 13284
ahh the good old days, when air pollution was of no concern, and Canada was a silvan Eden for Moose, Inuit / Meitis,
Red Green View attachment 13288

and the McKensey Brothers.

IMG_3664.jpeg

Back