Sony and Honda just announced their new electric car brand, Afeela

I'd like to see one in Aphiladelpheelala.
I'm looking for a small EV for local use. Range of 150 miles (home charging) more than enough for grocery / garden / gun shop trips.

definitely on my watchlist
not going to wait for any Amerikan mfgr. to make a proper small car ... how's that going for ya, Elon ?
1687640588066.png
the Tesla "Tweet"

I'd like to see one in Aphiladelpheelala.
I'm looking for a small EV for local use. Range of 150 miles (home charging) more than enough for grocery / garden / gun shop trips.

definitely on my watchlist
not going to wait for any Amerikan mfgr. to make a proper small car ... how's that going for ya, Elon ?
View attachment 13144the Tesla "Tweet"
Miata is always the answer
I already transplanted my electric motors into my Miata ev conversion, just have to dyno it now! Expecting around 350 hp, but its only 2700 pounds.

Thank you for all the photos! I'm surprised they allowed everyone to sit in it etc! Side mirror cameras are on some cars already but they are not allowed in the US market as they have not been approved.
We could sit in the car, and there was a long line of people waiting for that, but couldn't touch any buttons. Other than the interior door handles. Thankfully, there is a physical lever to get out of the car.

Will they ever release this. Looks very cool.
I do not have the energy to listen to the whole video. I actually sat through a half hour presentation when Sony bought the car to Qualcomm last year, and that was pretty difficult! Do they have any of the real engineering worked out yet? When I saw it back in June, it was basically a shell filled with electronics, video and amazing audio. Great to watch a movie in, but there was nothing else. And the Sony guys would not answer any questions about batteries, range, any real world driving questions about what the plan was.

I do not have the energy to listen to the whole video. I actually sat through a half hour presentation when Sony bought the car to Qualcomm last year, and that was pretty difficult! Do they have any of the real engineering worked out yet? When I saw it back in June, it was basically a shell filled with electronics, video and amazing audio. Great to watch a movie in, but there was nothing else. And the Sony guys would not answer any questions about batteries, range, any real world driving questions about what the plan was.
Nope, just software as I noted…

They did release some extremely basic(and lacking) specs here

With the sedan packing a 241-hp electric motor on each axle and DC charging at speeds up to 150 kW..

I kinda like the design. Looking forward to its release.
From the picture of the interior it looks like almost everything is controlled by either the touchscreen or the steering wheel. I don't see any buttons/switches on the dash. To me, that is a non-starter. I want switches for things I use while driving like the radio, the seats (maybe there are seat controls on the side of the seat, I couldn't tell), lighting, HVAC, etc.

Car companies are using the concept of "minimalist" to justify cost saving moves. There are a few companies that are resisting this...so far. The new Corvette has switches, I believe Porsche has been resisting the trend, etc.

From the picture of the interior it looks like almost everything is controlled by either the touchscreen or the steering wheel. I don't see any buttons/switches on the dash. To me, that is a non-starter. I want switches for things I use while driving like the radio, the seats (maybe there are seat controls on the side of the seat, I couldn't tell), lighting, HVAC, etc.

Car companies are using the concept of "minimalist" to justify cost saving moves. There are a few companies that are resisting this...so far. The new Corvette has switches, I believe Porsche has been resisting the trend, etc.
And Lucid, of course! Although the gravity does go a step in the wrong direction with the steering wheel touchpads, IMO. I wonder if they physically move or are just haptic like those horrible MK8 GTI switches?

T
And Lucid, of course! Although the gravity does go a step in the wrong direction with the steering wheel touchpads, IMO. I wonder if they physically move or are just haptic like those horrible MK8 GTI switches?
The Gravity steering wheel button array is both physical and haptic

T

The Gravity steering wheel button array is both physical and haptic
Yeah, I wouldn't equate the Gravity wheel controls with standard touch screen type controls. For one thing, they do have haptic feeback. For another, they are completely easy to use without looking. They are stationary and small on either side of the wheel. To me, the perfect compromise between physical switches and touch controls.

You get all the advantages of programmability and changing the controls over time, without the major drawbacks of putting buttons on a screen.

Yeah, I wouldn't equate the Gravity wheel controls with standard touch screen type controls. For one thing, they do have haptic feeback. For another, they are completely easy to use without looking. They are stationary and small on either side of the wheel. To me, the perfect compromise between physical switches and touch controls.

You get all the advantages of programmability and changing the controls over time, without the major drawbacks of putting buttons on a screen.
Wait, you can change the functions of it?? That is a VERY useful feature!

Wait, you can change the functions of it?? That is a VERY useful feature!
Well, THEY can change the functions. But the one on the right accesses recent items, so in a way, it does change depending on how you use the car.

Well, THEY can change the functions. But the one on the right accesses recent items, so in a way, it does change depending on how you use the car.
Ah. I would have loved it it was user customizable, like each quadrant of the pad being a quick response to a text message for example! That would be very hard and only the power users would need it in a family SUV, so I do understand.

Ah. I would have loved it it was user customizable, like each quadrant of the pad being a quick response to a text message for example! That would be very hard and only the power users would need it in a family SUV, so I do understand.
There are at least one or two customizable physical buttons in the UI they showed, represented by a star iirc.

There are at least one or two customizable physical buttons in the UI they showed, represented by a star iirc.
That might help but it depends upon how customizable that feature will be (I believe the buttons on my prior BMWs may be the ultimate current standard; the Genesis GV60P, on the other hand, only offers a choice of select options).

Back