Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Plan On Installing Solar Panels

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Not Getting Solar Panels

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Unable To Install Solar Panels At Current Home

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
The ROI in California seems to be much quicker since we have such high kW/h rates. It's too bad Edison/PG&E/SDG&E lobbied so well for the time-of-use plans instead of net metering. Mine were installed about a year before the change over, so I got grandfathered into net metering (sneaky one-time email saying I had to explicitly refuse the ToU plan, good thing I was paying attention). The panels paid for themselves in about 6 years. Funny thing is, SDG&E periodically sends me emails trying to convince me to move to a ToU plan, and they include silly statements like "you could save -$520/year if you switch!"... Ummm, no thanks...
It really depends on when you use power. My electricity with solar is much cheaper on the TOU plan as I get paid more in net metering during the peak time than I spend during the night super off peak.

Are they allowing for cost escalation of electrical rates?

Warranties are typically 25yrs on panels and equipment but only 10 for storage batteries.
But price inflate over time, and EV get free fuels, these are factors to consider when recuperating cost. The years down the road freerolling might even outperform S&P500 return.

As mentioned before, I have a 9.6kW system with two Tesla Powerwallls. I live in Tucson so summer heat is horrendous and the HVAC system is going. I spend less than $280 a year on electricity but my ROI is around 8 years. I have 3 HVAC units and charge a Tesla M3 plus 2 golf carts. I think it is the only way to go in AZ but not sure if I lived in CT still. I will be charging QG/Tahoe GT soon so I am ready. I use powerwalls after sun goes down and use very little grid power if I power down by 10 pm. The summer dictates my highest bills because of the HVAC systems including the ductless system in the garage. At my age, I am enjoying life and what it entails...I am where I am, because that is where I wanted to be. Bring on my GT soon!!!!!
putting in a 24kW system in with much the same draw as you, house under construction in Phoenix :)

It really depends on when you use power. My electricity with solar is much cheaper on the TOU plan as I get paid more in net metering during the peak time than I spend during the night super off peak.
That’s fair. I have family at home during the day running appliances and AC, so there isn’t much leftover to bank. Once I have the socket installed and am charging at night, I may change my tune.

That’s fair. I have family at home during the day running appliances and AC, so there isn’t much leftover to bank. Once I have the socket installed and am charging at night, I may change my tune.
Yes. If your family is using all the solar during the day, TOU makes no sense. We run dishwasher, washing machine, car charging all during the night or weekends And pump as much solar into the grid during the day as we can.

my accountant feels like it is not worth it since the payback after 10 years is minor and then how long do these panels last and what are the costs to maintain them.
Does you
Yes. If your family is using all the solar during the day, TOU makes no sense. We run dishwasher, washing machine, car charging all during the night or weekends And pump as much solar into the grid during the day as we can.
When working from home, I tend to let solar first replenish my power walls back to 100%, if I don't need to run AC at night which many evenings in summer, once the sun goes down, it cools off outside and I just open the windows. After the PWs are charged (typically around noon), if I need to charge (Tesla Model S), I manually adjust the vehicle amperage to use just the excess solar that is generated. Once charged, I push all excess solar generation to the grid. Currently, Tesla can't automate this with their vehicle and Tesla Solar ... GRRRR. My 2nd EVSE (Wallbox Pulsar Plus), has a similar feature that allows me to real time adjust amperage while a charging session is in progress. I installed the Wallbox before end of last year to get the tax credit. From what I've seen, the Lucid App (and Cadillac Lyriq and Rivian ... my other pending EV reservations) don't have this feature so I'll need to rely on a smart charger to adjust. I'll probably replace my Tesla Wall Connector with another Wallbox when I get the Lucid. SCE has NBC (non-bypassable charges) for any generation you pull back from the grid ... its minimal (~$.02/kWH) but I'd rather not pay SCE a penny if I can avoid it!! LOL

Does you

When working from home, I tend to let solar first replenish my power walls back to 100%, if I don't need to run AC at night which many evenings in summer, once the sun goes down, it cools off outside and I just open the windows.
If you have an attic, you should also consider a whole house fan. At night, when the air cools, you can turn on the fan and it blows the warm house air into the attic (and out the eaves). This draws the outside air into the house. You can rapidly cool down the rooms in a house (especially the upstairs if you have a multi level house). Then you can leave on low all night long to keep cool air coming in and doing mass cooling of the house, such that you may not need to use AC that night or the next day.
I highly recommend them!

I have a whole house generator, so I am not too interested in V2H. I just don't like the idea of draining my car's battery to power my home.

The panels supposedly degrade 0.5% per year. Also, dust forms on them, they get dirty and produce less energy over time.
You can clean the panels. It's quite easy.

If you have an attic, you should also consider a whole house fan. At night, when the air cools, you can turn on the fan and it blows the warm house air into the attic (and out the eaves). This draws the outside air into the house. You can rapidly cool down the rooms in a house (especially the upstairs if you have a multi level house). Then you can leave on low all night long to keep cool air coming in and doing mass cooling of the house, such that you may not need to use AC that night or the next day.
I highly recommend them!
Second the whole house fan. We love ours.

If you are in SoCal stay away from Solar Optimum.

I'm getting a 15 KW system. Just waiting on the city of Phoenix permits. I shopped around and got about 10 quotes and they ranged from $2.20 - $4.00. I went with the contractor I felt most comfortable with @ $2.60. Is anyone else in the Phoenix area getting solar and facing delays with city permits?

Does you

When working from home, I tend to let solar first replenish my power walls back to 100%, if I don't need to run AC at night which many evenings in summer, once the sun goes down, it cools off outside and I just open the windows. After the PWs are charged (typically around noon), if I need to charge (Tesla Model S), I manually adjust the vehicle amperage to use just the excess solar that is generated. Once charged, I push all excess solar generation to the grid. Currently, Tesla can't automate this with their vehicle and Tesla Solar ... GRRRR. My 2nd EVSE (Wallbox Pulsar Plus), has a similar feature that allows me to real time adjust amperage while a charging session is in progress. I installed the Wallbox before end of last year to get the tax credit. From what I've seen, the Lucid App (and Cadillac Lyriq and Rivian ... my other pending EV reservations) don't have this feature so I'll need to rely on a smart charger to adjust. I'll probably replace my Tesla Wall Connector with another Wallbox when I get the Lucid. SCE has NBC (non-bypassable charges) for any generation you pull back from the grid ... its minimal (~$.02/kWH) but I'd rather not pay SCE a penny if I can avoid it!! LOL
An option that I would like to see on the Volt is a solar roof for charging while I am at work. My car will be sitting in the parking lot getting sun for nine hours a day. Plus another hour getting to and from work.

An option that I would like to see on the Volt is a solar roof for charging while I am at work. My car will be sitting in the parking lot getting sun for nine hours a day. Plus another hour getting to and from work.
The maximum energy you could get from a solar roof on a car in clear weather in July would be something in the neighborhood of 1kWh per day, enough to drive four careful miles. Half that or less in the winter.

$23k four years ago, $155/yr now for PGE, so about 1/12th previous. Payback calculations usually don't count cost of money or risks. Better to consider diversity: I will have power at the same rate no matter stock market or PGE bankruptcy. And environment: I have capital to invest in clean energy at close to break even. Many do not.

Back