Solar for Charging Purposes

We had a 21 panel array added to our new home in March of last year. Since then we've generated about 30% more energy than we've used, although with fees, differences in usage versus generation rates, and a rate plan change, we still have at least a small electrical bill each month. But it about than half of what we would have otherwise payed, if not much less. A nice benefit of EV ownership was being apply to enroll in a time-of-use plan instead of the standard plan with a flat rate. By charging my car overnight during off-peak times we can come very close to breaking even on the bill during the sunnier months.

It'll be at least 10-15 years before we recoup the costs, but it feels good to support renewable energy and put less stress on the electrical grid. Luckily where we live prolonged outages are extremely rare, so we did not feel the need to also add battery storage. My hope is that if or when the time comes that a backup is needed that V2H functionality will be a possibility, either with our Lucid or whatever EV we have at the time.

We had a 21 panel array added to our new home in March of last year. Since then we've generated about 30% more energy than we've used, although with fees, differences in usage versus generation rates, and a rate plan change, we still have at least a small electrical bill each month. But it about than half of what we would have otherwise payed, if not much less. A nice benefit of EV ownership was being apply to enroll in a time-of-use plan instead of the standard plan with a flat rate. By charging my car overnight during off-peak times we can come very close to breaking even on the bill during the sunnier months.

It'll be at least 10-15 years before we recoup the costs, but it feels good to support renewable energy and put less stress on the electrical grid. Luckily where we live prolonged outages are extremely rare, so we did not feel the need to also add battery storage. My hope is that if or when the time comes that a backup is needed that V2H functionality will be a possibility, either with our Lucid or whatever EV we have at the time.
Well here in CA some of our better legislators are trying to stop electric utilities from charging residents a fixed charge based on income instead of energy usage. If implemented those residents who were able to afford to purchase and install solar panels will be punished and further solar implementation will be disincentivized. We already have the highest energy rates in the country!!

Thanks for letting us know about the API link. Would you know what battery capacity would have been in an Air GT brand new? 112 KWh? 106 KWh? There’s some debate between online sources about an Air GT’s useable battery capacity.

Depending on which number I use, and if I’ve interpreted my API data correctly, I’ve lost either 6% or 1%, after 16 months and 31,000 miles of ownership.
I don't actually know the answer to this or what factors into the capacity value in the API. The capacity given in the API is slightly lower than the stated capacity across the board. For comparison, the capacity from all GT submissions to that site is between 101.4 - 107.6 kWh. Not a very wide spread. The vehicle with 107.6 kWh has 24k miles on it, the one with 101 kWh has 14k miles. Tourings are between 85.5 - 87.1, when the stated capacity is 92 kWh. Dreams, 107.8 - 110.1 kWh.

I don't actually know the answer to this or what factors into the capacity value in the API. The capacity given in the API is slightly lower than the stated capacity across the board. For comparison, the capacity from all GT submissions to that site is between 101.4 - 107.6 kWh. Not a very wide spread. The vehicle with 107.6 kWh has 24k miles on it, the one with 101 kWh has 14k miles. Tourings are between 85.5 - 87.1, when the stated capacity is 92 kWh. Dreams, 107.8 - 110.1 kWh.
Could it be that the API is showing usable capacity instead of gross?

I have solar panels on my roof and I am a big advocate of solar energy. The geography of your home/roof is a major factor however and needs to be assessed.

Be very wary of all the solar scams out there. Those scams are practically ruining the residential solar industry. If anyone offers you "free" solar panels or solar panel leasing options, kick them where the sun don't shine and slam the door!
Amen to this warning. The 'lease' deals here typically run 30 years and have many traps.

Thanks for letting us know about the API link. Would you know what battery capacity would have been in an Air GT brand new? 112 KWh? 106 KWh? There’s some debate between online sources about an Air GT’s useable battery capacity.

Depending on which number I use, and if I’ve interpreted my API data correctly, I’ve lost either 6% or 1%, after 16 months and 31,000 miles of ownership.
Mine is at 105KWh after 20k miles and 17 months.

I just have solar panels installed, waiting for approved for local utility to activate it.

My GT is 103 kW after 21 months 18K miles.

Touring: 86 kWh down from 92 after 5 months and 4k miles. All DCFC.

New thread?

Touring: 86 kWh down from 92 after 5 months and 4k miles. All DCFC.

New thread?
Degradation is fastest at the very beginning. Considering starting a poll to establish a trend line.

I would do solar but wife is against it. She says I won't live long enough to make it pay. I insist I would live longer if we had solar.
I haven't pushed as our roof faces East and West, the West being shaded by large oaks.

Thing is I've opted for alternative generation from PECO (we are nuke) just to support the cause ... wind I think.
So my car is either wind powered ...

... or uranium powered.

Degradation is fastest at the very beginning. Considering starting a poll to establish a trend line.
It's best taken as a series of points of % remaining capacity, calendar months since new, miles since new

And location to see how climate affects it.
Also ideally a roughly estimated number of times DC fast charged. For parameters that don't affect degradation too much, we may not have enough cars' data to get a clear picture.

I am starting my 5th year with solar and powerwalls. I use EA mainly on trips and charge my spouse's Tesla, my Lucid and our EZGO golf cart regularly at home. I missed out on the benefit of net metering but still only run about $750-800 a year on electricity. We have a 3000SF home with a garage heatpump, a 5T and 3T HVAC in house. I did receive the 30% tax credit so all is well in my world.

I'm not a solar expert but I do have a solar system installed. To answer the OP's question, solar would be worthwhile, even under the new net metering agreement (NEM 3). However, the breakeven cost is extended. In California, the estimated time is 9-10 years under NEM3. And it is highly incentivized to install storage cells to avoid high time of use (TOU) periods, where you are charged much more for energy. Theoretically, your car could assist during these periods if we had V2H enabled.
This web page will help explain NEM3 and perhaps help with your decision about installing solar

I am starting my 5th year with solar and powerwalls. I use EA mainly on trips and charge my spouse's Tesla, my Lucid and our EZGO golf cart regularly at home. I missed out on the benefit of net metering but still only run about $750-800 a year on electricity. We have a 3000SF home with a garage heatpump, a 5T and 3T HVAC in house. I did receive the 30% tax credit so all is well in my world.
How many kWh did you charge at home?

Back