Solar panel and company recommendations

Drendino

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
DE Number
I’ve been looking into getting a home solar system and found that it is surprisingly difficult to find online recommendations, since Google has a mountain of paid advertisement to get through. I thought I would employ the brain trust here to for recommendations for the most efficient and cost effective systems. Thank you in advance!

Find a local company with good reviews. Try energy sage as that is promoted by the DoE.

Also, start researching panels. Figure out where the best ones are made (last time I looked it was Malaysia) and start comparing efficiency in watt/Sq in.

Find a local company with good reviews. Try energy sage as that is promoted by the DoE.

Also, start researching panels. Figure out where the best ones are made (last time I looked it was Malaysia) and start comparing efficiency in watt/Sq in.
Perfect, will do. Thanks!

Where are you located? If in San Diego, I would Try either Baker electric or Palomar Solar.
I’m in Northern CA. So far @hydbob’s suggestion of getting quotes on Energy Sage has been a home run.

I’m in Northern CA. So far @hydbob’s suggestion of getting quotes on Energy Sage has been a home run.
I also recommend Energy Sage. I highly recommend Cobalt Power. Had a fantastic experience with them.

Stay away from Infinity.

I also recommend Energy Sage. I highly recommend Cobalt Power. Had a fantastic experience with them.

Stay away from Infinity.
Ok!

So far NRG and LA Solar are in the running. Both are half the price of Sun Power.

Anyone have a personal recommendation for home solar panel installations in NJ? I have looked on Energy sage but wondering if any members have had good or bad experiences with companies in NJ. Thanks

For panels, it depends on where you live. Panasonic panel output is ~10%/sq.m lower overall vs Sunpower, but will vary less with high temps, so they may be better in sunbelt states. Conversely, the Maxeon panels from SunPower have the highest overall output per sq.m,, but they lose output as it gets warm out. Those may be better suited to northern latitudes.

Anything over 20% sunlight-to-electrical conversion efficiency is considered good.

This seems obvious, but have you gotten a quote from Tesla? I went through the meat grinder with lots of companies and am happy with one that I found on Energy Sage (thanks @hydbob). However, I decided to try Tesla and they are right there on price, and that includes a couple of Power Walls. I assumed for some reason that they would be too expensive, but they have super efficient 425 watt panels that look really nice also. There is also a little comfort knowing that they will probably be in business for years to come.

Appreciate the info @Drendino and @OCDC. I had looked into this about 5 years ago and had multiple quotes but it didn't seem to make a lot of financial sense as the ROI was over 15 years. The installers said I needed to chop down a bunch of beautiful tall trees that were shading a side portion of my roof. I figured maybe technology and efficiency had improved enough now and was worth another look. I'll look into Tesla and check out the higher efficiency panels. Thanks

Appreciate the info @Drendino and @OCDC. I had looked into this about 5 years ago and had multiple quotes but it didn't seem to make a lot of financial sense as the ROI was over 15 years. The installers said I needed to chop down a bunch of beautiful tall trees that were shading a side portion of my roof. I figured maybe technology and efficiency had improved enough now and was worth another look. I'll look into Tesla and check out the higher efficiency panels. Thanks
I’ll let you know how my quote goes. They just reduced the system size and I need to wait until Friday to find out why. They are incredibly automated but it is hard to get anyone in the phone.

I’ll let you know how my quote goes. They just reduced the system size and I need to wait until Friday to find out why. They are incredibly automated but it is hard to get anyone in the phone.
I didn't go with Tesla because they had bad reviews and if you asked @GEWC Not sure you'd want to go with them either lol

I didn't go with Tesla because they had bad reviews and if you asked @GEWC Not sure you'd want to go with them either lol
Back in 2018 when I was shopping around, I went with the provider I found on Energysage (LASolar). Tesla provided a quote for the same amount *BUT* the other system had a 10kWh LG-Chem battery and the Tesla system did not. The installation for a system with battery is also more complicated since it involves pulling breakers from an existing panel and moving it into a "backup" panel. I also got LA-Solar to install a NEMA14-30 outlet in my garage (had no EV then but I was planning ahead) as part of the same quote.

Back in 2018 when I was shopping around, I went with the provider I found on Energysage (LASolar). Tesla provided a quote for the same amount *BUT* the other system had a 10kWh LG-Chem battery and the Tesla system did not. The installation for a system with battery is also more complicated since it involves pulling breakers from an existing panel and moving it into a "backup" panel. I also got LA-Solar to install a NEMA14-30 outlet in my garage (had no EV then but I was planning ahead) as part of the same quote.
That’s great to hear about LA Solar! Out of the 7 or 8 bids I received, that it the one I planned on going with before I decided to look at Tesla. They have a 450 watt panel, which is as rare as hen’s teeth. They are the only ones who were able to get me to 100% energy coverage because of the panel size and some weird angles and vents I have on my roof. Even Tesla revised their bid today, which I assume will take me below 100%.

LA Solar was not the cheapest, but getting 100% of my energy needs met is important to me. My largest reservations were some of the messed up online reviews that I read and not knowing anyone who used them until now! How has the service been over the years.

How has the service been over the years
I had some initial issues where the SolarEdge inverter needed to be replaced (not LASolar's fault). That was done promptly and I've never had to call them for anything. The only issue was that the installation with battery is more complicated and they had one electrician who was really overworked (this is in the Bay Area). I really hope they have more hands now. A second issue was someone there forgot to pay the interconnect fee and there was a 6 week delay in turning on the system because we were all going around in circles trying to figure out what happened. I wasn't too happy about that but they cut me a check for $250 - I did not ask for it.

Look at this case study I created. There is a lot of useful information if you scroll through the pictures on top.

I have used American Solar for both installation of solar panels and Tesla batteries. I would highly recommend them.
They are based in Sausalito.

I had some initial issues where the SolarEdge inverter needed to be replaced (not LASolar's fault). That was done promptly and I've never had to call them for anything. The only issue was that the installation with battery is more complicated and they had one electrician who was really overworked (this is in the Bay Area). I really hope they have more hands now. A second issue was someone there forgot to pay the interconnect fee and there was a 6 week delay in turning on the system because we were all going around in circles trying to figure out what happened. I wasn't too happy about that but they cut me a check for $250 - I did not ask for it.

Look at this case study I created. There is a lot of useful information if you scroll through the pictures on top.
That’s really awesome, 100% of your energy needs met! It sounds like they delivered what they promised. Thanks for sharing, I’m back on board now.

I have used American Solar for both installation of solar panels and Tesla batteries. I would highly recommend them.
They are based in Sausalito.
And American Solar also installed my 100 Amp home charger for my Tesla a few years back.

That’s really awesome, 100% of your energy needs met! It sounds like they delivered what they promised.
I wasn't going to trust anyone's claims about meeting 100% of my energy needs. I downloaded my detailed electricity usage over the previous three years from PG&E and spent one month analyzing and crunching that data myself. That forced me to understand exactly how NEM (net metering) works. At the end I had a very detailed spreadsheet where I could simulate what happens with different battery sizes, what happens if my solar production goes up/down etc. If CA did not have the SGIP rebate program for the battery, I would have never gotten the battery - it made zero financial sense (power outages are extremely rare for me).

Back