RESOLVED Problems after installing 2.1.52 Update

kristiandg

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Good afternoon, all....

3 days ago, I received my update notification for the 2.1.52 release. In the release notes, one thing that was touted was "And for Lucid Owner's Forum members, we have added WAY more robustness !!". Well, sadly, nope....

While driving to a meeting today, I got a whole list of warnings for various sub-systems that had just gone offline.

I wasn't able to get pics of all of them, but here's what I did capture:
-Drive System Warning
-Rear Emergency Braking Unavailable
-Lane Departure Protection Failure
-Redundant Lighting Fault
-Headlight Control Fault - Headlights On
-Trunk Failure
-Rear Taillight Failure (couldn't get pic)
-Passenger Airbag Status Indicator Fault
-Automatic Emergency Braking Disabled

Now, obviously all those systems didn't just die, nor did they all just suffer some software bug all at once. I've narrowed it down to some sort of communication problem between two different computers or something. Here's my logic and troubleshooting.

When it happened, when I then stopped at my destination. I lost audio on the sound system, and lost all control from the co-pilot panel (no door/trunk/frunk controls, no HVAC controls, no seat/massage controls, no 360 camarea access, etc). I could control HVAC from the fixed dash buttons, but that status change wasn't reflected on the co-pilot screen. I could even change the fan speed from the co-pilot panel, but it visually would jump back to the last setting (because it didn't receive feedback from the system that it successfully made the change, even though it was making the change).

The first thing I attempted was to reboot the UI (the "Air Logo Reset"). It actually had no effect. I left the car and came back (the "sleep" trick). Upon doing so, the Air Logo Reset trick now worked, but only rebooted the right two screens (Infotainment and co-pilot panel), whereas normally all 4 screens would reboot (behavior consistent with the 2 computers that run those not talking with each other. Upon boot up , the left 2 screens (fixed controls and speedometer screen) no longer had my color choice, while the right 2 screens did (further suggesting the left screen control computer wasn't talking to the right screen computer).

Called into Lucid support. About 6 months ago I had an issue with my driver door, and called in to have them do a remote hard reset. I watch them do it - the whole car powered down in front of my eyes while I was on the phone with them. So, when I called in today, I said "I need you to do a remote hard reboot of my car so those systems can start talking again, then you can get whatever logs off of it you want." She proceeded to tell me that they have no ability to do that (which my past experience has already proven otherwise). After disagreeing with that for a minute, I then asked what I should do to reset these systems, and she walked me through a series of steps, half of which were ones I had already tried. She even had me do the "walk away sleep" trick, but she wasn't following what I was describing the problem to be so those weren't going to work.

At one point, we killed bluetooth on my phone so the car wouldn't see my virtual key, and it went to sleep - sort of. Doors locked, mirrors folded in, and the left 2 screens powered off, but the right 2 screens remained active (because their control computer couldn't get the signal to "sleep").

From what I can tell, it's currently suffering from a form of "split brain", where the two parts just aren't aware of each other. I do think a full remote reboot might work-around the issue to at least restore the systems until a patch can be written, but she was adamant they "didn't have the ability to do that", suggesting I could maybe call back and see if someone else had different information on that (which was absurd in my mind). I requested manager escalation so I could work with someone to get that reboot done, because the next option was to wait until Monday for service to get the ticket (which obviously wouldn't be fixed that day).

So, here I am waiting for that supervisor to call me back, and if he can't figure out how the people a few months ago did that reboot, I'll be pulling the offing low-volt batteries to get my reboot.

Software bugs happen, I (being in that industry) get that. But, at least let the people on the support line work from the same set of rules. Don't make the experience inconsistent, and don't ask me to call back in hopes of getting a different answer. That's BS.

If anyone knows any other cold reboot tricks, I'd love to hear them at this point, because I really don't want to have to pull the batteries, but my desperation in at least attempting the "windows fix" will ultimately override my desire if this manager doesn't call me back soon.

Attachments

• IMG_5940.jpeg
    IMG_5940.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5950.jpeg
    IMG_5950.jpeg
    657.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5943.jpeg
    IMG_5943.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5953.jpeg
    IMG_5953.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5949.jpeg
    IMG_5949.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5947.jpeg
    IMG_5947.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5941.jpeg
    IMG_5941.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5942.jpeg
    IMG_5942.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5944.jpeg
    IMG_5944.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5945.jpeg
    IMG_5945.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 50
Good afternoon, all....

3 days ago, I received my update notification for the 2.1.52 release. In the release notes, one thing that was touted was "And for Lucid Owner's Forum members, we have added WAY more robustness !!". Well, sadly, nope....

While driving to a meeting today, I got a whole list of warnings for various sub-systems that had just gone offline.

-Drive System Warning
-Trunk Failure

Now, obviously all those systems didn't just die, nor did they all just suffer some software bug all at once. I've narrowed it down to some sort of communication problem between two different computers or something. Here's my logic and troubleshooting.

When it happened, when I then stopped at my destination. I lost audio on the sound system, and lost all control from the co-pilot panel (no door/trunk/frunk controls, no HVAC controls, no seat/massage controls, no 360 camarea access, etc). I could control HVAC from the fixed dash buttons, but that status change wasn't reflected on the co-pilot screen. I could even change the fan speed from the co-pilot panel, but it visually would jump back to the last setting (because it didn't receive feedback from the system that it successfully made the change, even though it was making the change).

The first thing I attempted was to reboot the UI (the "Air Logo Reset"). It actually had no effect. I left the car and came back (the "sleep" trick). Upon doing so, the Air Logo Reset trick now worked, but only rebooted the right two screens (Infotainment and co-pilot panel), whereas normally all 4 screens would reboot (behavior consistent with the 2 computers that run those not talking with each other. Upon boot up , the left 2 screens (fixed controls and speedometer screen) no longer had my color choice, while the right 2 screens did (further suggesting the left screen control computer wasn't talking to the right screen computer).

Called into Lucid support. About 6 months ago I had an issue with my driver door, and called in to have them do a remote hard reset. I watch them do it - the whole car powered down in front of my eyes while I was on the phone with them. So, when I called in today, I said "I need you to do a remote hard reboot of my car so those systems can start talking again, then you can get whatever logs off of it you want." She proceeded to tell me that they have no ability to do that (which my past experience has already proven otherwise). After disagreeing with that for a minute, I then asked what I should do to reset these systems, and she walked me through a series of steps, half of which were ones I had already tried. She even had me do the "walk away sleep" trick, but she wasn't following what I was describing the problem to be so those weren't going to work.

At one point, we killed bluetooth on my phone so the car wouldn't see my virtual key, and it went to sleep - sort of. Doors locked, mirrors folded in, and the left 2 screens powered off, but the right 2 screens remained active (because their control computer couldn't get the signal to "sleep").

From what I can tell, it's currently suffering from a form of "split brain", where the two parts just aren't aware of each other. I do think a full remote reboot might work-around the issue to at least restore the systems until a patch can be written, but she was adamant they "didn't have the ability to do that", suggesting I could maybe call back and see if someone else had different information on that (which was absurd in my mind). I requested manager escalation so I could work with someone to get that reboot done, because the next option was to wait until Monday for service to get the ticket (which obviously wouldn't be fixed that day).

So, here I am waiting for that supervisor to call me back, and if he can't figure out how the people a few months ago did that reboot, I'll be pulling the offing low-volt batteries to get my reboot.

Software bugs happen, I (being in that industry) get that. But, at least let the people on the support line work from the same set of rules. Don't make the experience inconsistent, and don't ask me to call back in hopes of getting a different answer. That's BS.

If anyone knows any other cold reboot tricks, I'd love to hear them at this point, because I really don't want to have to pull the batteries, but my desperation in at least attempting the "windows fix" will ultimately override my desire if this manager doesn't call me back soon.
These errors are almost always a corrupt update. Ask CS to push it to you again.

Good afternoon, all....

-Drive System Warning
-Trunk Failure

Hi, @kristiandg. I just sent you a direct message.

This is not related to 2.1.52 software update. Pls take your car to service center for further diagnosis.

Actually it was the software update, even the manager that called me felt that was likely the case.

Update: they must have hopped in it this evening, as all systems were restored when I went out tonight. This wasn’t just a function of a long “walk-away” reset, as I had done that earlier this afternoon for 3 hours, so it must have been them working on it from remote, but she’s back - all systems restored.

Actually it was the software update, even the manager that called me felt that was likely the case.

Update: they must have hopped in it this evening, as all systems were restored when I went out tonight. This wasn’t just a function of a long “walk-away” reset, as I had done that earlier this afternoon for 3 hours, so it must have been them working on it from remote, but she’s back - all systems restored.

The manager was likely wrong.

The symptoms you describe sound like what happens when one of the “gateways” in the car has problems. Your trunk and rear tail light failures make me guess it was a rear gateway.

This can happen if a piece of hardware goes bad, a wire somehow gets disconnected, or water gets in somewhere that it shouldn’t. In the case of water, when the water drains out or dries up, everything usually magically starts working again. By any chance do you live somewhere where it’s been raining recently?

If it were me, I would schedule a service appointment and ask them to look at the data from your car for evidence of what I described.

Oh, I was doing that anyway. Hardware or software, I always want an answer to “why”, because if it’s unknown, then it will likely happen again.

Fun issue tonight….

Driving on the freeway tonight (around 65), I had a huge drop in forward thrust and the “Low Power Mode” message came on, limiting my max speed to 52mph.

From my weekend service request, and my escalation tonight, I’m sure I’ll hear from them tomorrow but I’m effectively dead in the water, as low power mode isn’t even fast enough for freeway use.

I’m just thankful it happened AFTER I retired from driving out of town (about 100 miles away).

I have no doubt that Lucid will make it right, but when something like this happens, it can be quite frustrating.

So, an update on this. @GoFast you were dead on. Water got in by the rear bumper and took out one of the hubs/gateways. However, after all those errors cleared (as you said, dried out), Turtle Mode came on. It's been in for service the past 10 days, and I just got it back this afternoon. Sadly, Turtle Mode popped back on, so that must have been an unrelated problem that it'll need to go back (again) for. :(

Back