Bi-directional Charging Install in DFW

LuciPearl

Cars
Air Grand Touring
Has anyone pre-wired their home to handle the Lucid bi-directional charger when it comes out? If yes, which DFW area electrician did you use? My current electrician company indicates they will do not install the 100 amp line needed for bi-directional charging. I am hoping to find someone with experience connecting a bidirectional line to a home solar system with solar battery backup, as well as a very long run (60-70 feet) from the current box to the vehicle. Basically anything that can complicate a job...I've got!

Also, did you go through the Lucid recommended Qmerit process to find the electrician, and how did that work out?

Thank you in advance.

Has anyone pre-wired their home to handle the Lucid bi-directional charger when it comes out? If yes, which DFW area electrician did you use? My current electrician company indicates they will do not install the 100 amp line needed for bi-directional charging. I am hoping to find someone with experience connecting a bidirectional line to a home solar system with solar battery backup, as well as a very long run (60-70 feet) from the current box to the vehicle. Basically anything that can complicate a job...I've got!

Also, did you go through the Lucid recommended Qmerit process to find the electrician, and how did that work out?

Thank you in advance.
I’m in Katy, west side of Houston. My 200 amp circuit breakers box is all full, I need another sub panel. Yes, I did use Qmeric. The process is slow. 13 weeks later I am still waiting for an appointment. Getting this recommended electric company is almost as waiting for another Lucid Air production at the moment. I am also currently evaluating getting getting solar panels. I don’t need too many PowerWall but just 1. Lucid AGT is like 8.5 PowerWalls, so save me $ on multiple PowerWall in case there is another Texas winter storm extended outage. 😂

Thanks for the reply. I may look at some local installers as well. My battery backup is Enphase; they bought Clipper Creek to enter the home charger business. They say (like Lucid) the bi-directional charger standard is all they are waiting on before tweaking (if needed) and selling their bi-directional....and that will compatible with their home batteries. For now I think I will wait and simply use the wall plug in the garage, with the car in the garage 20 hours a day or more that will work until bi-directional is available. EA 350 and 150 is just 20 miles away so that can be the safety net.

Like you, I will need a sub-panel. Stay healthy and stay cool this week.

I hope the install goes smoothly ! Please update us with progress. DFW also here and next year I hope to get my Lucid and install a bi-directional Lucid charger as well!

Dallas here, I recently used these guys https://electricalpanelxperts.com/ to upgrade from 200 amp to 320 amp service (max Oncor would allow) and install 2x SPAN smart panels. I was talking with the owner William, and they are a qmerit partner installer too so they should be able to install the lucid bidirectional wall-box when its available

We used QMerit and had our 220 installed 10 days later (Frisco). Very pleased.

We used QMerit and had our 220 installed 10 days later (Frisco). Very pleased.
10 days is not bad. We here at Houston are in very long wait for QMeric. They are installing record number of chargers in newly built apartments and many public garage and home garage is what I was told. Pipeline is long this year in H-town. There is no used EV cars in 12+ dealerships I checked out past couple weeks either.

I've put the bi-directional install on hold as I will sell the vehicle. As hard as I may try, this 6'4", 290 lb., 68 yo body just doesn't like getting in and out of the Air. My wife cringes everytime I get in or out. I do love the car but don't want to risk a back repetitive stress injury while waiting the 2 years for the Gravity to come out.

On the plus side the Qmerit installer (DFW area) was set to go with a reasonable offer, better than my long term electrician. They did not anticipate any supply change issues so it is likely it could have been installed in a time frame similar to DFWLucidowner.

Dallas here, I recently used these guys https://electricalpanelxperts.com/ to upgrade from 200 amp to 320 amp service (max Oncor would allow) and install 2x SPAN smart panels. I was talking with the owner William, and they are a qmerit partner installer too so they should be able to install the lucid bidirectional wall-box when its available
Is this so you can have Lucid as a backup power source? I thought that tech was still a ways away. That was one of the very important reasons for me to buy Lucid and it’s large battery. Dallas here as well. Usually Dallas is not as advanced as Houston and Austin but the Solar Panels are a hit in this area.

Is this so you can have Lucid as a backup power source? I thought that tech was still a ways away. That was one of the very important reasons for me to buy Lucid and it’s large battery. Dallas here as well. Usually Dallas is not as advanced as Houston and Austin but the Solar Panels are a hit in this area.
Likely for future solar, too. Span panels are awesome, but a big expense, and only support 200amp panels.

Likely for future solar, too. Span panels are awesome, but a big expense, and only support 200amp panels.
Thanks, my panel is only 200 AMPS. Now for the Big expense part would need to be researched.
🤞🤞During the worst of Winter storms both years we never lost power even for a minute and hopefully we will get a one year respite this time.

My panel is basically maxed out so have to do the full upgrade. Ultimately will be worth it to future-proof everything, as we will likely transition to all electric in near future. Supply issues around here are going to hold things up for a while though as well as city permitting office 😒

Thanks, my panel is only 200 AMPS. Now for the Big expense part would need to be researched.
🤞🤞During the worst of Winter storms both years we never lost power even for a minute and hopefully we will get a one year respite this time.
If you only have a 200amp panel, it's not *that* big of an expense. I think it was like 5k last time I looked. The Span panel is useful (energy tracking by breaker, remote breaker on/off, etc.) but not inherently required; that said, if you're already doing a bunch of electrical work, it's worth looking into.

FOR SALE - DFW area, Air GT, 19" wheels, Black with Mojave interior. PPF for all front facing surfaces. Tint added to all glass surfaces, Protective film on Pilot Panel.

At 6'4", 290 lb with back problems this 68yo can't handle the entry and exit without back stress. Send a message if you are interested.

For those talking about SPAN, I recently replaced my single 200 amp panel with 2x 200 amp span panels and service upgrade to 320amp (underground, in north dallas) total price was $17k, it will be significantly cheaper if you are only doing 1 panel or not upgrading incoming service. The only real issue was a delay in getting a new 320 amp meter base, there were months of no supply due to covid supply chain stuff.

span quote.jpg

Yes, I dont think a home battery system makes sense vs a natural gas generator price-wise, but with the lucid i'd have a 113 kwH battery sitting there anyway so why not use it. I did the service upgrade because I needed the power anyway for other stuff.

Last edited:
FOR SALE - DFW area, Air GT, 19" wheels, Black with Mojave interior. PPF for all front facing surfaces. Tint added to all glass surfaces, Protective film on Pilot Panel.

At 6'4", 290 lb with back problems this 68yo can't handle the entry and exit without back stress. Send a message if you are interested.
Might want to post this to the classified section

I talked to many companies when I had a ford lighting on order. After all my research and talking with folks. I would highly recommend that you don't do bi-directional charging yet. This is in WI but the tech is the same nationwide. The labor might be different but for all the stuff you need to do it right it isn't financially feasible yet. The issues i found were several.
1. Bi-Directional charging, $30k total. Gives me 100a charging and powers house when car is home. house loses power for 60-120 seconds. Anything important will need its own battery source to get past this.
2. Permanently installed battery like tesla power wall or competitor. $22k, I would need two for my 400a system. Only down side is price. this is by far the best way to go. you don't even notice a power outage. Data and UI fantastic with Tesla system. Only good long term solution if you have solar. We do.
3. Gas auto generator- $15k, power down for seconds during start up, great long term solution without solar.
4. Portable gas generator with transfer switch. $1k. This is what i have had on my homes for years. I have a generator that sits in an outdoor enclosure next to a big plug on the house. When we have a power outage, i open it, start generator, plug into house. go inside and flip a couple switches on the transfer switch and we are good to go. I keep about 15 gallons of gas around that will run us for about a week. We usually have 2-3 outages a year at most and only one has lasted more than 12 hours. For the money it just wasn't worth it to me. I thought the bi-directional charging would be much easier but the tech is changing fast, most electricians don't know it well and even if they do they can't touch the price of my portable. I do have batteries on a couple critical items like computers and home automation rack but the portable generator is is great for the amount of use we need and the cost trade off.

Back