Scheduled charging unreliable

How does scheduled charging work? When you plug it in, you get a message from the app saying charging scheduled. Is there a message sent to the servers to send out a "wake up" message at the scheduled charging time, much like the app goes through the servers to wake your car up? If that is the case, I can understand how difficulty waking the car from the app can translate to scheduled charging not working ...

How does scheduled charging work? When you plug it in, you get a message from the app saying charging scheduled. Is there a message sent to the servers to send out a "wake up" message at the scheduled charging time, much like the app goes through the servers to wake your car up? If that is the case, I can understand how difficulty waking the car from the app can translate to scheduled charging not working ...
Yes, that is precisely how it works today.

Yes, that is precisely how it works today.
Em you are saying that scheduled charging relies on a server side functionality? I'd call this significant design failure. Even very cheap SoCs can wake up on the integrated RTC timer these days.

Em you are saying that scheduled charging relies on a server side functionality? I'd call this significant design failure. Even very cheap SoCs can wake up on the integrated RTC timer these days.
Sorry, I misread the post slightly. It doesn’t send a server-side wake-up to my knowledge, but I am not 100% certain.

I believe it works just fine with zero cell service, but that should be an easy test in a garage somewhere.

Regardless, however the wakeup functions, if it's not functioning correctly, that could affect scheduled charging.
If I understood properly scheduled charging usually works properly if at the time the car was connected to the EVSE it was ready to charge, and never works if that that time the EVSE was not allowing charge, but switches to allow to change at scheduled change time. If that is true then It doesn't look like the wakeup function doesn't work. It looks more the software issue: when the wakeup is only programmed when connected to the EVSE ready go charge.
If the car would program the wakeup at scheduled charge regardless of the EVSE connection or anything else (pure software change), and wake up on EVSE signals over the control wire that it is ready to charge (may require hardware changes if it is not possible with current wiring), then it should address all issues (including charging from solar panels)

I wouldn't say across the board, Tesla, Ford, GM, Hyundai all seem to have figured it out.
And Nissan. Never have a problem charging the Leaf.

Back