• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Scary highway brake

sicsyman

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Scary highway brake! Just experience this today. This is a traffic, car in front of me start slow down . I travel about 70mph. Lift the throttle slowly, car regen brake, not enough, start apply ME brake. So far is totally normal and under control. If it is a regular car, it would been fine, and no drama. As soon as I touch the Me brake, lucid start accelerate, I have to push hard on brake get to ABS enable. Almost hit the front car. From outside of my car it must be stupid that the guy accelerate when approaching traffic ! Hope there a bug the they can fix!

The brakes made you accelerate?

Yes, no doubt about it. Car jumps a bit at that moment.

Yes, no doubt about it. Car jumps a bit at that moment.
perhaps for a split second it does so when trying to manually hit the brakes to go off autopilot! I wonder if it would be the same if you'f disengaged autopilot / highway assist if you had just hit the cancel button on the steering wheel?

@sicsyman you’re not alone. this is exactly what I experienced and I have posted my experience here. Couple of other forum members have experienced the same and I hope Lucid fixes it soon before someone gets into an accident. I suggest you report this to customer service.

Wow.. sounds like what happened to my daughter in our 2020 Tesla MY .. she said that she went to apply the brake as she entered a traffic circle, but the car didn't slow down.. she continued applying the brakes and her (and her passengers) braced for impact, but according to her the crash avoidance icons came up and stopped the car (w/ a jolt). We had the car taken to Tesla SC, but they never gave us an answer (and couldn't find any issues) .. she also had a high regen turned on .. scary stuff.

That's scary. Had I not experienced a drivetrain bug myself, I would have assumed this was user error in some way. But I totally believe you.

There's a couple of dangerous bugs like this and I really hope they're being worked on. A little acknowledgment or something would go a long way. Especially if they have more information and possible workarounds.

paging @Firstto520 fwiw

Scary highway brake! Just experience this today. This is a traffic, car in front of me start slow down . I travel about 70mph. Lift the throttle slowly, car regen brake, not enough, start apply ME brake. So far is totally normal and under control. If it is a regular car, it would been fine, and no drama. As soon as I touch the Me brake, lucid start accelerate, I have to push hard on brake get to ABS enable. Almost hit the front car. From outside of my car it must be stupid that the guy accelerate when approaching traffic ! Hope there a bug the they can fix!
Yeah what software are you on? There should definitely be no acceleration once mechanical brake is pressed, not good! Were you on adaptive cruise control when you pressed the mechanical brake?

I believe that when you touch the brake pedal, it disables re-gen.

I REALLY doubt that it accelerated; You likely just needed to press the brake pedal harder, since you effectively turned off the re-gen braking force...

I don't think this is true. They're cumulative not exclusive.
Nothing in the manual though and I'm out of town otherwise I'd go try this out right now :)

I REALLY doubt that it accelerated; You likely just needed to press the brake pedal harder, since you effectively turned off the re-gen braking force...
It did lunge forward. I have experienced it myself and it was scary. Regen engages as soon as you lift off the accelerator and in my case I was half pressing the brake when it lunged forward and I had to press harder.

It did lunge forward. I have experienced it myself and it was scary. Regen engages as soon as you lift off the accelerator and in my case I was half pressing the brake when it lunged forward and I had to press harder.
I had something similar happen today. Not sure if the car lunged forward but I had to stand on the brakes to get it to stop.

I had something similar happen today. Not sure if the car lunged forward but I had to stand on the brakes to get it to stop.
"Stand on the breaks" as in put your whole body weight into the pedal? Seems scary, especially if someone cant press hard enough.

"Stand on the breaks" as in put your whole body weight into the pedal? Seems scary, especially if someone cant press hard enough.
Yes!

Not doubting anyone, but especially with one pedal driving 99.99 percent of the time in car data shows the human pressed the wrong pedal.

Not doubting anyone, but especially with one pedal driving 99.99 percent of the time in car data shows the human pressed the wrong pedal.
Nope.

Back