Scraping noise from wheels when hard turn from a stop

AnthonyInCO

Verified Owner
Cars
'23 Air Touring, QGrey
2023 Air Touring with 21" wheels and stock Pirelli ELECT EV tires.

On two occasions, when starting from park, I've put the car into drive and slow accelerated with wheels turned all the way, and have heard a scraping/grinding noise coming from the front tire area. Sounded like a tire scraping against the tire well.

The first time was after getting my driver front tire replaced and so I was in tire shop's parking lot. I stopped and they jacked up the car and they felt all the way around, cranking the wheels to both extremes and they saw nothing - no touching.

Weeks have gone by with no issues and yesterday happened to me again. Was parked, tires were turned sharp to the right, and heard awful scraping sound when creeping forward. I straightened wheels and noise went away and turning again couldn't reproduce the sound.

Anyone ever encounter this? The noise almost sounds like the regen or maybe even the parking brake. I didn't notice if the parking hold light was on, unfortunately. Could it be possible the parking brake wasn't disengaging? Or could regen system make a sound like that?

-Anthony

2023 Air Touring with 21" wheels and stock Pirelli ELECT EV tires.

On two occasions, when starting from park, I've put the car into drive and slow accelerated with wheels turned all the way, and have heard a scraping/grinding noise coming from the front tire area. Sounded like a tire scraping against the tire well.

The first time was after getting my driver front tire replaced and so I was in tire shop's parking lot. I stopped and they jacked up the car and they felt all the way around, cranking the wheels to both extremes and they saw nothing - no touching.

Weeks have gone by with no issues and yesterday happened to me again. Was parked, tires were turned sharp to the right, and heard awful scraping sound when creeping forward. I straightened wheels and noise went away and turning again couldn't reproduce the sound.

Anyone ever encounter this? The noise almost sounds like the regen or maybe even the parking brake. I didn't notice if the parking hold light was on, unfortunately. Could it be possible the parking brake wasn't disengaging? Or could regen system make a sound like that?

-Anthony
Regen is just the electric motor operating as a generator rather than consuming power. You are not hearing regen. I also think it is unlikely that you are hearing a mechanical brake. Could you be hearing some sort of power steering noise?

Just a CYA, but check the torque on your lug nuts. Probably not this, but good to check just in case.

Regen is just the electric motor operating as a generator rather than consuming power. You are not hearing regen. I also think it is unlikely that you are hearing a mechanical brake. Could you be hearing some sort of power steering noise?
I'm familiar with the sound of hydraulic power steering when you crank the wheel to the extremes, and it's definitely not that noise. And I think the Lucid has electronic power steering anyway, which I'm not sure what that would sound like if it's malfunctioning.

I'll have tire shop re-torque the lug nuts - saw somewhere in this forum it should be 150 Nm - because I could imagine the possibility that if some lug nuts are loose, the tire tilts slightly when turned and then touches somewhere. If all good there, I might just give Lucid service a call and see what they think. And next time it happens, I'll be sure to pull out my phone and record the noise!

Any chance there is rust on your rotors? Wet rotors develop rust very quickly, and can make grinding noises during the morning before the first brake application.

Next time, peep at your rotors before taking off, and if you see rust then hear the sound. Also a chance that you might have a rock or pebble that is wedged between the caliper and rotor that works itself loose after taking off.

Back