emergency braking in reverse

chinesejpl

Cars
Air GT
I read the thread on emergency braking for cross traffic but I am exeriencing something different. Periodically, and more so recently, I am experiencing emergency braking when backing into my garage and slowly approaching the shelves in the back. It's quite frustrating as I am backing up very slowly, adjusting my steering carefully to get my car in the right position but it keeps thinking that I am going to collide with my rear shelving so it engages "emergency" braking which is quite annoying. I don't quite understand why emergency braking is engaging when the car is reversing so slowly? I have sensors and cameras already to ensure I am not going to collide with anything. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my car? To make things worse, when I was backing up one time and I went too fast, I hit the corner of my rear bumper on the garage partition and the sensors didn't go off until AFTER I hit it, the camera picture was delayed in showing me the picture and the emergency braking didn't engage! Go figure

I read the thread on emergency braking for cross traffic but I am exeriencing something different. Periodically, and more so recently, I am experiencing emergency braking when backing into my garage and slowly approaching the shelves in the back. It's quite frustrating as I am backing up very slowly, adjusting my steering carefully to get my car in the right position but it keeps thinking that I am going to collide with my rear shelving so it engages "emergency" braking which is quite annoying. I don't quite understand why emergency braking is engaging when the car is reversing so slowly? I have sensors and cameras already to ensure I am not going to collide with anything. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my car? To make things worse, when I was backing up one time and I went too fast, I hit the corner of my rear bumper on the garage partition and the sensors didn't go off until AFTER I hit it, the camera picture was delayed in showing me the picture and the emergency braking didn't engage! Go figure
On your second point, because you were so close when you started the sensors probably didn't have time to respond.

But your main problem is a problem across the auto landscape for cars with ADAS systems. I am not talking about phantom braking; I am talking about the car recognizing a risk and acting to mitigate it even though you are already in total command of the risk. For example, I live on the west side of a street. Sometimes I back out of my driveway into the southbound lane to go south; if a car is driving nearby on the northbound lane, which I am not going into, my car's ADAS system still stops my car. This is not only annoying but potentially dangerous but I think it is a universal problem.

Yup. This happens pretty frequently when I'm perpendicular parking when there is a car waiting for me, and they move while I'm in the process. It's annoying and embarrassing at the same time, but I would rather have then not have this safety feature. Maybe they'll improve the range and situation sensitivity with an update in the future with the data we're sending.

This did not happen with my previous model X or Porsche cayenne nor does it happen with my current eqs SUV. This is unique to my lucid...at least my particular circumstance with backing into garage rather than cross traffic so I don't believe this is a universal adas issue.

This did not happen with my previous model X or Porsche cayenne nor does it happen with my current eqs SUV. This is unique to my lucid...at least my particular circumstance with backing into garage rather than cross traffic so I don't believe this is a universal adas issue.
I have the same issue and just learnt to live with it. Never happened in any of my previous cars but for some reason the Lucid is extra sensitive even when I’ve got minimum 10 inches of clearance around the entire car if still anchors on the breaks and squeals.

You can turn off the automatic rear braking collision avoidance, but it will not alert either. I’ve been asking Lucid for a year to make it warning only, intervention or both, as my car will violently slam on the brakes when backing out of my driveway
….and the new OTA gave us the alert only option for Lane Keep Assist but not cross traffic protection. I guess my request is in Lucid’s thoughts and prayers. ☹️

I have a few cars with this feature and they all perform the same, some are even worse and brake randomly to the point I have to turn it off and turn it back on later. I have this feature on as I would rather be inconvenienced than hit or run over someone. We are sometimes so used to reversing in familiar place that we overlook stuff or things that don't show up on cameras

You can turn off the automatic rear braking collision avoidance, but it will not alert either. I’ve been asking Lucid for a year to make it warning only, intervention or both, as my car will violently slam on the brakes when backing out of my driveway
….and the new OTA gave us the alert only option for Lane Keep Assist but not cross traffic protection. I guess my request is in Lucid’s thoughts and prayers. ☹️
Yeah this is somewhat embarrassing when it randomly brakes hard and your neighbors across the street look at you as if you're crazy.

I experienced this yesterday when backing out of my parking spot at work. While in reverse, the Auto Brake would appear on the Surround View of the Pilot Panel and it would stop every 1 to 2 feet. It did this about 3 times before I just turned the steering wheel and drove forward. It was raining so I suspect it had to do with droplets on the reverse cam or sensors.

I experienced this yesterday when backing out of my parking spot at work. While in reverse, the Auto Brake would appear on the Surround View of the Pilot Panel and it would stop every 1 to 2 feet. It did this about 3 times before I just turned the steering wheel and drove forward. It was raining so I suspect it had to do with droplets on the reverse cam or sensors.
Drive slower - about 2-3mph.

Yeah it’s a little too sensitive, when backing out I’ve applied the @borski method of backing out very slowly and it seems less likely to trigger. I’ve had a couple phantom brakes in reverse with a rain droplet triggering it, but most of the time it’s accurate, I just think it’s too sensitive.

Yeah it’s a little too sensitive, when backing out I’ve applied the @borski method of backing out very slowly and it seems less likely to trigger. I’ve had a couple phantom brakes in reverse with a rain droplet triggering it, but most of the time it’s accurate, I just think it’s too sensitive.
Agree. Mine slammed on the brakes backing out of the garage in the rain recently.

Agree. Mine slammed on the brakes backing out of the garage in the rain recently.
To be clear: it does this to me too - the 2-3mph in reverse is a workaround, not a solution.

You were fortunate. As cars have moved further along the automation trail, they are probably making the sensors quicker to respond to perceived risks. Based on your posts, you have both a Lucid and an EQS SUV. Perhaps the difference is which spot in the garage you park in. I would be curious if you swapped sides between the Lucid and the EQS would the EQS still avoid the emergency braking?

You were fortunate. As cars have moved further along the automation trail, they are probably making the sensors quicker to respond to perceived risks. Based on your posts, you have both a Lucid and an EQS SUV. Perhaps the difference is which spot in the garage you park in. I would be curious if you swapped sides between the Lucid and the EQS would the EQS still avoid the emergency braking?
That could well be. My i4 often slams on the brakes in good weather when backing out. It doesn’t want me to ‘hit’ the speed bump warning markers painted on the road surface. You can imagine the considerable damage that would occur if I actually rode over those painted markings. ;)

My Lucid seems to be totally unfazed by the presence of these lines as I back out, but the angle of departure is different on the other side of the garage. Switching the cars would make for an interesting experiment on a day filled with boredom.

I've had my asp saved by these emergency braking systems enough times I will put up with the annoyances.
My aging neck and the thick roof pillars = very thankful for the excellent cameras and safety systems.

Yeah, the rear auto-braking may have saved me from a parking lot scrape a couple days ago. I think I could have stopped in time but the car's aggressive intervention made sure, I just do wish it had "alert only" as an option. Incidentally in the other thread that was locked where someone reported the car drove in reverse into a parked car and then a house in spite of the brake pedal being depressed, and it made me curious how this could happen, so I did an experiment to see how the car operates with brakes/accelerator reverse/forward.

The car cannot be shifted into D or R when you first get in until you apply the brakes. Once you have applied the brakes and shifted into D or R you can then shift back and forth between D and R without applying the brakes. If you are in brake hold mode or roll mode, and you apply the brakes, the accelerator pedal will not move the car whether you are in D or R. Even if the brakes are not fully depressed. Unless the brakes completely mechanically failed entirely, the accelerator pedal will not move the car, nor will the car move on its own. If you are in roll/creep mode with your foot on the accelerator, even gentle application of the brake pedal like depressing it 25% will cut the accelerator.

That could well be. My i4 often slams on the brakes in good weather when backing out. It doesn’t want me to ‘hit’ the speed bump warning markers painted on the road surface. You can imagine the considerable damage that would occur if I actually rode over those painted markings. ;)

My Lucid seems to be totally unfazed by the presence of these lines as I back out, but the angle of departure is different on the other side of the garage. Switching the cars would make for an interesting experiment on a day filled with boredom.
The other variable I can think of is the height of the vehicles. As one can see from another post here, the Lucid is way lower than an SUV. So the sensors on the Lucid are at a very different height than on an SUV and the vehicles cited by the OP were all SUVs.

I think the one room for improvement here with control of vehicle movement to prevent collisions is that for those who prefer roll/creep instead of brake hold mode, the car will roll in the direction of an incline regardless of whether it is in drive or reverse, much like a manual transmission vehicle. This will happen even on a very very slight incline and you can easily roll into a parked car in a non-level parking lot if your foot is not on the brake, which can easily surprise just about any driver. For comparison, my wife hates one pedal driving in her Volvo EV, so she’s always in roll mode without brake hold and uses friction brakes exclusively. If the car is parked on an incline and shifted into drive, it will not roll backwards, or if it’s parked on a downhill slope and the car is shifted in reverse the car will not roll forwards. I think it’s worth it for Lucid to modify how the car behaves in roll/creep so that the vehicle doesn’t move in the opposite direction of the selected gear.

Notice how I said all those things without mentioning lawyers or class action suits or criticizing anyone at Lucid Motors? It’s easy, and I hope more on here consider trying that approach.

Back