Scary highway brake

This happened to me in my Pure the other day.

Tried allowing my regenerative braking to slow me down, but wasn't slowing fast enough. Collision detection kicked in and alerted to brake. Pressed on brakes, and it slowed down to a set speed but wouldn't slow down any further. Lucid Stability Control light turned on solid and stayed on for a couple minutes and went away. I had to let go of my brakes and allow regenerative braking to kick in again in order to slow down to a stop. From that perspective, it felt like pressing on the brakes was making me move faster than letting go of brakes and allowing regen braking.
This does seem a bit different to what everybody else reports. Is there another issue?

The lurch you feel is deceleration, your speedometer doesn’t increase. The brake blending has a dip in it when it switches from regen to friction and then from friction to ABS. It’s telling that that yes it scared some people and yet no one has had a collision, in spite of waiting just a little too long for the car to stop itself rather than for you to stop the car. The car has in fact saved me from rear ending someone who stopped abruptly in front of me and another time when I was spaced out and wasn’t slowing fast enough. Both times the friction/ABS combo stopped with more room than I expected. Yeah it feels scary, different from ICE car, but it certainly works.

The lurch you feel is deceleration, your speedometer doesn’t increase. The brake blending has a dip in it when it switches from regen to friction and then from friction to ABS. It’s telling that that yes it scared some people and yet no one has had a collision, in spite of waiting just a little too long for the car to stop itself rather than for you to stop the car. The car has in fact saved me from rear ending someone who stopped abruptly in front of me and another time when I was spaced out and wasn’t slowing fast enough. Both times the friction/ABS combo stopped with more room than I expected. Yeah it feels scary, different from ICE car, but it certainly works.

I was going to say the same thing. After reading about other people’s experience with this for weeks, the other day it finally happened to me. Someone just ahead of me hit their brakes hard unexpectedly, and I heard the collision warning tone. So I hit the brakes hard myself, and it definitely felt weird. But I agree with Bunny; it’s not a lurch forward or acceleration. It’s just a very brief decrease in deceleration that makes you think the car doesn’t want to fully brake. But I kept my foot down, and sure enough, the car stopped in plenty of time. Scary as all get out, but I’m not sure it’s not “working as designed.” I do think it’s the ABS taking over that gives it that odd feeling. I’ve felt some odd sensations when driving on ice a few times as well, and my first thought there was also “ABS taking over.”

Worth reporting to Customer Care, as you never know for sure if this is intentional behavior or not. But it is telling that so far, everyone here has actually been able to stop the car.

Back