Sapphire in September

How much does the glass roof weigh? I don't understand how some weight can make such a difference. The motors weigh 160lbs with everything at a weight reduction of 1/3 to competitors: https://www.wardsauto.com/2022-10-best-engines-propulsion-systems/lucid-air-monstrous-lightweight

Does 50+ pounds really make a difference per motor? 3 x motors is 150lbs. The window is how much: 50-60? I don't know the weight. What I'm really trying to get at is you could put an adult in the passenger seat to cancel out the weight savings, particularly the heftier American body. So how much does the difference actually matter?

I've also seen people note a difference in rim weight being noticeable. Haven't had the chance to experience anything of the sort, so I was hoping for insight from those experienced on the actual difference in drive from the weight difference, particularly in a 5,200lb car.
Rim weight is a different. It's considered unsprung weight and is not supported by the suspension. Everything supported by the suspension is considered sprung weight.

No doubt the glass is heavier. But I bet it's also significantly more expensive. I'm going to go with the two birds one stone theory. Say it's for weight, but really save money.

My opinion is that lucid could sell more sapphires if they made enough visual changes for it to be obviously noticeable. I'm not embarrassed to say this but I buy cars not only based on performance, ride, etc but also largely on looks and if I'm going to pay significantly more for a model, I want it to look significantly different inside and out from the "standard" models as well as have better performance. Look at AMG, BMW M, Audi RS, etc. I often want the performance versions less so for the actual useable performance than for a particular look (and sound in ICE cars). Yes I know companies like vw with their golf R doesn't do this but just about every company selling cars at lucid's price does this with their special edition cars. The sapphire looks a bit different but, to me, not drastic enough... Maybe it needs a roof scoop, lol

Attachments

• 01image_dsc_8408.jpg
    01image_dsc_8408.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 78
My opinion is that lucid could sell more sapphires if they made enough visual changes for it to be obviously noticeable. I'm not embarrassed to say this but I buy cars not only based on performance, ride, etc but also largely on looks and if I'm going to pay significantly more for a model, I want it to look significantly different inside and out from the "standard" models as well as have better performance. Look at AMG, BMW M, Audi RS, etc. I often want the performance versions less so for the actual useable performance than for a particular look (and sound in ICE cars). Yes I know companies like vw with their golf R doesn't do this but just about every company selling cars at lucid's price does this with their special edition cars. The sapphire looks a bit different but, to me, not drastic enough... Maybe it needs a roof scoop, lol
Don't forget, Lucid also has to appeal to range with drag CD. Lucid, please make a coupe and go wild on it!

Don't forget, Lucid also has to appeal to range with drag CD. Lucid, please make a coupe and go wild on it!
I think that was kind of the point.
Sapphire coupe version, and roadster type cars can easily be even lower CD because they're usually even shorter to the ground, more sporty so it can be less functional and the looks can be altered a bit too.

Perfect example is the non existent Tesla Roadster.
The normal Tesla's are hideous (imo) but the Roadster actually looks very good.

I think that was kind of the point.
Sapphire coupe version, and roadster type cars can easily be even lower CD because they're usually even shorter to the ground, more sporty so it can be less functional and the looks can be altered a bit too.

Perfect example is the non existent Tesla Roadster.
The normal Tesla's are hideous (imo) but the Roadster actually looks very good.
I dont really think lucid is too focused on making a roadster now.. which is a shame.

I dont really think lucid is too focused on making a roadster now.. which is a shame.
We don't know if they do, or they don't.
Hopefully, they do.
Right now, let them focus (full time) on the Gravity and it's variants.

We don't know if they do, or they don't.
Hopefully, they do.
Right now, let them focus (full time) on the Gravity and it's variants.
This will be most important for the companys survival, so I agree. By 2030 though I would love a roadster.
And by then i'll be old enough to buy it!

"By 2030 though I would love a roadster".
You sob, I envy you. I'm 64 now, you are a kid. By that time, 2030, i only wish I'd be still alive, especially driving a "widow maker", the Sapphire daily.

"By 2030 though I would love a roadster".
You sob, I envy you. I'm 64 now, you are a kid. By that time, 2030, i only wish I'd be still alive, especially driving a "widow maker", the Sapphire daily.
Believe me, nothing will EVER live up to the widow maker name as much as the OG 911 turbo. That thing was terrifying even with its stovetop rear wing.
And in that case, lets hope that the roadster comes by faster so that we can all enjoy it! I am just dreaming about the wonderful packaging that could finally make a coupe a viable 2+2! Even now I seem old, and thats funny mainly because im still in high school!

Polestar 6, fisker ronin are confirmed convertibles.
Thanks, I put my name on build waitlist for the Polestar 6. We’ll see if it ever gets produced. As much as I (and several of my friends) want a high end EV convertible, the market just doesn’t seem big enough. Ergo Elon’s long ago promise.

I'm also wondering how many potential buyers are really considering this car for the purpose of tracking it. I got an uneasy feeling from the email that they are struggling to get orders for the car.
Other than for bragging rights, why would someone buy a car with this much HP unless the individual wanted to track it?

Other than for bragging rights, why would someone buy a car with this much HP unless the individual wanted to track it?

Bragging rights probably account for more high-end auto sales than any other factor.

There is another reason, though, why I would find a tri-motor Air with less of the Sapphire track vibe appealing. Our Tesla Model S P90D offered all the acceleration off the line I could ever use on public roads. So moving up to a Plaid brought nothing to that dance (and actually brought some risk, as the front end gets dangerously unsettled under hard acceleration). However, I did find the Plaid responded noticeably more quickly from speed where tire traction was less a factor.

Although the Air Dream has more power than the Plaid and responds very well from speed, the move from a dual-motor to a tri-motor Tesla taught me that there is still something to be gained in making cars like these dance more lightly in going to three motors, even on public roads where traffic conditions allow.

As I've said before, the Dream seems to defy the laws of inertia. The Plaid seems to repeal them. I think it would be the same with the Sapphire.

A rhetorical question I presume. Why do any of us need the performance of any of the Lucid models? Why not get a Prius if it were as luxurious, spacious, and handled similarly?

This car is on my list. Do I ever plan to track it or even my GT? Eh, probably not. I will take it through Trail of the Dragon and other mountain, twisty roads with vigor and enthusiasm. Given the space and chance, I have and would certainly floor it to feel the acceleration of the car.

People get these types of cars because they want the best. Sometimes that can be for bragging rights. Sometimes that can be to simply enjoy glimpses of the fully capability during normal driving.

A rhetorical question I presume. Why do any of us need the performance of any of the Lucid models? Why not get a Prius if it were as luxurious, spacious, and handled similarly?

This car is on my list. Do I ever plan to track it or even my GT? Eh, probably not. I will take it through Trail of the Dragon and other mountain, twisty roads with vigor and enthusiasm. Given the space and chance, I have and would certainly floor it to feel the acceleration of the car.

People get these types of cars because they want the best. Sometimes that can be for bragging rights. Sometimes that can be to simply enjoy glimpses of the fully capability during normal driving.
The Prius, at least the original Prius, was a dog. Somewhere between an original Prius and a Saphire is a sweet spot for non track driving. My personal sweet spot is based on how the vehicle will do when driving 65 mph on a 2 lane country road and see a car pulling a trailer up a steep hill ahead that has a passing lane. I want to be able to step on the accelerator and get by that vehicle before the hill/passing lane ends. And, yes, this is a real scenario for the drive to or from a spectacular golf course I like to play (Quntero).

Depending upon the weight of the car, high 400s through 500s will comfortably do that.

But, ultimately, different strokes for different folks. So go for it!

The Prius, at least the original Prius, was a dog. Somewhere between an original Prius and a Saphire is a sweet spot for non track driving. My personal sweet spot is based on how the vehicle will do when driving 65 mph on a 2 lane country road and see a car pulling a trailer up a steep hill ahead that has a passing lane. I want to be able to step on the accelerator and get by that vehicle before the hill/passing lane ends. And, yes, this is a real scenario for the drive to or from a spectacular golf course I like to play (Quntero).

Depending upon the weight of the car, high 400s through 500s will comfortably do that.

But, ultimately, different strokes for different folks. So go for it!
That's the essence of it. Enjoying the drive. I would be interested in a lower horsepower version of the Lucid with the same 500+ mile range. Give it a 0-60 time in the 8 second realm maybe.

That would be the complete opposite of the Sapphire though. More or less, I wonder what they could take from the technology in the Sapphire to flip it on its head for a super long range, lightweight vehicle if horsepower is a limiting factor in the equation.

That's the essence of it. Enjoying the drive. I would be interested in a lower horsepower version of the Lucid with the same 500+ mile range. Give it a 0-60 time in the 8 second realm maybe.

That would be the complete opposite of the Sapphire though. More or less, I wonder what they could take from the technology in the Sapphire to flip it on its head for a super long range, lightweight vehicle if horsepower is a limiting factor in the equation.
What you are looking for is an electric version of the Toyota 86 -- a relatively slow vehicle that is designed for the twisties with a big battery. While it is a unicorn now, eventually your car will exist.

I think many EV manufactures put too much emphasis on 0-60 times for bragging rights. I enjoy the occasional vomit inducing speed thrill but wouldn’t it be nice to have a lighter car with less brisk acceleration and more range? Since I am not an automobile engineer , and have no idea what I am talking about , my opinion is irrelevant. It is probably not a feat easily achieved given today’s battery chemistry.

I think many EV manufactures put too much emphasis on 0-60 times for bragging rights. I enjoy the occasional vomit inducing speed thrill but wouldn’t it be nice to have a lighter car with less brisk acceleration and more range? Since I am not an automobile engineer , and have no idea what I am talking about , my opinion is irrelevant. It is probably not a feat easily achieved given today’s battery chemistry.
I think the problem may be the high end speed. EVs tend to lose power at the top end so while it would certainly be possible, the car might not be satisfactory on highways and other higher speed roads. The 0-60 may just be a by product.

But I completely agree with you about the meaningless 0-60 times. I ignore them myself.

Why Sapphire?
Quite few members here got it right.
My list in no particular order:
Bragging rights? - check
Performance? - check
Exclusivity? - check
Tracking? - check
Me feeling great? - check
My wife's approval factor? - not checked.

Back