Rivian reports production of 2k+ and deliveries of over 1k+ in Q1

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems too low to hit 12k target this year.
Based on the production acceleration, or lack of, I would be VERY surprised if Lucid hit the low end of their revised target this year. Based of their ability to currently provide VINs and the lead time from VIN to delivery, they will not likely even reach 1000 cars delivered by the end of Q2. That means the plant will need to be humming at close to their maximum capacity in the second half of the year to hit even the lower revised targets.

It does look like more cars are coming off the production line quicker so here's hoping they speed it up. It's not going to look good to slash your forecast from 25,000 to 12,000 to 16,000 and then not be able to deliver on that. When they forecasted the revised numbers they knew of the supply chain constraints but it does seem the Rivian has gotten off to a better start in ramping up than Lucid.

It does look like more cars are coming off the production line quicker so here's hoping they speed it up. It's not going to look good to slash your forecast from 25,000 to 12,000 to 16,000 and then not be able to deliver on that. When they forecasted the revised numbers they knew of the supply chain constraints but it does seem the Rivian has gotten off to a better start in ramping up than Lucid.
Well, it is a now a 7-month delivery timeline from order confirmation, up from 2-4 months. Going the wrong direction if they are trying to deliver more cars.

Well, it is a now a 7-month delivery timeline from order confirmation, up from 2-4 months. Going the wrong direction if they are trying to deliver more cars.
But that's only on certain specs though right? If you stay away from Grey, Silver and Santa Cruz it looks like confirmations are moving forward quicker than what they were. They should put the delays on the configurator so when you're spec'ing your car you know depending on what option you choose you could get it sooner or later

But that's only on certain specs though right? If you stay away from Grey, Silver and Santa Cruz it looks like confirmations are moving forward quicker than what they were. They should put the delays on the configurator so when you're spec'ing your car you know depending on what option you choose you could get it sooner or later
They appear to be moving faster precisely because they are not producing Grey or silver. But they are soon heading for a brick wall as all they will have left in GTs will be Grey and silver. They are doing the easy ones and leaving the problems for later. Then when all you have are problems, the ramp-up will be ramping down. Again, I’ll lay down a wager that the downward revised numbers are NOT met.

They appear to be moving faster precisely because they are not producing Grey or silver. But they are soon heading for a brick wall as all they will have left in GTs will be Grey and silver. They are doing the easy ones and leaving the problems for later. Then when all you have are problems, the ramp-up will be ramping down. Again, I’ll lay down a wager that the downward revised numbers are NOT met.
Based on world supply issues, all OEM’s will struggle to hit their production targets this year. Lucid is no different.

Based on world supply issues, all OEM’s will struggle to hit their production targets this year. Lucid is no different.
Their issues are not supply chain driven. It’s “user error.” Their issues are because they cannot mix the paint correctly at the factory so that the different parts of the car will match.

Their issues are not supply chain driven. It’s “user error.” Their issues are because they cannot mix the paint correctly at the factory so that the different parts of the car will match.
If it’s not 1 thing, it’s another. I’m a dealer of several traditional OEM’s with access to behind the scene manufacturing issues. I can attest, much, if not all, of these delays can be tied to global supply chain constraints! It can be as simple as not being able to get the correct chemicals for the paint from (fill in the blank) or even simple things tied up at some random port. It will always be something for the foreseeable future

I would bet many many dollars that it isn’t an issue of “some employee got high and doesn’t know how to mix paint correctly.” That is an extreme oversimplification of what is almost certainly a much more complex problem, likely involving having to find new suppliers to supply paint and/or chemicals to Lucid’s exacting standards because the original suppliers either weren’t good enough or cannot produce enough or both, which are: supply chain constraints.

I suspect my scenario is much more likely than “they just don’t know how to mix paint.” :)

I would bet many many dollars that it isn’t an issue of “some employee got high and doesn’t know how to mix paint correctly.” That is an extreme oversimplification of what is almost certainly a much more complex problem, likely involving having to find new suppliers to supply paint and/or chemicals to Lucid’s exacting standards because the original suppliers either weren’t good enough or cannot produce enough or both, which are: supply chain constraints.

I suspect my scenario is much more likely than “they just don’t know how to mix paint.” :)
Maybe. Was originally told at the studio that they rejected a batch of paint because it didn’t meet their specs and that was what was causing the delay. That was my conversation at a studio a few days ago. HOWEVER, that is not what was described to me on the phone today. My DA went into detail about working on paint “harmony” (as described by other posters as to what the issue was) so that the different parts of the car are matching the color. There was nothing about this batch vs that batch or changing suppliers which would make sense from a supply chain issue, but the conversation steered towards a factory issue. In other words it really boils down to the simplified version of the factory learning how to mix paint.

Maybe. Was originally told at the studio that they rejected a batch of paint because it didn’t meet their specs and that was what was causing the delay. That was my conversation at a studio a few days ago. HOWEVER, that is not what was described to me on the phone today. My DA went into detail about working on paint “harmony” (as described by other posters as to what the issue was) so that the different parts of the car are matching the color. There was nothing about this batch vs that batch or changing suppliers which would make sense from a supply chain issue, but the conversation steered towards a factory issue. In other words it really boils down to the simplified version of the factory learning how to mix paint.

We’re all speculating, at the end of the day. I just find it very very hard to assume stupidity (given how good the other paint is on all the vehicles, including the red which is very difficult to get right with the tinted clear coat) when Occam’s Razor leads toward “shit sucks right now for everyone, and finding reliable suppliers is hard.”

It’s not like Teslas aren’t being delivered without USB ports or brake pads, or EV Hummers don’t have a 24 month wait to begin with, and both are being produced in a factory that is already up and running.

Everything car-related sucks right now. I’m about to sell my VERY used Kia for a hell of a lot more than it’s worth, and that isn’t an accident, heh.

I’m about to sell my VERY used Kia for a hell of a lot more than it’s worth,
Exactly! I just got out of my lease with 10 months to go no questions asked. They took the car and waived all remaining payments and fees.

I think it is important to note for anyone reading that these comments are pure speculation. The real reason for the delay is not known and YMMV.

Was originally told at the studio that they rejected a batch of paint because it didn’t meet their specs and that was what was causing the delay.
You have to remember they also said only 300 Dream cars were delivered, too. It seems there is a delay in communication throughout the company where some people know more than others.

...In other words it really boils down to the simplified version of the factory learning how to mix paint.
Paint is mixed by the paint supplier(s). Likely they have at least two formulations for covering plastic parts vs metal.

Paint is mixed by the paint supplier(s). Likely they have at least two formulations for covering plastic parts vs metal.
That would be a rejected batch issue and would make perfect sense in causing the delay. My conversation this morning said it wasn’t that but rather “harmonizing” the pieces, e.g, the door being the same color as the body. So it sounds more like a factory f*** up in that they cannot paint the car correctly. Par for the course since @Pete44 said he cannot take delivery because they installed the door and seats in different interiors. Quite frankly, perhaps they need a little drug and alcohol testing at the plant site ;)

No, Automotive paint is not mixed by the supplier. Right before application the color is blended with the carrier, UV package and a particular hardener package is added depending on the locations current humidity and temperatures. The process is very complicated.

No, Automotive paint is not mixed by the supplier. Right before application the color is blended with the carrier, UV package and a particular hardener package is added depending on the locations current humidity and temperatures. The process is very complicated.
Obviously it’s complicated it takes them months for every new color. First the red, now the Grey and they haven’t even started on the silver. Heard though the grapevine silver may be pushed until 2023

I have stated this before elsewhere and @Sandvinsd is correct if what my DA and his boss told me holds true. The Harmonization Process has taken longer and has been more difficult than they anticipated. The process can be very complex and can be impacted by various environmental factors as well as curing differences, etc. I can understand that it is a complex process and yes, it does come down to matching paint. It sounds like it should be simple, but it isn’t. That being said, it should not take as long as it has. According to my DA and his boss, it has nothing to do with a bad batch of paint or any type of supply issues. It is all about the Harmony Process.

Red was a late edition to the DE offering so it makes sense it ended up at the tail end of the DE’s. The grey delay is certainly something Lucid is not happy with, but I would have thought it was something they would have figured out by now. Grey has been an option for over a year. One would have thought they might have started working on this a long time ago, especially if they ran into some of the same issues with red, but we really do not know that for sure.

Bottom line, it’s a complicated process. It should not have been a surprise to Lucid. People have been painting cars different colors for decades. I think they took it for granted and thought it wouldn‘t be an issue. I am sure they wish they had started the process earlier, but they did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back