[RESOLVED] Yikes! at 107 Miles and now - what seems like a significant system meltdown on my new Air.

Would it be possible from the technical standpoint for the car to give an alert that the software needs to be updated prior to driving?
I mean I'd rather have the car takes itself out of commission and updates itself while in my garage than on the road
What do you mean? It sends you a push notification and shows an alert on the settings panel in the car whenever an update is available.

What do you mean? It sends you a push notification and shows an alert on the settings panel in the car whenever an update is available.
If I read the posts from @Jordan correctly, the problems described were attributed to the car not being able to successfully complete the update.
Am I off base?
P.S.
I'm supposed to take delivery tomorrow. So this is the last chance to back out :)

If I read the posts from @Jordan correctly, the problems described were attributed to the car not being able to successfully complete the update.
Am I off base?
P.S.
I'm supposed to take delivery tomorrow. So this is the last chance to back out :)
That is my impression, and also first hand experience with one of the updates, 2.0.15. Not the same errors, but quite a few =)

Am I off base?
P.S.

Congrats on the delivery!!

... They diagnosed the problem; it seems like the update failed partially through the process, perhaps because of the location of my garage (I live in a condo, and my garage is underground, and we don't have wifi down there); often, no cell service. ...
That is a great description of a failure of basics for updating software... it is really quite old hat (basic OTA update 101) to have something (as simple as a parts list and check sum(s)) on an update to insure that it all has arrived in one piece. That this software system can "update" with a damaged update in hand is appalling (and scary AF). Poor cell service is a given in the world, it is not an excuse for a failed update.... rather it is a description of a failure of basics.

So, what did service tell you about what development is going to change to insure that this never occurs to another customer again?

I would not call this "resolved". A customer with a set of symptoms of the root cause has had those symptoms addressed, but the root problem still exists... waiting to snare another customer.

That is a great description of a failure of basics for updating software... it is really quite old hat (basic OTA update 101) to have something (as simple as a parts list and check sum(s)) on an update to insure that it all has arrived in one piece. That this software system can "update" with a damaged update in hand is appalling (and scary AF).
The system could well have downloaded and checksummed everything, but some other factor prevented a successful update. I wonder if there is a checkpointing process involved so the car could revert to "last known good".

The system could well have downloaded and checksummed everything, but some other factor prevented a successful update. I wonder if there is a checkpointing process involved so the car could revert to "last known good".
Beat me to responding the same. Under specific circumstances (which I have no idea what they are), it does appear the system is capable of reverting. @Alex reported a long time ago that an update failed, car would not respond and an hour (maybe more) later, the software showed it was back to previous level and car was working again. Given the scenario @Jordan reported and that it might have happened to @hydbob too, Lucid will need to build a check routine for left/right synchronicity.

If it was validating the update before attempting to apply it then the description of this failed update would not have been as written... whatever the technology is to validate the update before application, the problem write up indicates that the update failed due to the update having been corrupted in some manner. This is "not good".

If it was validating the update before attempting to apply it then the description of this failed update would not have been as written... whatever the technology is to validate the update before application, the problem write up indicates that the update failed due to the update having been corrupted in some manner. This is "not good".
I agree this is not an optimal situation. We all know the software architecture was more than problematic at launch. And then the immediate priority was to get 2.0 out the door.

I suspect Lucid is aware of its remaining shortcomings and is working to fix them as soon as possible. It’s likely still a long list.

We're all just guessing from what was a recounting of what a tech explained to a customer in condensed form and the customer paraphrasing it back to us. We don't know if the update has separate left/right modules or 1 module is applied to both. From a fix perspective, I am not going to assume I can just apply whatever patches were in the current update. I am going to install the entire module(s) in question from my source library to be safe. We can guess all we want (which a lot of us like doing) but without talking to the engineering team, we don't know.

I just finished a series of conversations with John, the manager of the Scottsdale service center. A first rate employee for Lucid. remarkable attention to detail and spends time explaining stuff and makes sure everything is as expected. I had a software related change to function that resulted in a tow; discussed elsewhere. He did describe that the software updates require a data transmission from the engineers to a server that is then devoted to sending the latest to all of us. Electrical hiccups can cause incoming data transmission to be corrupted and a mess for the recipient. In anticipation of my delivery, I had the Wifi in my garage reworked to make sure it was strong and capable of data transmission in the best manner. It strikes me that if you have a weak in and out signal, you are asking for bad files at times. Make sure you can receive data in the best possible manner and avoid the mess that can follow.

I just finished a series of conversations with John, the manager of the Scottsdale service center. A first rate employee for Lucid. remarkable attention to detail and spends time explaining stuff and makes sure everything is as expected. I had a software related change to function that resulted in a tow; discussed elsewhere. He did describe that the software updates require a data transmission from the engineers to a server that is then devoted to sending the latest to all of us. Electrical hiccups can cause incoming data transmission to be corrupted and a mess for the recipient. In anticipation of my delivery, I had the Wifi in my garage reworked to make sure it was strong and capable of data transmission in the best manner. It strikes me that if you have a weak in and out signal, you are asking for bad files at times. Make sure you can receive data in the best possible manner and avoid the mess that can follow.
That's not how cell or wifi communications work. While you can build an unreliable data channel, you would have to work harder at doing so than you do to use the reliable data channel option that exists (and we have been told that the car is based upon tech such as Android, so that reliable channel's availability can be assumed a given). An example is this very forum: HTTP over TCP, highly reliable data communications (as opposed to running a UDP conversation, which is designed to provide a less reliable channel in exchange for other positive characteristics)... both a reliable TCP and an unreliable UDP are options over a cell or wifi physical network (this tech was designed in the 60s & 70s for battlefield operations after all). The signal strength has no effect on the ability to provide a channel (such as TCP) that can perform reliable communications (i.e. the data is either transferred correctly, or it is not transferred at all... corruption is not really a risk when the reliable channel is chosen). While other physical layers could have issues (and I have some interesting stories from my time in the 80s & 90s doing networking to tell on that front), they are not the ones in play here. This car is nothing but a "big phone" in this sense... it is capable of using both cell and wifi signals to provide the physical layer for its communications. While it is possible that Lucid has implemented a UDP (or similar unreliable) data channel based update system, that would be much more work than doing so based upon (reliable) TCP communications... which brings us right back to the sense that if this OTA update system is subject to this class of failures, then we (as customers) have a big problem.

... which brings us right back to the sense that if this OTA update system is subject to this class of failures, then we (as customers) have a big problem.
I don't think it is particularly productive to speculate on the meaning and consequences of technical information relayed back (and mangled) through several layers of non-technical personnel. Lucid has software engineers; if there is a systemic problem they'll figure it out.

yikes. sounds like he's misinformed or he's communicating it poorly.

I wonder if running all of the devices on one wire and two 12v batteries is causing problems? (everything in this car is wired to everything else -- one thing goes out and it takes out the entire system = like Christmas tree lights. Also, we don't all have the same parts: supply chain issues. Your car is trouble free because you got the good chips...we got the Chinese chips with 50% failure rate. I'm just making stuff up because:

You get some weak ground or voltage spike and it lights up every warning (apparently the warning lights are multitude). The lights don't mean anything == they are just there for the lawyers. I have found that if you ignore the lights, keep doing resets (try all of them multiple times), hit the car a few times, curse if you got some... you can get home. Bad grounds and loose wires respond to violence.
Also, I have not had an issue since I permanently installed the tow loop.

I see posts about 12v issues. The warning lights are triggered by bad electrons going where they should not. We need a new sheriff.

Is there a forum for just verified owners? That would be most helpful for me. I want to know that all the feedback is based on real life experience. I really hope Lucid leadership sees this forum and takes the opportunity to offer transparency and clarity on these issues to make us feel better about the decision we made to take the Lucid jump. I kind of thought the name of the company would be lived out a little more than it has been. My car was picked up last week and I have no clue what’s happening with it.

yikes. sounds like he's misinformed or he's communicating it poorly.
Sorry for my speculations.Disregard if it's nonsense. I think Lucid service knows that they are talking about; perhaps I dont.

Back