[RESOLVED] Yikes! at 107 Miles and now - what seems like a significant system meltdown on my new Air.

I had a failure similar with my Tesla Model S when driving all of a sudden everything starting failing. In fact in my Tesla when I pulled over I could not even put the car in park. These cars are very computer driven and if anything fails that is connected to the lan bus everything can stop communicating and everything starts to fail. Did you try the factory reset procedure? Sometimes a fresh reboot with clear everything.

Our main goal is try and ensure things don't get out of hand. It's a fine line to walk, however, my personal opinion on the previous conversation taking place above is that arguments were raised on both sides regarding the validity of opinions and how much weight they carry in discussion. In my view, there were no outright personal attacks, hence no moderation was needed, otherwise the thread would have been locked. That being said, every discussion, especially one like this, gets discussed among moderators on how to further improve the community and our moderation policies. Rest assured, we did discuss this very thread in the moderator chat and were watching it closely.
Damn, so it looks like we don’t need the quotation marks around moderator after all? Damn you guys and your reasonableness!

Was responding to the OP so I consider it on topic. I find it concerning that in thread “moderators” didn’t moderate and instead let owners bash non owners.
Please know I was not trying to bash you or anyone or Lucid. I have a legitimate issue and hope anyone else who has had it would jump in and share how it was resolved. I truly apologize if my comment came off as bashing.

Our main goal is try and ensure things don't get out of hand. It's a fine line to walk, however, my personal opinion on the previous conversation taking place above is that arguments were raised on both sides regarding the validity of opinions and how much weight they carry in discussion. In my view, there were no outright personal attacks, hence no moderation was needed, otherwise the thread would have been locked. That being said, every discussion, especially one like this, gets discussed among moderators on how to further improve the community and our moderation policies. Rest assured, we did discuss this very thread in the moderator chat and were watching it closely.
Thank you hydrobob.

That was the response I was looking for.

Thank you hydrobob.

That was the response I was looking for.
If I might tag on here: please read the forum guidelines pages. As moderators, we are not here to pick sides or advocate on behalf of Lucid. We see our role as maintaining decorum, order, and friendliness. We truly want this forum to feel more like a neighborhood where discussions are civil.

@Jordan, re, technician's visit at 10am today,
Any updates?

If I might tag on here: please read the forum guidelines pages. As moderators, we are not here to pick sides or advocate on behalf of Lucid. We see our role as maintaining decorum, order, and friendliness. We truly want this forum to feel more like a neighborhood where discussions are civil.
Agreed. That why I raised concern when I felt moderators were participating in the non owner bashing.

Sorry. Thought I saw a reply. Must have been deleted

We aren't doing a phase III double-blind pharmaceutical trial here, are we? The data we glean here I find to be absolutely useful, and I don't think it's too far to say: essential. I for one am glad I check here and read all the posts about faults and bugs and other such like. I'm glad I learned how to install the tow hook, and to turn off the bump & tilt warning. I am really really glad I know and have tried all of the reset techniques = thanks to this site, and the moderators. So far resets have worked for me every single time. I have never been stranded. I have never needed the tow hook, or to turn off the bump/tilt warning.

I have never seen the faults described by Jordan and especially so many at once. And, I think it is significant that this be noted, especially by the moderators as they are most likely to have seen / been monitoring the site longer than the rest of us. It also prompts lurkers to chime in if only to prove they know more than the moderators. We want this input.

For context I was reading up about the "where're my buttons, knobs, and switches?" problem with touch screens. Today I was driving and trying to get the search box(es) off the NAV screens. Had to take my eyes off the road a couple of times, then realized I had to pull off the road into a parking lot and stop and study the thing...just to get a map on the screen I could see. Same thing with turning the seat heater off, etc. This is terrible design. WTF?

I learned there is only one wire in the entire car. everything is daisy-chained with everything.

the design of the electronics is the same as the old tree lights: when one goes out they all go out. something something "network" something something "multiplex" .... I'll add "packets" for good measure. someone help me with the correct jargon.

As a result something as silly as a screw being loose on a ground wire to one of the 12v batteries can wreck havoc with voltage spikes/drops in every module. The computers get confused and lose their place in line, and default to lighting up the dash (just in case it is something critical). A lit-up dash all flashing orange and red may not be the disaster it suggests. A faulty contact doesn't mean you need a new brake system or drive motor. For me, a reset puts order back into the system. I will pretend I understand the model I just made up out of pure BS.

We aren't doing a phase III double-blind pharmaceutical trial here, are we? The data we glean here I find to be absolutely useful, and I don't think it's too far to say: essential. I for one am glad I check here and read all the posts about faults and bugs and other such like. I'm glad I learned how to install the tow hook, and to turn off the bump & tilt warning. I am really really glad I know and have tried all of the reset techniques = thanks to this site, and the moderators. So far resets have worked for me every single time. I have never been stranded. I have never needed the tow hook, or to turn off the bump/tilt warning.

I have never seen the faults described by Jordan and especially so many at once. And, I think it is significant that this be noted, especially by the moderators as they are most likely to have seen / been monitoring the site longer than the rest of us. It also prompts lurkers to chime in if only to prove they know more than the moderators. We want this input.

For context I was reading up about the "where're my buttons, knobs, and switches?" problem with touch screens. Today I was driving and trying to get the search box(es) off the NAV screens. Had to take my eyes off the road a couple of times, then realized I had to pull off the road into a parking lot and stop and study the thing...just to get a map on the screen I could see. Same thing with turning the seat heater off, etc. This is terrible design. WTF?

I learned there is only one wire in the entire car. everything is daisy-chained with everything.

the design of the electronics is the same as the old tree lights: when one goes out they all go out. something something "network" something something "multiplex" .... I'll add "packets" for good measure. someone help me with the correct jargon.

As a result something as silly as a screw being loose on a ground wire to one of the 12v batteries can wreck havoc with voltage spikes/drops in every module. The computers get confused and lose their place in line, and default to lighting up the dash (just in case it is something critical). A lit-up dash all flashing orange and red may not be the disaster it suggests. A faulty contact doesn't mean you need a new brake system or drive motor. For me, a reset puts order back into the system. I will pretend I understand the model I just made up out of pure BS.
Well said, Cosmo.

Yeah the search box that defaults onto the map is necessary, otherwise how can you find where to go, BUT the layout could be improved. Usually if I want to see the full map on the glass cockpit (the upper right screen) then I tap once just to the left of where the pull down/search menu is, and that hides it, but that requires a very precise touch and I do agree it can make you take your eyes off the road for longer than is safe…until I remember how long my eyes were off the road in the past when rifling through CDs, cassettes, physical maps or printed directions from MapQuest in the late 1990s!

My favorite thing with the navigation, now that I figured it out, is to have satellite view and swipe the nav down to the pilot panel, then click the magnifying glass icon so that it hides the search box entirely, then you’ve got something really pretty and fascinating to look at…instead of the road in front of you haha. In any case, now that I’ve learned the car’s unique language and approach, I’m cool with it. I do find myself accidentally going to the seats/climate menu when I want to find the massage menu. I’m happy that is a problem I have though, lucky me, things could be much worse.

Update - The service center in Scottsdale called me about an hour after I spoke with customer service and shared pictures of the errors. He said that he would have a mobile tech here at 10 AM. Sure enough, a fantastic service technician showed up and started working on the car; because of where my garage is, he did not get a strong enough Wi-Fi connection to send data to the engineering team. So he pulled the car outside next to his van, which is equipped with high-speed wifi. They diagnosed the problem; it seems like the update failed partially through the process, perhaps because of the location of my garage (I live in a condo, and my garage is underground, and we don't have wifi down there); often, no cell service.

I did not know the redundancy built into the car; there is, for lack of a better way of describing it, a left brain and a right brain. It seems the left loaded correctly, and the right did not. So one element I did not mention in my original post is that the lights on the left of the car worked and the right did not. So if you looked from the back, lights went from the left side to the C in Lucid. The tech explained that computers on each side control the lights. standing by

He told me when he arrived that he had an engineering team standing by to diagnose the issue. They figured out what parts of the update failed, but they had to reload the modules that failed individually. Because his high-speed wifi connection is good but not super fast, it would take a long time for all the packets they were sending to arrive and then update. He asked to take my car to the service center, do the work and bring it back later today after all the packets were installed and the 2.4.47 version was installed. One interesting observation is that the current version was installed according to their initial diagnosis, but the car indicated that it only had 2.4.45.

At 4 PM I received a text from the tech. All problems had been resolved, the update was complete, and he was headed back with the car. He pulled it into my garage at 4:15 with everything working.

This is probably the best service experience I have ever had from any luxury car company. They had one person and an engineering team work from 10 AM to 4 PM. It sounded like this was not something that they had seen before, and I hope to learn a bit more when I get the service update about what they did.

All-in-all - FANTASTIC SERVICE! A big shout-out to John in the Scottsdale service center, that got this rolling so quickly. An even bigger shout-out to Keona the tech and the engineering team that worked to solve the problem.

If they can continue to deliver service at this level, they will be extremely successful IMHO.

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Yeah the search box that defaults onto the map is necessary, otherwise how can you find where to go, BUT the layout could be improved. Usually if I want to see the full map on the glass cockpit (the upper right screen) then I tap once just to the left of where the pull down/search menu is, and that hides it, but that requires a very precise touch and I do agree it can make you take your eyes off the road for longer than is safe…until I remember how long my eyes were off the road in the past when rifling through CDs, cassettes, physical maps or printed directions from MapQuest in the late 1990s!

My favorite thing with the navigation, now that I figured it out, is to have satellite view and swipe the nav down to the pilot panel, then click the magnifying glass icon so that it hides the search box entirely, then you’ve got something really pretty and fascinating to look at…instead of the road in front of you haha. In any case, now that I’ve learned the car’s unique language and approach, I’m cool with it. I do find myself accidentally going to the seats/climate menu when I want to find the massage menu. I’m happy that is a problem I have though, lucky me, things could be much worse.
Printed directions from Map Quest - forgot about that, I think they got me lost and in the wrong location at least a dozen times.

Update - The service center in Scottsdale called me about an hour after I spoke with customer service and shared pictures of the errors. He said that he would have a mobile tech here at 10 AM. Sure enough, a fantastic service technician showed up and started working on the car; because of where my garage is, he did not get a strong enough Wi-Fi connection to send data to the engineering team. So he pulled the car outside next to his van, which is equipped with high-speed wifi. They diagnosed the problem; it seems like the update failed partially through the process, perhaps because of the location of my garage (I live in a condo, and my garage is underground, and we don't have wifi down there); often, no cell service.

I did not know the redundancy built into the car; there is, for lack of a better way of describing it, a left brain and a right brain. It seems the left loaded correctly, and the right did not. So one element I did not mention in my original post is that the lights on the left of the car worked and the right did not. So if you looked from the back, lights went from the left side to the C in Lucid. The tech explained that computers on each side control the lights. standing by

He told me when he arrived that he had an engineering team standing by to diagnose the issue. They figured out what parts of the update failed, but they had to reload the modules that failed individually. Because his high-speed wifi connection is good but not super fast, it would take a long time for all the packets they were sending to arrive and then update. He asked to take my car to the service center, do the work and bring it back later today after all the packets were installed and the 2.4.47 version was installed. One interesting observation is that the current version was installed according to their initial diagnosis, but the car indicated that it only had 2.4.45.

At 4 PM I received a text from the tech. All problems had been resolved, the update was complete, and he was headed back with the car. He pulled it into my garage at 4:15 with everything working.

This is probably the best service experience I have ever had from any luxury car company. They had one person and an engineering team work from 10 AM to 4 PM. It sounded like this was not something that they had seen before, and I hope to learn a bit more when I get the service update about what they did.

All-in-all - FANTASTIC SERVICE! A big shout-out to John in the Scottsdale service center, that got this rolling so quickly. An even bigger shout-out to Keona the tech and the engineering team that worked to solve the problem.

If they can continue to deliver service at this level, they will be extremely successful IMHO.

Fantastic! Thanks for following up. I will mark this thread resolved!

Thanks for the update! I didn’t know about this right brain/left brain thing, your mishap definitely taught me something new, but sorry for the headache!

Thanks for the update! I didn’t know about this right brain/left brain thing, your mishap definitely taught me something new, but sorry for the headache!
Probably not the most technical description, but it made sense to me after he said that.

Good to hear, we are lucky to have the Scottsdale service team nearby.

Impressed with the level of service! Great that they were able to figure it out so quickly. I wish other dealers had that.

Impressed with the level of service! Great that they were able to figure it out so quickly. I wish other dealers had that.
Amen to that - this world is about support and service, and those companies that get it will thrive.

Would it be possible from the technical standpoint for the car to give an alert that the software needs to be updated prior to driving?
I mean I'd rather have the car takes itself out of commission and updates itself while in my garage than on the road

Back