Register in Tennessee or Florida?

chipcaldwell

Cars
Grand Touring
I have the option of registering in Tennessee or florida. Tennessee has a 7% sales tax while Florida has a 6%. I'm wondering if there are other considerations. I would appreciate any thoughts on this option. If it matters I ordered the car to be delivered in tennessee, which is currently scheduled between September 18th and October 5, (if I trust Lucid'snability to be accurate in their forecasts. LOL.)

I have the option of registering in Tennessee or florida. Tennessee has a 7% sales tax while Florida has a 6%. I'm wondering if there are other considerations. I would appreciate any thoughts on this option. If it matters I ordered the car to be delivered in tennessee, which is currently scheduled between September 18th and October 5, (if I trust Lucid'snability to be accurate in their forecasts. LOL.)
I am not up to date on Tennessee rules but Florida is super easy. No inspections, simply provide them with proof of insurance and pay your registration fees, typically under $100. I have had homes in Texas but always register my cars in Florida as I use this as my official Home.

You live in Tennessee. Technically, if you registered in Florida you would owe Tennessee the difference in rate.

On the other hand, if you can get actually register your car in Florida, then photo radar in Tennessee will likely not bother with you (I am assuming that you have photo radar).

I ran into the same problem with Ohio and Florida and ended up going with Florida mainly because Ohio charges a few extra fees per yr for EVs which is roughly $250/yr. Looks like TN also charges an extra $100/yr but that’s more reasonable. I plan on spending more time in Florida but my decision was a bit more petty because I hate the new Ohio license plate banner.

Can’t get over the fact they messed it up then just did a quick photoshop edit and pushed it out destroying whatever 10s of thousands of plates they already made. So stupid, I hate it and I can’t unsee it. Again really petty.

Floridas insurance rates are also a consideration. I hate to drop my coverages a little bit in order to get similar pricing to Ohio. But I also have to get an umbrella policy anyway for tier 2 home solar so didn’t matter too much.

Back