Real Life Range

it's all percentage make a guess
worst case
(cold, speeding, headwind, uphill ... bad choice in music )

... 300 miles no worries mate

( I needed a slash two hours ago )

Last edited:
That’s amazing considering the actual EPA range for that is 425!
I haven’t charged to 100% - like ever - but after ten months and low mileage, I’m still at a calculated 435 miles, give or take. Never understood how that was possible either, but at least I’ve had no apparent degradation either. My 2016 Model X lost 5% in its first year, by comparison.

I haven’t charged to 100% - like ever - but after ten months and low mileage, I’m still at a calculated 435 miles, give or take. Never understood how that was possible either, but at least I’ve had no apparent degradation either. My 2016 Model X lost 5% in its first year, by comparison.
Yeah mine started at 435 miles and I’m assuming the new estimate was adjusted to my driving and average efficiency but could be degradation.

I know it’s just an estimate range but I’ve done multiple long road trips and I would get [range] minus 10-15 miles, which considering the car would probably go about 10-15 miles after hitting zero, it’s pretty close to my real life range.

I have had my AGT since Oct 2022 and have only used the SOC to estimate my range. Simple math--and reliable. I can gauge the variables of a particular drive and tend to be conservative with my efficiency estimations. The nav system was not reliable last March, but I gather that its range estimates and EA stops for cross-country work are better now. I will find out how much in a few months on another cross country. FWIW, I have not planned to go below 20% SOC, but after many years in ICE cars, I rarely went below a fifth of a tank either. Maybe a legacy behavioral condition of mine from many long overwater flights where fueling options were non-existent.

Very true. All our Teslas (two Xs and an S) degraded the most during our first year of ownership, about 4 to 5 percent. We are now down to one Tesla Model X100D. Five-and-a-half years in, battery degradation rate has remained “glacial”, staying at right around 10%. Brand new, our X100D was EPA rated at 295 miles at 100% charge. Today, at that same maximum charge level, we’re at 266 miles.

I still keep tabs on our previous Teslas, since we know the buyers/current owners. They’re reported that their cars too, are holding steady at 10% degradation, after six years.

I had a bit of a wake up call today. We decided to drive the 86 miles to Hudson Ny. I had 322 miles range so figured had miles to spare. Weather was 37 degrees and rainy. Driving up I probably was doing 75 most of the time ( some sprints to 90)and found I used186 miles of range(!) so on the way back dialed back the heat, drafted behind a bus on the thruway running about 70 and still pulled into the EA kiosk at Newburgh with 28 miles of range. ( the trip from there home was still 18 miles with Stormking mountain in the middle, no way I would have made it. Winter really kills the range, figure you need double the range as a rule of thumb

Very true. All our Teslas (two Xs and an S) degraded the most during our first year of ownership, about 4 to 5 percent. We are now down to one Tesla Model X100D. Five-and-a-half years in, battery degradation rate has remained “glacial”, staying at right around 10%. Brand new, our X100D was EPA rated at 295 miles at 100% charge. Today, at that same maximum charge level, we’re at 266 miles.

I still keep tabs on our previous Teslas, since we know the buyers/current owners. They’re reported that their cars too, are holding steady at 10% degradation, after six years.
Lithium ion batteries are usually like that with the leveling off, this is expected behavior! For example, there was an article here some time ago reporting on the battery deg of some taxi model s’s, and they too leveled off!

I had a bit of a wake up call today. We decided to drive the 86 miles to Hudson Ny. I had 322 miles range so figured had miles to spare. Weather was 37 degrees and rainy. Driving up I probably was doing 75 most of the time and found I used186 miles of range(!) so on the way back dialed back the heat, drafted behind a bus on the thruway running about 70 and still pulled into the EA kiosk at Newburgh with 28 miles of range. ( the trip from there home was still 18 miles with Stormking mountain in the middle, no way I would have made it. Winter really kills the range, figure you need double the range as a rule of thumb
You know things are desperate when you use the video game method of drafting a bus.. glad you made it! In winter, I’d always assume half the range just to be safe, as you said,.

Back