Real Life Drive experience

Here is a Bloomberg article on a recent Lucid Air Dream trip. We can all draw our own conclusions but clearly there are some software issues and the Electrify America cost of charging that was supposed to be free.

Read in Bloomberg: https://apple.news/AaoVIk6egQDujkbKHK5Y3Tw
We just picked up a Mercedes AMG EQS for my wife. She was able to get in, adjust the seats, mirrors and steering wheel, start the car and drive off in 5 minutes having never seen the car before. Also, all of the screens responded instantly.

If Lucid gets it's act together, they can do well but the clock is running.

Last edited:
Here is a Bloomberg article on a recent Lucid Air Dream trip. We can all draw our own conclusions but clearly there are some software issues and the Electrify America cost of charging that was supposed to be free.

Read in Bloomberg: https://apple.news/AaoVIk6egQDujkbKHK5Y3Tw
It is free, if you start the session from the Lucid app...

Also, is this her first time in an EV? Sounds like it from the way she writes. Plugging in at a L2 charger and surprised the range received is so low? Cmon

Interesting article in Bloomberg. Reflects the experiences on the forum which seem to indicate a fairly wide range from a couple insignificant glitches here and there to literally something wrong with every feature. Comparing to my own experience:

1. Fabric bolsters popping off easily - never tried that, so don’t know
2. Fat formless steering wheel that isn’t ergonomic with no finger depressions - I dunno, I find the steering wheel quite comfortable and lux feeling
3. Steering column not extending far enough - haven’t noticed that oroblem
4. Turning indicators rarely self canceling - I somewhat agree with this
5. Cruise control impossible to engage - complete opposite experience for me, I think the cruise control is amazing
6. Sync phone via Bluetooth impossible - no issues there for me
7. Restricted access to charging outlets - Haven’t noticed that issue
8. Unreliable clock - no issues there for me
9. Music screen displaying wrong music - I use Amazon music currently and that doesn’t seem to be one of the best options for this car so I think I see where this is coming from
10. Click through multiple screens to set steering column and mirror position - don’t recall this being annoying and as a single driver, I set it once and never adjusted again so no big deal
11. Locks and trunks only controlled by center console - doesn’t seem right, the left pilot panel can do these functions no?
12. Can’t find heated/cooled seat function - was pretty easy to find that function for me
13. Key fob doesn’t work - my key fob works 100% of the time
14. Key fob doesn’t open trunk - somewhat true I guess although if you press and hold it after the frunk is open it does then open the trunk
15. Frequently getting locked out of the car - has never happened to me
16. Visors cutting visibility of full glass roof - technically correct but compared to a fully opaque roof the visibility is still a million times better…
17. Extreme heat and light penetration through glass roof - I guess I haven’t driven for long enough distances to really comment on this. For daily driving it’s totally fine although I think sometimes the sun reflects off the central console and can be annoying - unrelated question, anyone recommend a good oleophobic matte screen protector for the center console? Hate fingerprints
18. Hills draining the battery at a high rate - duh…
19. Regen going downhill not equaling effort required to go uphill - duh…
20. 26 miles of charge after 2 hours on a level 2 charger - doesn’t sound like it matches my experience but I haven’t really charged a lot outside of home
21. 50$ fee for charging at EA station - sounds fishy to me, I’ve never been charged at an EA statkln
22. 1 hour and 23 minutes to go from about 30 miles of range to 441 miles at a fast EA charger - seems a bit slow to me. Wonder how long it took to go from 30 to 300 or so.

Overall ends on a positive note because the car was very fun to drive which I do agree with. I think if I had all the above problems, I’d probably be annoyed too but some of the reviewer problems were self-inflicted (deliberately not even a cursory plan as to when and where to charge for example) or just don’t match my experiences.

Also, is this her first time in an EV? Sounds like it from the way she writes. Plugging in at a L2 charger and surprised the range received is so low? Cmon
I think I just plug in to the EA station and the cost zeros out automatically

Yes, some of this seems like it would apply to any EV and that there was perhaps a hope from the outset that difficulties locating and using chargers would arise. Some issues have come up on this forum. I never understood when people complain about difficulty adjusting mirrors and steering wheel though (also standard practice to bring this up in Tesla reviews). Surely that’s something everyone does once only when initially setting up the car… it’s made out like this is a daily occurrence and needs to happen while driving

3. Steering column not extending far enough - haven’t noticed that problem
tbh I felt this on my test drive too. I wish it came out maybe 1/2 an inch more. (I'm 6'4" with longer legs than arms)

The article did seem a little negative overall but I think it's good to hear all opinions.

having just done this journey both ways - I find SO MANY holes in narrative. I don't think Hannah is EV experienced, or planned the journey, not do I think Lucid did themselves any favours. Heck, I spent 90 mins at my pick up just walking through the car - they seem to give Hannah the fob (on a lanyard) and push her out the door.

the clickbait lines like "390-mile trip took 11 hours" ... need to be offset by the fact that she charged TWICE (including more than an hour on an L2) ... and when she did get a fast charger, it looks like she went to 100% which we know is v slow for the last 10%

I don't mind opinions that contradict or veer away from mine, but please, lets put some quality into the work

I suppose a review of an EV by a journalist who doesn't own or understand one could be interesting, but it's also unfair to the car's manufacturer. Sounds like she did choose to charge to 100% at the EA station, and had little idea about charging in general, treating it like a gas car: when the tank gets down to 1/4, look for a gas station and then fill up.

14. Key fob doesn’t open trunk - somewhat true I guess although if you press and hold it after the frunk is open it does then open the trunk
Wait...has this been posted before on the boards and I missed it? While it's far from optimal, I thought the consensus was that you could not open the trunk with the fob.

Wait...has this been posted before on the boards and I missed it? While it's far from optimal, I thought the consensus was that you could not open the trunk with the fob.
You can't. It only opens the frunk. The response was in relation to that Bloomberg reviewer who was complaining about it.

Oops my mistake then. I thought I did this before and it worked 🤷‍♂️
If it does that's amazing, but for me it just closes the frunk back. Gimme your fob!

She writes that the charge cost roughly $50 for about 450 miles. Does this sound correct? I never had to pay to charge my Teslas at these charging stations but I always thought it was cheaper — maybe $15-$20.

It varies, but here is a sample rate

Screenshot_20220421-215914_Chrome.jpg

She writes that the charge cost roughly $50 for about 450 miles. Does this sound correct? I never had to pay to charge my Teslas at these charging stations but I always thought it was cheaper — maybe $15-$20.
Could be close. EA rates for a non member would be 43 cents / kW. Adding 100 kw would be $43.

I would think charging from 20 to 80 would cost about $25
She was below 20 and, by the amount of time she spent, she went to 100%. It sounded from the article like she filled the battery from close to empty to completely full.

I don’t have my GT, but this reads like a Karen leaving a yelp review. It’s hard to discern what may be legitimate criticism if she can’t even find the seat heaters or do the 3 minute research to figure out how to use the cruise control.

Has anyone really found the steering wheel to be fatiguing and arms stressed from a lack of a 90 degree bend?

Back