Quality Issues

BS8899

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I was impressed with Lucid design and engineering when I first visited the Lucid Studio in CA 1.5 years ago. I made a deposit on my AGT and received it mid Novemeber 2022.
Overall, I am disappointed in Lucid's qualit after 6 weeks of ownership (2 weeks back in the Lucid Service Center)y.

I want to be clear, Lucid Service Center (in Scottsdale) has been good in responding to my problems. However, there are simply too many issues. My view is, these are fundamental engineering and QA problems, not service problems. The car is not really ready for prime-time.

Problems include: Car won't charge (with L2). Battery pack has to be removed and the Wunderbox replaced. Took 2 weeks! The Lucid charging cable was replaced twice. Cruise control button fell off...have to replace the entire steering wheel. Window stuch at open. Pilot panel freezes, twice in one day. Had to go to Serivice Center to reset and also have to be reset remotely. No delayed TOU charging. Very laggy navigation....almost useless! EA don't recognize my car. Called EA...they said Lucid did not update my car's info hence EA chargers did not recognize it. EA said it is Lucid's fault.

I know it is challenging developing a leading-edge product like the Lucid. I spent my whole career developing high-tech, leading-edge products. In my opinion, the Lucid has a good engineering platform with many good innovations. But the QA sucks and the car is not ready for Prime-time!
Lucid Corp needs to REALLY bear down on fixing its QA and SW problems. Existing owners won't put up with this kind od issues and new perspective buyers will be deterred!

So, don't just focus on your pending reservations and hustling for new orders. Fix the on-going problems. Make the existing owners sing praises of you cars and the orders will come.
I ams ure Mr. Rowlinson and his team of engineers are great. However, Mr. Rowlinson better go on a listening tour and get acquainted with the many quality (especially SW) issues and put together an A-Team to tackle these problems.

I was impressed with Lucid design and engineering when I first visited the Lucid Studio in CA 1.5 years ago. I made a deposit on my AGT and received it mid Novemeber 2022.
Overall, I am disappointed in Lucid's qualit after 6 weeks of ownership (2 weeks back in the Lucid Service Center)y.

I want to be clear, Lucid Service Center (in Scottsdale) has been good in responding to my problems. However, there are simply too many issues. My view is, these are fundamental engineering and QA problems, not service problems. The car is not really ready for prime-time.

Problems include: Car won't charge (with L2). Battery pack has to be removed and the Wunderbox replaced. Took 2 weeks! The Lucid charging cable was replaced twice. Cruise control button fell off...have to replace the entire steering wheel. Window stuch at open. Pilot panel freezes, twice in one day. Had to go to Serivice Center to reset and also have to be reset remotely. No delayed TOU charging. Very laggy navigation....almost useless! EA don't recognize my car. Called EA...they said Lucid did not update my car's info hence EA chargers did not recognize it. EA said it is Lucid's fault.

I know it is challenging developing a leading-edge product like the Lucid. I spent my whole career developing high-tech, leading-edge products. In my opinion, the Lucid has a good engineering platform with many good innovations. But the QA sucks and the car is not ready for Prime-time!
Lucid Corp needs to REALLY bear down on fixing its QA and SW problems. Existing owners won't put up with this kind od issues and new perspective buyers will be deterred!

So, don't just focus on your pending reservations and hustling for new orders. Fix the on-going problems. Make the existing owners sing praises of you cars and the orders will come.
I ams ure Mr. Rowlinson and his team of engineers are great. However, Mr. Rowlinson better go on a listening tour and get acquainted with the many quality (especially SW) issues and put together an A-Team to tackle these problems.
Your review and analysis are spot on and I want this company to succeed and thrive.
At the risk of drawing the anger of some members, or the possible disapproval of the forum’s moderators, I have a message meant for lucid management. I hope they see this sincere message as honest business thought and feedback. It is in no way meant in anger or a non constructive spirit, as an accomplished business person myself, have this to say.
Lucid’s top management needs to dramatically improve the numerous software Problems and bugs , and fast! Your flagship car quickly needs a major and comprehensive effort to eliminate the root causes of what seems to be numerous interaction software bugs. You’re deceiving yourselves to think the 2.X versions is nearly enough. If you do not achieve an OS which works smoothly and nearly perfectly every time, lucid will suffer the exact fate of the original Fisker karma, beautiful design with awful software, followed by bankruptcy. The cultists don’t matter, the tech geeks dont’t matter, the fanboys don’t matter, mom and pa Americans want and expect everything to work all of the time. The last thing they want to think about is reset procedures, turtle modes or key fobs or charging stations that don’t respond, or that their favorite comfortable and reliable xm radio and CarPlay is coming soon. They don’t want excuses like “ it’s a beta version “ Come on lucid wake up and do something quick to save this infant company. If you think the product you are currently building and selling to the public is going to lead your company to success, you are woefully fooling yourselves.

Your review and analysis are spot on and I want this company to succeed and thrive.
At the risk of drawing the anger of some members, or the possible disapproval of the forum’s moderators, I have a message meant for lucid management. I hope they see this sincere message as honest business thought and feedback. It is in no way meant in anger or a non constructive spirit, as an accomplished business person myself, have this to say.
Lucid’s top management needs to dramatically improve the numerous software Problems and bugs , and fast! Your flagship car quickly needs a major and comprehensive effort to eliminate the root causes of what seems to be numerous interaction software bugs. You’re deceiving yourselves to think the 2.X versions is nearly enough. If you do not achieve an OS which works smoothly and nearly perfectly every time, lucid will suffer the exact fate of the original Fisker karma, beautiful design with awful software, followed by bankruptcy. The cultists don’t matter, the tech geeks dont’t matter, the fanboys don’t matter, mom and pa Americans want and expect everything to work all of the time. The last thing they want to think about is reset procedures, turtle modes or key fobs or charging stations that don’t respond, or that their favorite comfortable and reliable xm radio and CarPlay is coming soon. They don’t want excuses like “ it’s a beta version “ Come on lucid wake up and do something quick to save this infant company. If you think the product you are currently building and selling to the public is going to lead your company to success, you are woefully fooling yourselves.
I agree 100%. What we have here is a wonderful car that needs a bigger, better, and more responsive software team. I wish Lucid had the courage to employ a software liaison to this forum for open and frank discussion of priorities.

While I am not a techie, I am very computer literate and fully understand the unknown issues that are inevitable with the development of software platforms. Apple today still and frequently offers improvements and fixes, as does Microsoft which, BTW, usually sends out "beta" versions of new software in advance of the full distribution. Unfortunately, it is incredibly difficult to determine what software glitch is causing or is responsible for a problem and if a fix to issue 1 doesn't surprisingly cause an issue with something else. While terribly frustrating to experience continued issues ... and I am a member of that Club ... to LUCID's credit they have been continually sending us improvements. Tesla still has bugs and was a huge software problem for owners the first few years. BTW, the cars you own do not list LUCID. Are you an owner or just a bystander with no personal experience with this fabulous car?

If you do not achieve an OS which works smoothly and nearly perfectly every time, lucid will suffer the exact fate of the original Fisker karma, beautiful design with awful software, followed by bankruptcy.

While I do not disagree with your point about Lucid's software, I do take issue with comparisons to the Fisker Karma. The Karma problems went far, far beyond software: poor build quality, a cramped interior, subpar power and performance, poor handling, and a complicated and unreliable powertrain that employed an internal combustion engine to drive a generator that drove the wheel motors.

Even when we bought our first Tesla in 2015, Tesla software/hardware was far from perfect (constant reboots, phantom warnings, MCU failure, USB outputs dropping out, recurrent enhanced autopilot interruptions), yet Tesla won the 2012 Car of the Year and saw its sales figures climb steadily during its journey to more robust software performance -- a journey that, based on our 2021 Model S Plaid, is still not complete.

I agree 100%. What we have here is a wonderful car that needs a bigger, better, and more responsive software team. I wish Lucid had the courage to employee a software liaison to this forum for open and frank discussion of priorities.
I’m sure many are having the fantasy that if Lucid would build an Air with a full Apple CarPlay Dashboard as well as vehicle OS, then build an upper end but affordable 70-100k Suv, and a 50-80k mid size sedan, they would guarantee rocket to success.

I’m sure many are having the fantasy that if Lucid would build an Air with a full Apple CarPlay Dashboard as well as vehicle OS, then build an upper end but affordable 70-100k Suv, and a 50-80k mid size sedan, they would guarantee rocket to success.
Can’t disagree. Must also have a solid UI for non-Apple folks.

I commented on the other post you made, but as a general rule: please do not repost the same content on multiple threads.

Can’t disagree. Must also have a solid UI for non-Apple folks.
To be fair, when they release CarPlay I would put many dollars down as a bet that they simultaneously release Android Auto.

To be fair, when they release CarPlay I would put many dollars down as a bet that they simultaneously release Android Auto.
Yes I agree. I just feel bad for the Android folks who didn’t get the iPhone they asked Santa for.

I read these concerns and understand. I balance them with ownership for several weeks with no complaints. Nothing I would complain to anyone about anyway. Sure navigation is a little funky and Tidal has cut out a few times. Today because I had to drive off road for a mile or so I took my A7. Compared to the Lucid it felt like a truck with rattles I never appreciated and it lacked the spirit I have been growing used to. Most things I would comment about on the Lucid seem to me to be those which will get rectified with time and I dont worry about it. Yeah whoever designed the cupholders was having a bad day but thats one of those things that comes with the car. They are too small on the A7 too. And my A7 radio cuts off all the time. I guess I thought that was normal. looking forward to the next 3 days in the car. Now we will see...

Yes I agree. I just feel bad for the Android folks who didn’t get the iPhone they asked Santa for.
Or have both 🤣

Also I do agree with all points stated above, I do definitely think that the problems pointed out are outlier problems and far from the norm.. I haven't heard anyone else's buttons falloff, windows stuck. The other ones I've seen, but with quick replacements by Lucid.

But if the mass were having the same problems, then I'd completely agree. But so far my Lucid has had nitpicks, and services requested for those.
My biggest issue has been that my usb C port won't charge (intermittent charge) and my Frunk alignment problem which caused damage to the body.
All problems are in queue in Lucid Service center.

But I do hope they can fix all of your problems and you don't ever have problems again!

Bobby I read your post and immediately asked my home-for-solstice son " do I want Car Play? ".

"Yes." he says, " You want that."

So... I want that.

Bobby I read your post and immediately asked my home-for-solstice son " do I want Car Play? ".

"Yes." he says, " You want that."

So... I want that.
Honestly, if you hate your phone, you’re not likely to love CarPlay. Think of it as your phone, but on the Lucid screen.

That said, if your main issue with your phone is “everything is just too small,” then CarPlay may help a lot.

I am sorry your experience has been less than ideal. I do think that it is fairly rare though. Mine has 7,500 miles and literally not a single problem. Are their software things that I would like changed or adjusted? Yes! But the car has been a dream and I love it so much. I am sorry to hear of bad experiences.

Yeah, 12,000 miles on my car. While I’ve had some intermittent trim issues plus not being able to charge at one EA site, my car has been great with very few problems not cured by a reboot. Yeah there’s the random camera glitchiness, maybe Tidal drops out one every few days or Alexa doesn’t work every once in awhile, but it’s actually way less trouble than I was expecting for a generation 1 car from a new company. So I have no armchair CEO advice to give. Incidentally I had an Audi S4 as a rental over the holidays, and Audi is supposed to be all high tech, but the Lucid’s adaptive cruise and lane centering was superior. The Audi kept giving me false alarms for objects in front of me then randomly saying collision protection wasn’t available, lane centering was way too ping-pong. And the infotainment was awful and confusing, I never managed to figure out how to check the tire pressures, and it’s just a bunch of boxy icons you scroll through, some with what looks like color assignments but which don’t make sense organizationally. But the one thing they did have in common was the small wrong location for the cup holders! Didn’t Derek Jenkins work for Audi? Maybe we can pin the cup holders on him?

Last edited:

I personally appreciate your feedback. I have not visited this community for a while since I decided to pass on my reservation after seeing too many complaints. I came back after receiving an email from Lucid to finalize my order😌.

I personally appreciate your feedback. I have not visited this community for a while since I decided to pass on my reservation after seeing too many complaints. I came back after receiving an email from Lucid to finalize my order😌.

It's important to keep the complaints on this forum in context. The overall mix of good and bad is not much different from what you'd see on a forum for any other brand. (I had a Rivian reservation for four years until a week ago, and I've followed that forum closely, too, as well as forums for other brands I've owned -- Tesla, Mercedes, Audi.)

We've had our Air for over 13 months and almost 16,000 miles, so it was an early build before several minor hardware/assembly issues were corrected. Those have been addressed by Lucid, both on our car and apparently on the assembly line since, as complaints about those issues have faded away on this forum with later deliveries.

The software journey has been a different matter. UX 1.0 was a frustrating period for all. UX 2.0 brought much improvement in speed, reliability, and features -- although some new bugs have plagued recent updates. But, overall, our Air software is near enough the software performance of our Tesla Model S Plaid to leave us satisfied. In fact, the Lucid software has some useful functionality that the Model S' doesn't (front camera and birds-eye view displays, distance indicators) -- plus the Air has more logical and far more convenient controls for things such as turn signals, gear selection, air vent adjustment, passenger volume and climate controls.

In return for putting up with some of the serious teething pains of Lucid software and minor early build issues, we've had over a year driving a blazingly fast, crisp handling, quiet, comfortable, roomy, luxurious, and solidly-built car. It's the like of nothing I've ever owned or driven in its superb blend of sport and luxury driving.

It's important to keep the complaints on this forum in context. The overall mix of good and bad is not much different from what you'd see on a forum for any other brand. (I had a Rivian reservation for four years until a week ago, and I've followed that forum closely, too, as well as forums for other brands I've owned -- Tesla, Mercedes, Audi.)

We've had our Air for over 13 months and almost 16,000 miles, so it was an early build before several minor hardware/assembly issues were corrected. Those have been addressed by Lucid, both on our car and apparently on the assembly line since, as complaints about those issues have faded away on this forum with later deliveries.

The software journey has been a different matter. UX 1.0 was a frustrating period for all. UX 2.0 brought much improvement in speed, reliability, and features -- although some new bugs have plagued recent updates. But, overall, our Air software is near enough the software performance of our Tesla Model S Plaid to leave us satisfied. In fact, the Lucid software has some useful functionality that the Model S' doesn't (front camera and birds-eye view displays, distance indicators) -- plus the Air has more logical and far more convenient controls for things such as turn signals, gear selection, air vent adjustment, passenger volume and climate controls.

In return for putting up with some of the serious teething pains of Lucid software and minor early build issues, we've had over a year driving a blazingly fast, crisp handling, quiet, comfortable, roomy, luxurious, and solidly-built car. It's the like of nothing I've ever owned or driven in its superb blend of sport and luxury driving.
Yeah you definitely had some early headaches, were very patient, glad it’s sorted out enough now to not be frustrating.

Even after my service adventure where I got the turtle and needed battery coolant pump/rear drive motor coolant pump replaced (which may have been short circuited by a bad EVGo charger), I’d still rather drive this car than any other. After having a Tesla as a rental that just confirmed to me that the Lucid was the right choice for me. I think it’s funny Tesla is all about its camera technology as I think the Lucid cameras are better, the blind spot monitoring system is way better than Tesla, and the 360 view/front rear camera toggle is amazing, like if you trash your rims in the Lucid or pull over on a car in your blind spot its 100% your fault! The Tesla I found couldn’t tell where curbs are, and several times didn’t detect a car in my blind spot.

Yeah you definitely had some early headaches, were very patient, glad it’s sorted out enough now to not be frustrating.

Even after my service adventure where I got the turtle and needed battery coolant pump/rear drive motor coolant pump replaced (which may have been short circuited by a bad EVGo charger), I’d still rather drive this car than any other. After having a Tesla as a rental that just confirmed to me that the Lucid was the right choice for me. I think it’s funny Tesla is all about its camera technology as I think the Lucid cameras are better, the blind spot monitoring system is way better than Tesla, and the 360 view/front rear camera toggle is amazing, like if you trash your rims in the Lucid or pull over on a car in your blind spot its 100% your fault! The Tesla I found couldn’t tell where curbs are, and several times didn’t detect a car in my blind spot.
Yeah I curbed the wheel once and my wife curbed it twice in the Tesla. I felt awful but Hertz didn’t notice and I wasn’t about to inform them. The side camera system in the Y was awful.

Back