Has Parcel Shelf Rattle Issue Been Solved Yet?

Baumer55

Cars
Air Touring
I’ve had my Lucid Air Touring for about 3 months and 1900 miles. Since day 1 there had been a noticeable and annoying rattle in the back seat that I understand is caused by a poorly designed parcel shelf. I took the car to the Service Center where supposedly it was fixed, but after only about a week, the rattle reappeared. Now I’m too I have to wait almost 6 weeks before the Service Center can take the car in again to deal with the problem. I see this issue has been around for a while and wondered if anyone has experienced the same and if the problem has ever been resolved?

I’ve had my Lucid Air Touring for about 3 months and 1900 miles. Since day 1 there had been a noticeable and annoying rattle in the back seat that I understand is caused by a poorly designed parcel shelf. I took the car to the Service Center where supposedly it was fixed, but after only about a week, the rattle reappeared. Now I’m too I have to wait almost 6 weeks before the Service Center can take the car in again to deal with the problem. I see this issue has been around for a while and wondered if anyone has experienced the same and if the problem has ever been resolved?
Search the forum for “Bobby Foam.” Sure, some folks will find it ridiculous that you have to resort to a DIY solution, but as far as I’m concerned, it was the best few bucks and few minutes I ever invested in my car.

I had this issue and my shelf was replaced. This seemed to solve the noise, for a few months anyway. Then, I began to hear more noises emanating from the back, which I assumed were secondary to the rear deck once again. After a bit of sitting in the back seat , I realized the noises ( this time around ) were actually coming from the headrests on the back seat.
I adjusted them a bit and the noise went away, only to recently re-appear. I will adjust the headrests once again to see if that solves the issue.
So, it may be worth checking out this possibility.
When I had the back shelf rattle it was more like a squeak; whereas the headrest issue seems to be of a rattle.
If the rear deck is indeed your culprit, the Bobby foam may be an interim solution.

I've had literally 5+ service visits for fixes for this. None of them actually fixed the issue for more than a week. The foam fix took me 5 minutes and has kept the car dead silent for over 4 months now. Last week I heard a very very slight rattle from the shelf again, went and re-adjusted the foam and we were golden again. Do the foam fix. Annoying that it's even a thing but its all good!

Search the forum for “Bobby Foam.” Sure, some folks will find it ridiculous that you have to resort to a DIY solution, but as far as I’m concerned, it was the best few bucks and few minutes I ever invested in my car.
Being absolutely anal about rattles, when I first heard that noise coming from the rear, I immediately thought of Bobby’s fix. Easy and quick to do and since then not a peep from the rear…and no visit to the SC required. :)

I used pieces of fuzzy Velcro tape stuck to each other to form pieces of felt to the same effect. Had to redo it when they slid down too far. Apparently there is nothing down there to damage this way (according to mobile tech).

Mobile service fixed mine. He applied felt tape in the corners on both sides. 100% quiet now.

Mobile service fixed mine. He applied felt tape in the corners on both sides. 100% quiet now.
Mobile tech alluded to that being the new solution when the previous one was found not to be all that great.

Mine had new brackets installed to drop the shelf by 1/4 inch, but the creak remains. Time to check the headrests and try a bit of foam.

I had my parcel shelf replaced but worked for short period of time. Put foam in corners and got rid of the creak but now have another noise which is due to loose rear headliner that keeps popping the Velcro and has been already adjusted twice but came back. Maybe also check your headliner to see if it’s loose

The plastic trim back there wasn’t 100% seated when my car was delivered. A couple minutes pressing down on it fixed the creaking (separate from the rattle from the rear deck).

Back